Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone tried this on there Tomtom ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried this on there Tomtom ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry Darren if I misrepresented your comments but that was how it read to me.

I agree lets move on but I want to get on to the HGVsolution offering and whether it works and is supportable - does anyone have experience of this company that they can offer - even by PM?

I am aware that Navteq now offer a map data base ( Transport) which allows software vendors to incorporate that data ( road widths, bridge heights, vehicle dimensions etc) into its routing algorithms, but as yet, I am unaware of a successful product based on it and at least one product has been withdrawn prematurely because of technical reasons.

I am aware that HGVsolutions do not attempt to offer a better routing algorithm but it does look like a step forward for those of us who drive larger vehicles.

Roy
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:
I want to get on to the HGVsolution offering and whether it works and is supportable

Why not email them and ask what they do as regards how you would like to use the software they offer.

They seem to offer 2 solutions, standard and pro. £20 or £45, reading their site says 12 months support with 1 month updates for the first year and a small charge for continuing updates.

For £20 what have you got to loose Wink
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree - I will do that.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:
Yes I agree - I will do that.

Post back and let us know how you get on?
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put £20 towards something more useful!

You will only get what is given free on PocketGPS site but perhaps a few extra bridges and at best.

Good luck.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I think the HGVSolution is iro £50/£60 rather than £20,so it is an amount that needs thinking about.

I am not so interested in the low bridges but rather the ability to specify my vehicle width and allow it to warn of narrow roads. In any case it would seem to add a bit of extra functionality but perhaps I am wrong. Sadly no one has come forward with any experience to advise.

Roy
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,

RoyC wrote:
I am not so interested in the low bridges but rather the ability to specify my vehicle width and allow it to warn of narrow roads.

I can't remember if you use a TomTom or not, but you might want to have a look at the TomTomWork website that offers:

TomTomWork wrote:
route information specifically designed for trucks, with relevant information like clearance heights and weight restrictions.

The software has new routing algorithms, making it possible for truckers to avoid small town roads and narrow residential areas where possible. Typical truck speeds are taken into account, so truckers get realistic expected arrival times. They can simply enter their vehicle's parameters - measurements, axle weight and total weight - into the software and it will do the rest, maximizing their routes and helping them to avoid 'obstacles' that could delay their arrival.

I don't know if TomTomWork is aimed more at fleet operators than owner drivers of LGVs but try the website and contact them. They might be able to provide you with a solution.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the TT Work link. I was only recently made aware of this new product but using your link I discover that it is an addon for something else ( more money?) and only runs on TT GO products.

If possible I want something that runs on a mobile platform like a PDA which is how I currently run TT in my Motor Caravan. I have been waiting for CoPIlot to release a 'Transport' version of their PDA product which I was told ( nod nod wink wink) by ALK would be released mid 2008 but it hasn't happened and I hear no sign it will be anytime soon.

I can wait a little longer while I take in all the options.

Roy
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
RoyC wrote:
It would be nice to hear more detail than just - 'avoid it'.

Is it using stolen information?

I'm not the doubtless aggrieved author of the original work but you can draw your own conclusions
Quote:
Does it not work?

Most probably but that's not the point. Download free files from here instead.

I looked at the link and was surprised to see that there is a directional element to configuration of poiwarner use of pgpsw speed cameras with an angle of approach. Is that just for TomTom or can the principle be applied to Garmin units?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
I looked at the link and was surprised to see that there is a directional element to configuration of poiwarner use of pgpsw speed cameras with an angle of approach. Is that just for TomTom or can the principle be applied to Garmin units?

All of the gps units POI-Warner support can be found HERE Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: