Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - turning uploaded route on and off.... heeeelllppp
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

turning uploaded route on and off.... heeeelllppp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaz285t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: turning uploaded route on and off.... heeeelllppp Reply with quote

Hi im a total numpty when it comes to things like this, ive uploaded several routes and plan on doing one this weekend, however I can only afford the 1:50 maps and the thick yellow line appears that I have to follow but it totally obliterates the paths underneath, is there any easy way of hiding it quickly without turning the route off then activating it again so I can see what im supposed to be following? cheers
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I'm new too, and have to say that I'd like the yellow "highlighted" route to be more transparent than it is. When you first view the route it's solid, then drops to about 75% transparent. That's not enough to easily see whether you're looking for a path, bridleway or lane etc.

I'd like the transparency of the route to be confugurable so you can set it to your own personal preference. I'd go for something like 25%, and turn it pink, as the yellow colour can get confused with roads or national park borders.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if when the long awaited on-line route planner finally appears, whether there will be the facility to change the route colouring and transparency, that in turn can be uploaded to the Active 10?

Terry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many waypoints are you putting down on the route? I don't find the yellow route marker line much of an issue while I am out, but I only use a few way points:

-Mike
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it to be accurate (for the route stats), but within reason. I generally have long sections reasonably free of waypoints. I guess I'm used to Anquet, where I can have whatever colour and level of transparency (and width of route) that suits me.

Edit: Actually I'd like to get rid of the red arrows
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaz285t

I have to say that I have never found it too much of an issue. you can always zoom to see difficult bits more clearly.

The Satmap will remember the zoom level from the "normal" map view when you go into the planning view (move joystick). So the bottom left button puts it back to your previous zoom level. So rather than just zoom in, move the joystick first. Saves multiple presses to zoom out again.

In answer to your specific question, to remove the yellow route:

In the routes menu select the "no routes active" top of list. This will turn the route grey if you have settings / route control / show inactive routes/ set to show them, otherwise the route will disappear from the map completely.

You may find this less obtrusive. You will lose a lot of functionality relating to the route eg distance/bearing to next waypoint etc, but you will still be able to see where you are relative to the route.

Not elegant, but my best suggestion with the current firmware.
kaz285t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that advice, think ill try that, I emailed Satmap and must admit they are great, they always reply to my silly questions, they actually said it is on the wish list for the next upgrade, they said a number of people have requested it, so hopefully for us 'beginners' it will be a help.
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you kaz285t I also have found that when following a route it can obscure the map detail.

My suggestion is to have the ability to make the route more transparent and also have an option on the map view screen that would remove the route from the display for a short period of time on a button press.

I have logged this both with Satmap and in the Whishlist on this site.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yesterday I found myself wandering down a minor road instead of my route because the colours are the same. Look me a few minutes to realise what had happened but will be more aware in future. Only a minor problem however.

What was more of a problem is that I reversed the route and it came up with 22,000 miles to go not 4! Must be going via Australia. Not noticed this before.
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just me then! I reversed a 2 mile route, and it told me it was 268000 miles home. Have reported to Satmap a couple of weeks ago

Rick
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip/trick that is useful for setting waypoints (for any device - including non mapping ones) is to set the waypoint just AFTER the "obvious" point (eg track crossing). That way when you are at the track crossing the bearing to next waypoint is already pointing you down the track you need - no need to check too much. In complex situations; it's sometimes good to do a waypoint just before and just after the area. I usually aim for 50-100 metres past the feature. It's suprising how much easier it is to navigate doing this.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't that mess up your route stats? I imagine you'll be cutting corners, and diving into ravines. Okay so the distance covered may only be a fraction out, but the ascent could be way out. I like to know what I'm up against before I set out, but I take youir point that as a navigational aid that's a top tip. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: