Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New software release
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New software release
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

I noticed when I got it (it had 1.2 software) it showed 4 bars then after a couple of days use it suddenly went through 3 then 2 bars then died with little warning.

I am now running 1.300 software, I used it with Li-Po battery for 5 hours last week then today it showed 3 bars but I was able to use it for another 7 hours, and it still shows 3 bars.

Charging is still weird. Doesnt show progress or full, you just have to leave it overnight. Cant switch it off to charge - as the instructions say - since it turns on as soon as you plug in the charger - if you then try turning it off it then repeatedly beeps.

Found the best strap is to make a prussik loop with 2mm dyneema cord so you can hang round neck, can adjust the length.

Really needs a barometric altimeter, the heights / ascents are a waste of time. But I guess it would use more power, although they have plenty of room for a bigger battery - the Li-po looks like a real after thought - maybe when they found out what the real duration of using AA was.
marty-w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height accuracy is fine. Just change the settings to take height from os map, you can't get more accurate than that.

-martin-
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty-w wrote:
Height accuracy is fine. Just change the settings to take height from os map, you can't get more accurate than that.
-martin-

You might think so, but unfortunately the total height calculation is wildly optimistic whether you use satelite 3D or OS map data. As it's something that has been obvious from first release it will hopefully be rectified in the forthcoming new software.
bluewomble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way: I had an email from SatMap on Saturday (in response to an email query) claiming that v1.3 will be out on Tuesday... I'm a little more optimistic than I usually am about Satmap release promises because Tuesday is a bit more definite than 'probably next week'...
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian2U,

Where did you get software 1.30 please? I can only find 1.20

Thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty-w wrote:

-martin-

... except OS only claim +/- 4.5mtr accuracy on their contours. Only spot heights are 'accurate' and that depends on their measurement type. The original manually surveyed 100+ trig points are the most accurate. The DEM used by Satmap and others will contain estimated heights from a satellite based radar survey every few tens of metres. It will depend on how much storage space they want to take up as to the spacing between the points. The height at a point on the map is calculated from the closest point and the surrounding points. On gently undulating ground this will be OK. On rugged terrain the accuracy will be less. However I would agree - it's going to be the best you can get. Averaging over a long time will help - but of no real practical use on a walk!
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickwiggans wrote:
Hi Ian2U,
Where did you get software 1.30 please? I can only find 1.20
Thanks

The update is available here.
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - found it this morning. Must have looked too early on Tuesday!
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty-w wrote:

-martin-

The OS data will come from either a grid DGM or 10m contours. Each height can be out by +/- half contour or grid spacing, so two successive points can be 10m out which is why the results from contour counting or DGM interpolation are not very good.

An altimeter will be OK to about 2m provided its calibrated, but even if uncalibrated the differential heights will still be good.

Altimeter is superior to DGM or GPS derived heights but eats through batteries.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: