Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen Protector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen Protector
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Screen Protector Reply with quote

Whilst browsing some older posts someone suggested using an Invisible Shield screen protector for the inner screen as it is vulnerable to scratching if grit etc. gets caught between it and the removable screen.I seem to recall somewhere that they are about £40 to replace.

Had a browse at the site and there is a protector made specially for the SatMap ( and many other devices ).I have ordered one ( about £7.70 ) with free P & P from the US.I imagine it will take a while to arrive what with Christmas and New Year.I will keep the forum informed as to whether it is any good or not.

https://www.zagg.com/

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just checked my on-line credit card statement and it is £8.11 inc P & P.

Ian
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No consolation to Bosun, but for others, Google for a voucher.

New customers get sent codes to share with frends giving 20% discount. These often get posted of forums such as moneysavingexpert.com.

Can be used to buy protection for cameras pdas etc too.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as 4ndynorfolk says,I have two vouchers for 20% off that expire in 30 days.

If anyone wants them then drop me a PM,first come first served.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Invisible Shield arrived this morning.A very rapid service all the way from Salt Lake City,Utah and at Christmas as well.

I thought it was going to be difficult to apply but it is in fact very easy to get a good wrinkle free application with no air bubbles whatasoever,just follow the instructions.The trickiest bit is peeling the protector off the backing.It needs 24hrs to "cure" so don't do it if you want to use the unit straight away. Fits perfectly as well.Much easier to apply than sticky-backed protectors.

Seems an excellent product

No one has claimed the 20% off voucher codes,still there if anyone wants them.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's now well and truly "cured" and the protective screen is back in place.

You just can't tell that the Invisible Shield is there,not a wrinkle or bubble in sight and the map is just as visible as before plus secure in the knowledge that the inner screen can't get scratched.

Seems worth the money to me.

I humbly suggest that SatMap should have them as an official accessory,or fit them from new.

Ian
em194543
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Well it's now well and truly "cured" and the protective screen is back in place.

You just can't tell that the Invisible Shield is there,not a wrinkle or bubble in sight and the map is just as visible as before plus secure in the knowledge that the inner screen can't get scratched.

Seems worth the money to me.

I humbly suggest that SatMap should have them as an official accessory,or fit them from new.

Ian

I too bought one of these and am very happy with it, when you say your fits perfectly though, is it the same dimensions as the inner screen? as mine is bigger and looks to have been designed with the outer cover in mind.

Cheers
Mark
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is slightly bigger as well.I can't see it being for the outer screen though as these are relatively disposable/replaceable but I suppose you could be right.

Ian
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just fitted mine. The size does seem to be intended for the outer cover - but that would be a bit of a waste.

I had to uses some gentle T-Cut to remove some minor marks due to the two screens rubing with dust trapped between them.

The spray really helps avoid bubbles and irregularities so it is worth being quite generous with it on the sticky side I think.

Do you still get the "watermark" contact between the screens with this shield in place?
MarchHare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Invisible Shield Reply with quote

All those thinking of getting this 'Invisible Shield' for the Active 10 try putting in this code, SHOWSP09 found it on a blog and it gives you 50% off i've tried it and it looks like it works. The cost comes down to $5.98 thats about £4 cant be bad..........
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled the code - many posts say that it expires 19th Jan. 2009.

There are still fine ripples and transluscent irregularities in the shield after 10 hours and a trial fitting of the top cover shows that the watermark remains.

It says in the paperwork that thes smaller flaws should disperse in 2-3 days - I hope that this is true. It is currently useable but not "invisible".
gunny7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Invisible Shield Reply with quote

MarchHare wrote:
All those thinking of getting this 'Invisible Shield' for the Active 10 try putting in this code, SHOWSP09 found it on a blog and it gives you 50% off i've tried it and it looks like it works. The cost comes down to $5.98 thats about £4 cant be bad..........

Thanks for that, just used it to order several covers-satmap, i pod etc. Got 50% off- quite a substantial saving. Thanks. Wink
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I am delighted with the shield after 24 hours ! Confused

The water mark goes when I release the cover but returns with the slightest pressure. There are also visible ripples in the surface, a fine surface linear scratch in the middle top-to-bottom and visible opaque regions in the adhesive layer.

Is this a poor example, or it clear/harden over the next few days?

I cleaned everything very carefully with lint-free photographic lens cloth and followed the instructions for applying. The linear scratch seems to have been there before using the included rubber squeegee.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westlothian,

I too have a watermark but I didn't have until I recently removed the outer screen as I could see some bubbles through it and thought it was the Invisible Shield.It turned out to be a screen protector on the inside screen of the outer screen ( if you see what I mean ).I removed this and the bubbles went ( I had already removed the outer protector ) but the watermark then appeared.This was a replacement screen as the original got damaged during removal.The original probably doesn't have an interior protector.

A possible solution to your watermark problem then maybe to replace the screen with a new one that has the interior protector or perhaps put a proprietary screen protector on it ( Jessops do them I think ).The watermark doesn't particularly bother me as you can't see it when the SatMap is switched on.

As far as the Invisible Shield goes I haven't had any problem.You have all on to see it is there,no wrinkles or scratches at all.

Ian
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just wondered if these screen protectors are easily removable should they develop the above problems? If they are are the re-applyable?

Just curious. I've ordered one for the inner screen, and wondering whether to order a second for the outer as well. That way I should never need to replace a screen... or should I get a 3rd for the inside surface of the outer screen? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: