Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW:TomTom Bluetooth Remote Control - worth the money?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW:TomTom Bluetooth Remote Control - worth the money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the remote very useful when travelling. Simple to operate while still keeping eyes on the road. Safer than stretching any day.Duncan

go 1005
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a reset of my 520 I can no longer get my BT remote to pair Sad

HummerUK
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the Blue LED illuminates on the remote and it might be an idea to put new batteries in (good luck with opening it), make sure Bluetooth is enabled on the TomTom and press a button for a few seconds, it will take a while for the unit to see the device but it should still work folloing a reset - Mike
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a press of the reset button on the base of my 520, waiting a bit, power on and then tried a button on the remote it came up with the message to pair device.

Perhaps it only looks for new ones after a cold boot of the TT operating system?

Many thanks for the tips

HummerUK
MadBaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the remote for my Go910 in my car door pocket and find it very useful for adjusting the volume.

I've never bothered working out what the other buttons do.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadBaz wrote:
I keep the remote for my Go910 in my car door pocket and find it very useful for adjusting the volume.

I've never bothered working out what the other buttons do.

You DID say the 910 - that's a wireless remote, whereas the one here is Bluetooth.

No matter. It's pretty damn good, give it a try. The centre button is the equivalent of a tap on the screen, the up, down, left right presses move the selection accordingly, the bottom right nodule would bring up the Details menu, bottom left would then select the Details view, bottom right would be Done, bottom centre is for the occasions when there's a bottom centre button to press. The centre button is "OK", or "Enter" when you're doing something with it. You can operate the 910 completely without tapping the screen, which is pretty handy if it's a long arm's length away, or if you sometimes hit the wrong icon with a wobbly finger. I used mine all the time when I had a GO700 and wouldn't be without it.

You really are missing a trick if you don't give it a try.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I find the old RF remote from the x10 range a better device, it is more responsive in use - you can also use it to "play" with adjacent cars navs units when stuck in traffic (not that I would ever do such a thing).
The BT remote takes much longer to sync to the device, and once locked to a unit it can only control the single device - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. Mike's dislikes are my favourites - I couldn't use the RF remote when I had more than one device in the van, whereas the new one will only affect the device I've linked it to. I never did manage to play with anybody else's (and I did try, you west of the pennines hypocrite!!). The one better feature with the RF remote was map scrolling - that is a VERY sad loss on the Bluetooth one. And, unlike Mike, I find the BT one more responsive and reliable at sending instructions.

Just goes to show, you'll probably always get two sides (at least) with every recommendation!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: How long are your batteries lasting? Reply with quote

I am on my third set of batteries, and have only used the device on an actual trip once. As every other time I've gone to use it, it has not responded, and when I changed the batteries it works again.

I like the unit and particularly like the one press to pause the audio, but have only been able to testing at home as it has always been flat in the car.

Is it trying to connect the a bluetooth device or is it getting pressed all the time in the car? I have tried to place it where it should not be getting press all the time.

Any ideas?
benjamino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Accessing the quick menu Reply with quote

Just to say you can also use the remote to access the Quick Menu if you have it enabled and set up. Just hold down the central of the 3 raised buttons. (pressing it normally plays or pauses the music) - Must say I'm relieved to discover this as wasn't expecting it be possible after reading the review Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hold down the central push button in the "joypad" in the x40 range it activates the voice command.
Belgarath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the bluetooth remote be set up (with a 940) so that it can forward to the next music track with one press (without going through the menus).

Chrs.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgarath wrote:
Can the bluetooth remote be set up (with a 940) so that it can forward to the next music track with one press (without going through the menus).
Yes it does this as supplied there is no setting up required - Mike
benjamino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the remote has dedicated buttons for next track and previous track when in the main map mode. Works on the 530 anyway but think it is a standard feature.
Belgarath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks.

Does the remote come with a mount/holder like the 910 did? I noticed on a advert for the garmin they had something similar that fitted actually on the wheel that you could press with your thumb without your hands leaving the wheel. A solution like that would be neat.

What are people's preferred MO for using the remote? Do you have it mounted on the dash somewhere near the steering wheel, or on the seat next to them or some cubbyhole nearby?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: