Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Holy Grail (device)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Holy Grail (device)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: The Holy Grail (device) Reply with quote

I have a Mio P350 PDA with TomTom for road navigation and Anquet for local (UK lake district) hiking. However, for various reasons I am now looking to improve my package (excuse the phrase).

With trips, driving and hiking, to USA, Europe and Australia this and next year planned I was looking at my options.

I could be seeking the Holy Grail, but this is my wish list:

[list=]Portable device
Rechargeable in car
Good battery Life (mio is poor)
Worldwide CAR navigation maps (with voice directions)
Worldwide HIKING maps
Good resolution (ideally touch screen not stylus)
Worldwide Mobile (quad band?) phone (camera not important)[/list]

In the past I have been an early adopter of such technology and have paid the price, but I'm somewhat peeved at having to pay more for Tomtom and Anquet updates. Especially when I paid full price for a 'kosher' copies. But I now see similar software for free.

I'm thinking of purchasing the new HTC Touch HD PDA and then downloading 'Google maps' for driving and 'Tracky' for hiking.

Can anyone offer any advice? Would the above work OK worldwide?

Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that if the package you decide to use needs to download the mapping data on the fly for your current location then you need network coverage. In remote areas especially when walking/ hiking etc you will be devoid of a signal and therefore no map display.

In addition when overseas the cost associated with using data connections makes such services very expensive to use.

Finally you mention the Touch HD - a great device BUT the oddball screen size can often mean software simply won't run on the device - Mike
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I'm a bit sketchy on this download on the fly routine. As inferred I have only used Tomtom and Anquet for which I have the applications on the PDA memorand the map data on various SD cards. Downloading on the fly is new to me (my mobile phone is only basic and pay-as-you-go).

I presume you have to download on the fly for Google maps and Tracky, or can you pre-load SD card for the countries one wishes to visit. I will of course be relying on the GPSr to receive a signal. Do I need to subscribe to a network with a contract?

Your last comment surprises me. I'd have thought, like PC and laptops, that the screen size would have little impact on the application - let alone prevent it from running.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most PDA based devices use either the 240x320 (qVGA) or 480x640 (VGA) resolution, the Touch HD uses a rather unusual 480x800 (WVGA) screen layout.
If an application hasn't been written to use the screen size it will at best look out of proportion or at worst simply crash/ refuse to run. Its a relatively new device so quite a bit of the software around and in use has been available for much longer than the device.
There is no way of knowing whether an application will work correctly unless you know someone that is already using it on the same device - Mike
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help but feel this might be in the wrong forum....

Anyway, I use a Touch HD, so if there is any software you want me to try (and I can find a free legal download - trial or full version) then I can help. The WVGA screen size can cause some issues but luckily I have found most applications run well on it.
Google maps works perfectly but you do really need a mobile contract with an unlimited (or fairly large) data tariff as the amount of downloaded data can get quite large over time. Also it is not really written for turn-by-turn navigation like TomTom is. I currently use McGuider for my satnav, but you will need to pay for mapping updates as they become available.

As I said, let me know if I can help with testing any software for you.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, wrong forum.

The Touch HD ticks all the boxes in the list, with an option to carry a spare battery / mini USB supply.

The WVGA issue is rarely an issue. Most VGA applications will stretch to fit without any modification. For a last resort there is WVGAFix which will resolve any display incompatibilities although I have only ever called upon it once.

Of the two you mention, Google maps is pre installed and Tracky list the Touch HD as compatible so no problem there. It would be better to download off road mapping for Tracky at home before the hike.

For turn by turn road navigation there are all the usual offerings. Those mentioned plus iGo, Garmin and Navigon, although the last two are of the few that will work out of the box without jumping through hoops.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer to try software scarymonkey...duly noted.

Also duly noted; wrong forum. But what would you suggest?

I did look for a more suitable forum, but most seem to refer to specific brands. I have not really decided which hardware and software I require; hence GPS solutions, and I figured I needed PDA or Iphone. Hence the posting.

Thanks..sorry for any delays in replying..I am switching between home and work, and I am not always at my PC at work.

Cheers
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most appropriate forum would be the Beginners GPS Lounge as this one is really for talk about possible GPS solutions for the Apple IPhone - if Apple decide to grow up and allow turn by turn navigation on them that is. The beginners GPS Lounge is designed for chat about what GPS solution to buy - whether that be a PND or PDA/phone based solution. AIUI These product specific ones are there for more advanced questions specific to that product.
It isn't always easy to find the right forum though - I know I have struggled in the past too. Maybe one of the mods/staff will move this one over at a later time.

Last edited by scarymonkey on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved by me - I did consider this earlier but wasn't too sure where to put it - straight to the MS Smart phone section was my first thoughts, but it mentions that iSomething so I left it alone - Mike
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to topic now the post has migrated to the beginners lounge Razz

I have tried the trial version of Tracky and aside from the problem I have getting a GPS lock in my flat (it is seeing the GPS - and 1 satellite - though so thats not a problem), it appears to be working fine. As previously mentioned though, it will be a requirement to create offline maps for use when outside of a mobile area - in these instances I would also turn the phone and data connections off (in the connection manager) to save battery life - low mobile signal strength will use more battery power than a full signal strength.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for moving the Post Mike...although, because I'm at work and not receiving my personal emails, I struggle to find it. So I did a search thinking someone had moved it.

My Holy iGrail seems as allusive as the real one (if indeed it is real).

I also note that Google maps and Tracky don't appear to be too suitable for hiking in terms of how thay manage and dispaly footpaths etc. We are rather spoilt in the UK the OS maps are really good. Similarly Anquet maps are good (just expensive).

As for google maps I note it isn't yet as sophisicated as TomTom in terms of managing complex (high speed) raod navigation.

Maybe I'll hold off a while longer until the iGrail comes along.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, seems you have no idea what you want Laughing or you are hell bent on a iPhone solution.

First was a list for a device now you imply an i device.

Until Apple sort out battery life, provide a swappable battery, and do turn by turn navigation you will indeed be in for a long wait, gen3 at least.

Google maps and Tracky are indeed low level solutions, but that was your spec.

Perhaps better to research the software solutions first then sit it out for the iGrail device you crave?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not try something like an touch cruze or touch pro and use local payas you go sim cards also both devices have wifi.also id recomend 2 U2O mobile chargers i have a couple of these and think there great id recomend the i-up 5400 as they have n led light in them too they should be more than enough to keep a pda charged for
a day as long as you not hammering the data connection it should work fine

as for topo software im not to sure my self the eu usa should be fairly easy to sort out india im not sure of might beworth looking for local suppiler not sure if one exists

hopfully this maybe of help

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US, Telenav, and I think I remember Trimble as well, now offers topo mapping with a mobile app. I'll see if I can dig up the Trimble info if it exists.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Mmm, seems you have no idea what you want Laughing or you are hell bent on a iPhone solution.

First was a list for a device now you imply an i device.

Until Apple sort out battery life, provide a swappable battery, and do turn by turn navigation you will indeed be in for a long wait, gen3 at least.

Google maps and Tracky are indeed low level solutions, but that was your spec.

Perhaps better to research the software solutions first then sit it out for the iGrail device you crave?

With due respect I did post a wish list, and I have researched google maps and tracky. These were not a spec' merely 2 packages I thought might be suitable. I actually posted this question as PART of my research...after all if I had researched it all to the point of knowing exactly what I wanted what would be the point of this forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: