Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there a mute option on Navigon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a mute option on Navigon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Is there a mute option on Navigon? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Currently finding my way around with a new Medion MDPPC250/Navigon system.

Can I mute the voice instructions but still get visual navigation, for example if I want to take a phone call? Don't know if I'm missing something obvious but I can only see how to stop or pause navigation altogether.

Ta Happy
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a single button that can mute the sound-output of the Pocketpc...It maybe possible to configure using the PocketPC OS...

The way I have wired mine is that all sound is switched via the car-stereo...So normally listen to music...if there is an GPS announcement it interupts the music...if there is telephone it interrupts the music and telephone has got higher priority than GPS so if GPS is interrupting and telephone goes it interrupts the lot...

This might be difficult to achieve with a build-in car stereo though....

Remember that it is not safe to handle your equipment whilst driving....
rd57chad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to switch volume off click on the speaker symbol next to the clock in the top right hand corner & select off . Obviously you shouldn't do this whilst driving along - so isn't suitable for taking phone calls - however if your fed up of being given verbal commands & would rather navigate by just using the screen it'd be ok .
Boost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions. Don't you think it would be useful if you could toggle volume on and off without coming out of the navigation software, I do. Wouldn't use it very often but every now and again it would be handy. I agree that a fully integrated navigation/stereo/phone system is best, but hard to achieve with the pocket pc which I move from car to car.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the days that I was using the built-in speaker...Surely it is not that loud that it is disturbing during a phone call...Also the directions are fairly short...

My car is very and I mean very quiet, BMW 750iL V12, but the speaker is still softish...Especially when you have the stereo on as well...

Very dangerous situation you are painting here...potentially hear the phone ringining, turn down the sat-nav, turn down the phone, keep an eye on traffic and pickup the phone...Or even worse, when using carkit the phone should be on auto-answer otherwise you are handling the phone.......

Not having a go, but please consider the safety of me, my family and other road-users....I get of my pedistal now...
Boost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a proper hands free speaker phone kit in my car which I can answer and use without taking my eyes off the road. It is easy to navigate by the shematic intersection view on Navigon showing what exit to take off roundabouts etc instead of the voice and the map. As I have the PDA mounted on my windscreen in my field of view it is no more dangerous to glance at the screen than it is to glance in the rear view mirror for a split second. It would be nice to turn off the volume as to enjoy a better quality of phone call. Anyway if you have the BMW system you can mute that by pushing and holding the centre knob IIRC so why shouldn't I be able to mute mine too? Also in a 750 iL with an engine that size you're more likely to choke your kids with pollution before I run them over ;)
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something which might help you is the shareware Navigon add-on called Glopus. Among the many functions it adds is one which alters the volume of the PDA announcements according to the noise level in the car. (Another option is to vary the volume according to the speed of the car.)

I haven't tried the software and I'm not sure how well it works, but I gather that it uses the PDA's built-in mcrophone to sense the ambient noise levels and adjusts the speaker volume accordingly. It should therefore react to you having a phone conversation (provided that the PDA's mike is sensitive enough and close enough to you).

The shareware fee is 15 euros. The snag is that the software and the accompanying Web site are in German. But if you are finding the PDA announcements intrusive, it may be worth giiving it a try.

You can find the web site here:

http://www.glopus.de

and a Google translation of the page describing the volume-altering functions is here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.glopus.de%2Fothers.htm&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: