Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav for Work (Needs British Nat Grid) - Help for a newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav for Work (Needs British Nat Grid) - Help for a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakesUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: SatNav for Work (Needs British Nat Grid) - Help for a newbie Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been tasked to get something suitable for assisting in the work we carry out.
I am looking for something suitable to help guide collegues to the locations of groundwater boreholes. We have the locations in Grid ref format e.g NY 111 222. Due to the number of sites to visit, we would want sat nav guidance to drive close to the site, as most tend to be on farms.

So the question is, what is available for just over the £100 mark, is the best option a satnav or a handheld etrex thing that will guide you in.

Many Thanks for any assistance, i know similar questions have been asked about NGRs

Andy.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I happen to know that my GARMIN nuvi 660 will do this as you can select BNG (British National Grid) as an option. This would allow you to set destinations in this format and navigate to them (or the nearest point on a road). You could also use the device out of the car, set on-foot mode and navigate to the borehole. The 660 will give you the straight line direction and distance to the destination in this mode. However they aren't weatherproof by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if the current nuvi devices (2xx,5xx,7xx) allow this method of working though.

The other approach would be to go for something like the GARMIN Colorado/Oregon/GPSMAP60 devices which are designed for outdoor navigation and can also run the GARMIN CityNavigator products - allowing full road navigation. However I find the screen to be too small for his sort of work.

The GARMIN nuvi 5000 is an outdoor rugged version of a nuvi (doesn't have all the bells and whistles - like BT handsfree/TTS) - but I don't know if it does BNG/OSGB grid/datum. I would think so - but check.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nuvi 7xx series doesn't appear to allow you to do this.

Just:

h ddd mm ss.s
h ddd mm.mmmm
h ddd.ddddd
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuvi 3xx allows national grid but the 2xx doesn't.

tomtom x20 doesn;t allow national grid either.

t'other options i mentioned were converting all your bore-hole coordinates into lat/lon (decimal degrees) and installing these to a device that would also allow off road use.

the nuvi 3xx would probably be ideal - can enter national grid coords and is old enough to be cheap BUT due to it's age it it probably hard to get hold of one...

see ya

MaFt
LakesUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little demo in halfords, i had converted one of the NGR to lat/long and we inputted it into the Garmin first. Whilst it looked to have found it, it didn't show an overview map of start and finish, it just started out with turn right out of road etc. Didn't like this as i wasn't sure the final destination was the right one. Is there a way to view an overview map as the chap there said there isn't.
By comparison the TomTom (of which the baseXL version looks good), we tapped in the lat/long and you could then see an overview map, zoom in and out, or even choose the destination by tapping on the zoomed out map where to go.
Was the chap just a Tom tom enthusiast or is he right about the garmin?

If so looking at Tom Tom XL at 130 a piece from Halfrauds.

Andy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to do similar functionality on the GARMIN device!

However if you want the TT XL then have a look at totalpda here . They have them at <£81 (inc VAT).

I bought my 720 from them a short while ago - would recommend them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the XL offers the functionality you need then I'm pretty sure all TomTom's will including the cheaper ONE models.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the garmin nuvi's after entering the coordinates you get a screen that says 'go' - along the bottom of this should be an option of 'map' or 'view' which will show the entered postition on a map.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: