Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TeleAtlas Now Using MapShare to Add And Correct Roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TeleAtlas Now Using MapShare to Add And Correct Roads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: TeleAtlas Now Using MapShare to Add And Correct Roads Reply with quote

Speed Cameras, GPS, SatNavsTeleAtlas have today announced the first release of their map data that contains new and amended road data based on consumer input.

TeleAtlas MultiNet 2009.02 is the first release to make use of the GPS measurements of thousands of roads and millions of road miles obtained from TomTom devices. The data allows TeleAtlas to quickly see what is happening on the ground and identify issues such as missing road data, errors in the positioning of existing roads and roads no longer accessible to vehicle traffic.

Traditional sources such as government departments, TeleAtlas Vans and aerial photography have until now been the sources of road data. By adding the data supplied by individuals TeleAtlas is now able to increase the number of changes to its roads database and reduce the latency between changes in road infrastructure occurring and the changes being made available in map data. This comes on top of the first release of map data incorporating other MapShare changes such as traffic priority, speed limits etc which was released in October 2008.

As you can see from the images above, the GPS track data that is being constantly gathered shows how much value can be added to the maps with improvements in the accuracy of existing road data and the ability to quickly acquire new road data, particularly useful in rural areas that may not otherwise be mapped at regular intervals.

Jay Benson, VP at TeleAtlas told PocketGPSWorld, "around four times the length of the European road network is gathered in GPS track data every day", clearly that is a resource that TeleAtlas are making excellent use of and if map errors can be corrected efficiently and new road data added more speedily then it will go a long way to resolving the issues that customers complain of the most.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first reading this I thought great, they are listening. I decided to check on my submissions to Tele Atlas going back to the beginning of November 2008, they are all recorded as "We have received your report", suppose they must have quite a back log.

Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
I decided to check on my submissions to Tele Atlas going back to the beginning of November 2008, they are all recorded as "We have received your report", suppose they must have quite a back log.

Their map feedback system never worked as intended - I've submitted dozens of these since 2006, and even though many of them have been fixed I've never seen a status update or (as promised) an email telling me that my report has been addressed.

Now that their focus has shifted to the TomTom map feedback, I'm fairly certain they won't ever fix/upgrade Map Insight - which is a shame because there are lots of other people using their data other than just TomTom customers, and Map Insight has a lot of potential if they could just execute it well.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TeleAtlas Now Using MapShare to Add And Correct Roads Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Looks more like -poor alignment of the road than missing geometry (assuming the white line underneath the GPS tracks is the current TA data). This doesn't bode well if they can't even identify the right cause of the errors they are seeing in their press release...I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I'm wrong.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the mapping on google maps at 41.60898,-72.68779

The roads shown there match the satelite picture nicely but could not have been compiled solely from the satelite tracks shown above.

Teleatlas are probably using the satelite tracks to flag up areas which need a visit from a mapping van. Anything that helps them improve the maps is a good thing.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, what's the website that allows you to look at those tracks? Or is it not publicly available?

EDIT - just found that pic on the tt press site!

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Darren, what's the website that allows you to look at those tracks? Or is it not publicly available?

Sorry those images were released with the PR, the site is not publically accessible.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Darren, the pictures you used ARE publicly available!

Linked from www.teleatlas.co.uk.

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Actually Darren, the pictures you used ARE publicly available!

I meant the software/website used by TA to obtain those images isn't a public site, not the images released by TA as part of the PR themselves?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 pictures used on the main news item, i can view these pictures on my laptop.

Went to www.teleatlas.co.uk, then the news item on right hand side. scrolling down i get the link to www.teleatlaspresskit.com

In this site i get to view the two pictures! not a big deal, but its available to the public Smile

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my reply again Confused I wasn't suggesting the images weren't available, just that the software/website that allows the viewing of track data etc isn't!

We're talking at cross purposes here I fear!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, i understand. Sorry for my mis-understanding.

Ste

iPhone 12
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, this is Teleatlas using TomTom data, this data will be shared with all the other users of Teleatlas Maps, which will eventually benefit us users who don't use TomTom. I currently use The VW/Skoda maps provided by Teleatlas, so hopefully, when they next release an update (on CD) the maps will be more current.

My main problem at the moment is missing road names from the database, which makes it quite difficult finding where I'm supposed to be going. This will not change.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeProcter wrote:
As I understand it, this is Teleatlas using TomTom data, this data will be shared with all the other users of Teleatlas Maps, which will eventually benefit us users who don't use TomTom.

Correct
Quote:
My main problem at the moment is missing road names from the database, which makes it quite difficult finding where I'm supposed to be going. This will not change.

Why not? Missing names can also be fed back via MapShare?
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about that Embarassed

People have to manually input the road names themselves, whereas the tomtom devices automatically track the road network is where I was coming from.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: