Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Caught ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Caught ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Caught ? Reply with quote

Northumberland Camera (mob) Partnership wrote to 'someone', intending to prosecute for speeding at 35mph in a 30mph street.

As it happens the car was sold some time ago but this is a Censored waste of time and MUST surely be revenue raising. Evil or Very Mad

I fell off my seat when I saw the apparent speed. Arrow How many people today (between say 10am and 4pm) have not driven at 35 mph?

I believe the camera was a mobile unit as I was able to see the photos from their website. (no road markings and poor quality)

http://www.safespeedforlife.co.uk/view_offence.asp

So, is this a good use of everyones time and energies. It is somewhat perverse that we have an industry devoted to protection from speed cameras. A sign that many in society strongly feel they are there for money and revenue.

And we wonder why we are in a recession. We have a FALSE ECONOMY based on camera fines and now it has CRASHED (the economy, not my car!)
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Caught ? Reply with quote

gem wrote:
We have a FALSE ECONOMY based on camera fines

I may be a little naive but, surely, the economy is based on more than just camera fines - income tax, fuel duty to name but two.

If somebody is still the last registered keeper of a vehicle, then they will surely be contacted. Simply because a car is sold doesn't automatically mean that the new owner has been honest enough to update DVLA with their details, thus the seller will remain on the record as owner of that vehicle.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Caught ? Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Simply because a car is sold doesn't automatically mean that the new owner has been honest enough to update DVLA with their details, thus the seller will remain on the record as owner of that vehicle.

Is that correct? When selling a car you have to notify DVLA that you are no longer the owner. If the OP did so he should not have received the NIP.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022311

Sal
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller and buyer both have to notify DVLA

An acquaintance of mine had a similar problem when he sold a car to a 'traveller' and the buyer failed to submit their details as the new keeper.

The process of transferring ownership is not completed until both parties have notified DVLA, otherwise there'd be no stopping us all 'selling' our cars.

From Sallyann's link
Quote:
You and the buyer should follow the procedures correctly or you will remain liable for the vehicle until DVLA records have been updated.

Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

The process of transferring ownership is not completed until both parties have notified DVLA, otherwise there'd be no stopping us all 'selling' our cars

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting that after getting flashed you might report that you sold the car the day before, and then say you bought it back again the next day? That sounds a bit unlikely.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean.

No, what I meant was that a car would be 'sold' so that speeding tickets, lack of insurance or MoT couldn't be traced back to the owner
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you notify DVLA that you have sold your vehicle they will write back to you stating that until they receive confirmation of details of the new keeper (slightly different circumstances apply when selling to a trader) you are still regarded as the registered keeper.

That is why it so important to fill in all the Registration document at the time of sale so you cover yourself.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Sallyann wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean.

No, what I meant was that a car would be 'sold' so that speeding tickets, lack of insurance or MoT couldn't be traced back to the owner

So you would be driving without tax and insurance. If you were going to do that you wouldn't register the car in the first place and give the authorities any clue that you were connected with the vehicle.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if you had the car before you heard of ANPR etc - and we're drifting off the original topic and I don't want to be seen to be giving anybody ideas.

You are still regarded to be the registered keeper until DVLA receive the new owner's details, as confirmed in the DVLA page to which we were pointed.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are slightly missing the point. Question

DVLA are at fault as all paperwork was issued to them. The car was sold as part exchange to a dealership garage in summer 2008 (car was 1 yr old) and then subsequently would have been sold or auctioned by them.

My gripe is that the police mafia camera squad are trying to get monies and harass someone for 35mph. The mafia apparently were given the old driver (me) and address details. So I can laugh this intention to prosecute back to the sender.

All for a poxy 5 mph above some arbitrary 30.0mph limit.

No wonder this country's economy is failing if it is based on camera fines!

Rolling Eyes
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gem wrote:
All for a poxy 5 mph above some arbitrary 30.0mph limit.

If the speed limit was correctly marked, then it wasn't arbitrary Wink

and if drivers exceed the speed limit, whether it be a 30 or a 70, they should be prepared to take the consequences
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically you could be done for speeding going at 30.1 mph cos it's over 30mph...

likewise, your car tax being 1 day overdue - well, it's only 1 day... it's still illegal (unless you've bought it online or over the phone and they give you 5 days grace).

yes, speed cameras suck, but you were speeding so it's just tough luck i'm afraid!

another point to note, if you were done for 35mph then chances are your speedo was reading around 38mph or more...

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for rubbing it in even more, but arguably, the 30 mph limit is the most important one to stick to.
We've all seen the adverts where they point out how a kid is HUGELY more likely to die if they are hit at 35mph than at 25.

Yes it always stings when you get caught at something, but that's life...
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was caught doing 35 in a 30 and offered Thames Valley "retraining" aka the speed awareness for 60 GBP and no points or the 30 GBP and 3 points .. took the retraining

What was interesting was the focus they did on the 30 to 37 mph speeding range in the 30 zones and how "unsafe" it is ...as this is where something like 50% of accidents happen etc.. It was very focused on a bunch of very corner case examples to indicate an intended message, however I had to admit, there was a level of truth in it .. There where close to 20 attendees of all ages .. and all apart from one had been 35 to 37 in a 30 (one was 70mph in a 60 zone - see end of post because it his story was funny)

Its annoying as hell to be caught doing "only" 35 in a 30, however I was lucky to be offered the "speed awareness" .. I realised it had been 20 plus years since I had got my license and I had had no refreshes , No reviews etc.. In my case that speed awareness taught me a lot and I'm very careful (still) in 30 and 40 zones

* The guy was mid 20's and was caught doing 70 in a 60 .. it was a none dual carriage way .. straight road .. lovely clear day and he was driving along at 65 .. saw the copper stood in yellow vest by road side in the distance as he passed a "national speed limit sign.. thought its a 70 road and accelerated to 70 and drove passed the copper waving a "v" at him and smiling .. 2 weeks later he gets the NIP .. asks his dad why to be "reminded" National speed limit on none dual carriage way is 60. Apparently this is the second most common speeding mistake in the UK
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
yes, speed cameras suck, but you were speeding so it's just tough luck i'm afraid!

Just to be clear, the OP WAS NOT the driver, he had sold the car but yes, 30mph zones are the ones were most injury accidents occur. Many reasons but often 30 zones have parked cars, many junctions, lots of pedestrians and distracted drivers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: