Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route 66 on Samsung Omnia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route 66 on Samsung Omnia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JessopSmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Route 66 on Samsung Omnia Reply with quote

Samsung are recommending Route 66 as the only navigation software tested and approved for use with the Omnia.

After looking at the websites I'm tending towards CoPilot

Although my first (and cheapest) choice would be to find a way of tricking TomTom Navigator 6 to work since I've got all the maps etc from my old HTC p3300.

Any advice / suggestions?
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Route 66 on Samsung Omnia Reply with quote

JessopSmythe wrote:
Although my first (and cheapest) choice would be to find a way of tricking TomTom Navigator 6 to work

But it does work!

If you are using an external (Bluetooth) GPS, then it just works (though see below).

If you want to use the built-in GPS, it needs some jiggery-pokery and the use of a port-splitter like PortSplitter (freewareppc.com/communication/portsplitter.shtml)

1. Configure External GPS on Port COM3, 19200 baud
2. Configure PortSplitter
Input - COM3: (have to type it, as not in the drop-down), 19200 baud
Output - COM7
Autostart on
3. Configure TomTom
Generic NMEA GPS
19200 baud, COM7

And away you go.

Trouble is, the Omnia and TomTom don't seem to play ball very well. Randomly, i.e. anywhere between every 5 seconds to every 30 seconds, TomTom has a fit and decides you are anywhere up to a few miles from where you are, and it then takes a couple of seconds to relocate itslef back to the true position. Meanwhile the map is flying all over the place and you may well get fed duff instructions in the process. This is definitely an Omnia/TomTom interaction. TT on another WIndows Mobile 6.1 - fine. Other GPS-based programs on the Omnia - fine. Any clues/remedies would be much appreciated.

Oh, and the other thing is that it will only work in landscape orientation for TomTom v6.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: