Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New roads, map updates and speed cameras.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New roads, map updates and speed cameras.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: New roads, map updates and speed cameras. Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 250W with 2008 mapping and the PGPSW Speed Camera Datadase installed.

My Nuvi won't know or show roads which have opened recently and will plot routes as if they didn't exist. Given the cost of an update I can live with this. However, when that new road has a camera on it I believe that I will still get a proximity warning as I approach and an overspeed warning as I get nearer. Could someone please confirm that this assumption is, indeed, correct?

Thank you,

John.
Anquet Maps v06 6.2.11
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to test without doing it in real life. The main problem is that as Nuvi are road going devices they "snap to" the nearest road. This mean if you go "off road" it'll try to locate the nearest road point until you are back "on road". One example was when the A1 was changed when i had my i3 and i would have a minute of it flicking all over the place trying to "snap" me back to the nearest roads.

You also can't run routes where there is no road.

What you can do is find a point on that road and get the Longtitude and Latitude for it. Use the POI Submission Page to help get the Co-ords.

Append the location to the end of your Speed camera database using a dummy camera name i.e GATSO:99999@30 and set the @30 to 10 miles an hour beow the speed limit. Check it shows in the right location and then drive the road.
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The main problem is that as Nuvi are road going devices they "snap to" the nearest road.

My Nuvi 250W doesn't seem to snap to the nearest known road but, in 'View Map' mode, shows present location. So I'm hopeful it will pick up cameras on new roads.

Quote:
Append the location to the end of your Speed camera database using a dummy camera name i.e GATSO:99999@30 and set the @30 to 10 miles an hour beow the speed limit.

I've now found a new road to test your suggestion but would appreciate help on how to append a dummy camera to the database.

Thank you.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the CSV file in excel (or Notepad) and then you'll see how the information is stored.

i.e.

-1.99885,52.58378,"GATSO:12345@50"

add a new line with the longitude and latitude where you want to place the camera and where GATSO:12345 is the name and @50 is the trigger speed. Set the @50 to about 10 mph lower than you'll be going to make sure it triggers the alert.
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Open the CSV file in excel (or Notepad)

Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I use Ash 10's Camera Manager with Garmin's POI Loader. All I see are .gpx files in my upload folder and I don't have any software which allows me to manipulate these. For this exercise do I need to disable Camera Manager and manually download a .CSV camera database to work with or is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Anquet Maps v06 6.2.11
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you downloaded .gpx files from the camera database? The Compatibility/Installation table on the Download page only shows this format for a few vehicle databases, eg Landrover, mini. For Garmin Nuvi it says .csv Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How have you downloaded .gpx files from the camera database?

Ash10s Camera Manager downloads a csv copy of the single file database, manipulates the data according to the users specifications and settings and then spits out GPX file for the user to upload. This way the Nuvi can be configured for both Approach and Over-speed warnings.

Quote:
For this exercise do I need to disable Camera Manager and manually download a .CSV camera database to work with or is there an easier way?

Disable it temporarily. Copy the contents of the folder CM makes the files in to another folder and then download and unzip the database to the folder. Then edit a file and upload them with POILoader.

Once finished, just delete the downloaded database files, copy the original files back and upload them again.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - I had assumed that the csv files were unpacked and put in the directory by CM first and could therefore be manipulated before actually producing the gpx file.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: