Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions on the use of the S90i.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on the use of the S90i.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Questions on the use of the S90i. Reply with quote

Hi Navmaners!! Used this thing on Sunday up to Lambeth and back from the South Coast. Now have some questions please?
TMC - is this thing supposed to work? Never got a signal the wwhole way up or back - stayed grey! In the box is a traffic antenna so where does this plug in as the only holes it will fit are the headphone and microphone sockets. Without the aerial - nothing. Also the setting is automatic station detection but I get no other choices or way of manual tuning. Again how?
Routing. It tried to route me up the M3 when I wanted the A3 although it took a little while before it stopped trying to make me do a U turn on the motorway. Coming back, it tried to reverse the route which meant crossing the river and it took to the Kingston By-pass before it stopped trying to turn me right and across the river! TomTom very quickly picks up the new route but this is a persistant little !!
It rebooted twice - both at the wrong moments in difficult situations in London. Is this normal?

I wish I had my TT back - if I can sort out the above bits and then juggle the POI's to have speed cameras and a few others before the 12K limit is reached, it may stay. Garmin had this problem with 256 categories of POI and they sorted it out. Why can't Navman?
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel a bit happier now - plugged in the traffic antenna into the headphone socket and got 19 traffic events sitting at my dining table!!! I thought it was just a headphone socket!! Bummer.
Now need to sort out the routing problem! And I am going to use their normal satnavs and use PGPSW mobile ones only to see if that sorts out the rebooting problem.
Any advice welcomed.
Doug
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: s90 Reply with quote

I have had the S90i for a year now, it is a very nice unit, but it does a lot of silly things, I would not even bother to have any POI's if you want it to be stable, even a few POI's will start it rebooting, which is very infuriating as it always reboots right at the wrong time.

TMC has always been quite good
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, moved the slider from fastest route to the mid level - between the fastest and shortest - tried the route I did today and it went via the A3 rather than the M3. So perhaps that's that one sorted as well.
Unticked the PGPSW cameras except for the mobiles so see what happens with the rebooting. Is there a way of using one of the speed camera sound files from PGPGW with the Navman camera files rather than the crap one that is supplied? And does it have to be the only one in the folder? I was getting speed camera warnings and route directions at the same time today. Very annoying.
Thanks again
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Any ideas guys please? Reply with quote

Emailed Navman Support about thw 12K limit for POI's and the guy who very quickly came back and said he had never heard of this restriction. I pointed him in the direction of the camera site on here and his final words were that there is not a way round it and did I have any suggestions!
So what do we do now? Surely a programmer could sort this out - Garmin did it with their Nuvi units?
Any ideas because the Navman database is nowhere near as good as the ones from here but just the Tesco part is 1500 POI's which does leave a lot left out of 12,000?
Doug
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas guys please? Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
his final words were that there is not a way round it and did I have any suggestions!

Ah - glad to see some consistency here - this is precisely the sort of response *I* got from them a few days back - see my thread re NavMan's apparent axing of their support team.

dougproctor wrote:

Surely a programmer could sort this out

Of course - but they seem to have axed their development team, too - otherwise the two lots of "patches" (read: "practical jokes") that they issued last year should have addressed this and many of its myriad other "quirks".

dougproctor wrote:

So what do we do now?

Bung it on eBay, flog it for thirty quid and put the money towards a TomTom. Seriously. Having briefly resurrected mine after my old PDA broke down, I'd forgotten quite how depressingly bad the S-series units are. Crying or Very sad

--

Cheers,

Dave
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bung it on eBay, flog it for thirty quid and put the money towards a TomTom.

Come on Dave, not what I wanted to hear after flogging my TomTom and getting this! I like the clear display and have used the camera already so it is not all bad. Will have to persevere but I get bored easily so perhaps it won't stay for too long!!
Can't believe the bit about not being able to sort the POI bit out though! "Have I any ideas?" Yes pull your finger out and get it sorted!!
Crying or Very sad
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have emailed Navman again about this POI problem. They proudly advertise "has 500,000 POI's" when the HP Ipaq 314 has 12 million! And that's an inferior product.
Have emailed Handtec about this problem and asked for their advice. I do like some aspects of this unit but I need reliable POI's and speed cameras and this unit, with its restriction, is not really fit for purpose.
And the lady who I sold my TT 730 to, for a mere pittance, loves it to bits and won't give it back!! Baah humbug. Crying or Very sad
Doug

Last edited by dougproctor on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: S90i Reply with quote

For a sat nav unit that at the time I bought it was £240 it's quite sad it has all these faults, I lived in hope that Navman would sort the problems out, but no, infact, I have never bothered phoning them up because I know it would be a complete waste of time.

I purchased the navman speed camera data and found it really quite crap, even cameras near where I live were not showing up and it was even adding cameras that are not even there.

It also sends me on some bizaar routes to get where I want to go, I have been looking into buying a TT 930 have played with one in halfords, the menus are super fast compared the the s90

But like all sat navs.... I have looked at the TT forums and all sat navs seem to have some sort of problem or another.

so really undecided at the moment
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT 730/930 are much faster and better than the Navman - I should have kept mine! And you can add as many POI's as you like which is good. Go for it.......
Doug

Oh and message from Navman Support - currently no updates planned for the POI capacity. Perhaps if we all complained, they might do something!
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Quote:
Bung it on eBay, flog it for thirty quid and put the money towards a TomTom.

Come on Dave, not what I wanted to hear after flogging my TomTom and getting this!

Laughing Sorry, it's terribly unfair of me but I find that hilarious. I can't believe you flogged a TT730 for the NavMan! I can only assume you didn't read any reviews and/or comments on this forum first, most of which absolutely panned it. Certainly the 12K POI limit was posted about all over the place. Besides, my suggestion to flog the S90i wasn't intended as sarcasm. I've only kept mine as a "backup" to my ancient PDA/Navigon setup.

dougproctor wrote:

I like the clear display and have used the camera already so it is not all bad.

You see: you can only think of a mere *two* aspects of the S90i which you like. No, it's not *all* bad... just *mostly* bad! Laughing

(But, yes, I agree with you that the display is a good'un. Very Happy )

snowwolf wrote:

But like all sat navs.... I have looked at the TT forums and all sat navs seem to have some sort of problem or another.

The crucial difference, though, is that while TT may be extremely slow to respond to problems, they do at least get around to sorting some of them. You simply cannot say that about NavMan who have addressed precisely NONE of the problems the S-series exhibits and left their customers high'n'dry. They have demonstrated that they don't give a toss about the usability and quality of their products, nor their customers. I'd love them to sue me for saying that.

--

Cheers,

Dave
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I didn't swop the TT for the Navman - I sold it and bought the Navman. Anyway, after my conversation with Navman and their intention to do nothing about the POI limit, I have explained all to Handtec and they have said to get an RMA to return it. So it's going back, I hope.
Probably a Garmin next - still to decide.
Doug
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Dave - I didn't swop the TT for the Navman - I sold it and bought the Navman. Anyway, after my conversation with Navman and their intention to do nothing about the POI limit, I have explained all to Handtec and they have said to get an RMA to return it. So it's going back, I hope.
Probably a Garmin next - still to decide.
Doug

Just out of inrterest, Doug, why *did* you sell your TT ? And why would you favour a Garmin over another TT ?

I wish it had occurred to *me* to use the "not fit for purpose" clause with regards to the POI limit! Laughing

--

Cheers

Dave
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Just fancied a change. Like the clean display compaired to the TT. Had that about 5 months and liked the 90i before. Then, I was not interested in POI's but now can't have enough information. If Navman had said they were going to sort out the limit, I might have kept it. I think that was the cause of my three reboots in London and believe me, they were at the wrong time for me!!
That sort of reliability I do not need.
Looking at getting a Garmin Nuvi 660T if I get the return sorted out.
Doug
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think I could get a refund if it's over 1 year! I did keep waiting for Navman to sort things out and they havn't, I really can't make out what Navman are upto????

I bought the new Navam S100 3 months ago, yes I am a glutten for punishment!!! I played with it for 20 mins, hated it it, maps look dreadfull, speed is slow and it could find a signal when standing in front of my large bedroom window!! atleast the S90i did find one or two.

Luckily I got it from Halfords and even luckier, they did give me a full refund!!!!! phew that was a close shave.

Could have been lumbered with two Navmans!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: