Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MOve from PDA Navigator to All-in-One
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MOve from PDA Navigator to All-in-One

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magrat_Garlick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: MOve from PDA Navigator to All-in-One Reply with quote

At the moment I'm running Tomtom Navigator 6 GB on an old iPaq PDA. I use GPS-Gate to record my travels, edit POI's on my PC and load them on my PDA, copy Favourites from the PDA to my PC for to edit and convert to POI's. Can I do these with a Stand-a-Lone unit?

Apart from a bigger screen I can't see any differnce between the "One" and the "XL". Are there any?

I've read on the forums here that the Stand-a-Lone units can be updated with new maps and software. How? Are the updates permanent, or can they be reversed? Someone said that if an SD card has a more recent version of the software the unit will use that. Is this true?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but after searching the forum I'm just getting more confused!

M.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MOve from PDA Navigator to All-in-One Reply with quote

Magrat_Garlick wrote:
I use GPS-Gate to record my travels, edit POI's on my PC and load them on my PDA, copy Favourites from the PDA to my PC for to edit and convert to POI's. Can I do these with a Stand-a-Lone unit?

There's no easy way to automatically record your travels. There were some add-on programs which could do it, but it is getting harder and harder to keep these working as TT bring out new software versions.

You can still load POIs and Favourites from the PC, using ordinary file "copy and paste" techniques, and there are several POI editing utilities, "POIEdit" is a good one.

Quote:
Apart from a bigger screen I can't see any differnce between the "One" and the "XL". Are there any?

Not a lot of difference on the most recent versions... although before Xmas Comet did a "special" version of the XL which had the Text to Speech voices normally reserved for more the expensive "Go" models.

If you are looking for bargains, do be aware that there have been about 4 different versions of the One and three of the OneXL/Xl, and the facilities available have reduced with each one, as they try to make a bigger difference between the One and Go ranges.

Finding a reduced price Go 520/720/920 or 530/730/930 model may be better for you, as they have better hardware and software facilities and can be updated to the latest software/maps for free.

Quote:
I've read on the forums here that the Stand-a-Lone units can be updated with new maps and software. How? Are the updates permanent, or can they be reversed?

The units can be updated over the web, using TomTom's "Home" software utility. Software is free, maps need to be paid-for, but you usually get ONE free map update in the first 30 days of ownership.
Updates can be reversed, the easiest way is to make sure you have made full backups of the system (simple copy and paste again) before you make changes.
Once you know what you are doing, you can make major changes manually too.

Quote:
Someone said that if an SD card has a more recent version of the software the unit will use that. Is this true?

Yes... but the latest versions of the One and XL *DO NOT HAVE* an SD card slot. The old versions did and the Go models still do.

Quote:
I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but after searching the forum I'm just getting more confused!

These sorts of questions are never stupid! Sorting them out before you buy makes a lot of sense, and TomTom don't make it easy, with their ridiculous naming system and inability to clearly list what the differences between the versions are.

Any more questions, just ask!

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 520 is still available at very low prices but probably not for much longer, once the stocks are gone you will end up paying more for a lesser equipped device. Try clicking Here and see what you think, once updated to the latest software and map (which you can do for free) you will have a very credible device.
As Andy mentioned there are some third party software routines for data logging on the TomTom device, whether these will work with the latest software I am not too sure.

The Go devices are considerably more versatile, and offer far more features - if you are ready to purchase a unit and want a TomTom device then I wouldn't consider anything else at the moment - just looking at the value for money aspect the 520 at this price is incredible.

As for the POI options, a number of the One devices have restricted menus and don't allow the creation of POI Categories on the device, again the Go products come with the full menu and support more POI categories - Mike
Magrat_Garlick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the very useful information. I also like to have lots of options to update/modify/tweak and try as much as possible, which is why I've liked to use the PDA version. So, the 520 is the one to go with then ? Sort of dedicated PDA ?

TIA
Magrat.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of other TomTom navigation devices in the range, but for value for money you will be hard pushed to find anything better. If you need European mapping then the 720 or 730 are the devices to go after, but these cost considerably more. - Mike
Magrat_Garlick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I've bought it!

M.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: