Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - gatso forward facing ??????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

gatso forward facing ??????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: gatso forward facing ?????? Reply with quote

hi,
i live in leicester and there is a camera that i have added because it is in the wrong position . 3344@30 gatso .anyway i didn't get life membership even though it did get moved slightly from looking at my sister's database.The camera is a gatso as in the but the camera faces you when you drive up to it, ( the camera would take a picture of the front of the car and not the back ) . But in the description it says that these type of cameras take pictures of the rear of the car. you can see the camera in the satellite image . hope i've made myself clear.
LB-Greg
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TopBanana

I'm sure Gatso (rear) and Truvelo (front facing) are all classed as Gatso's in the database.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that as you drive South, on Welford Road, you can see the camera lens before you reach the camera?

Or has the Gatso been changed to a Truvelo?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can but it looks like a gatso in the pictures you have ,there is also lines before and after the camera you can see these if you look on the sat view in google etc
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: gatso forward facing ?????? Reply with quote

topbanana4 wrote:
anyway i didn't get life membership even though it did get moved slightly from looking at my sister's database

without having been back to the master database to check, it is likely it was processed as a heading change as the location was correct and the type and speed etc. hence no lifetime.

MaFt
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the location is not correct you can see the camera where i put the location in google maps ( you see the shadow of the camera on the middle of the road
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't place the markers where the physical cameras are. we place them on the road you need to be driving on the be 'caught'.

your submission basically provided the heading data and i took it upon myself to move the camera approx 10m so it was placed on the road. considering that the best gps receiver will be accurate to around 10-15m maximum this is hardly going to make any difference at all other than making the map look 'neater'.

did you take your gps coordinates while stood stationary by the speed camera? if not then how can you be certain they are accurate? matching a location on the satellite image is not perfect and there are many instances where the map data differs from that of the satellite image and frequently by a considerable distance; hence we do not use satellite images to verify cameras.

MaFt
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did use my gps unit but the position of the camera in the database is about 25 yards out.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the camera TYPE, are you SURE it isn't a Truvelo camera?

The three lines to the north, across the carriageway, look just like the Secondary Speed Check Lines for a Truvelo. In fact, at full magnification, you can even see the faint marks on the road where the piezo sensor wires have been laid, about 10 feet prior to the white lines.

THOSE piezo sensors are the device that measures your speed so it could be argued that the best location for the database is another 25 yards NORTH of the present position rather then 25 yards south!

Finally, it looks like there used to be a Gatso here, judging by the other short measurement lines further south. Obviously these are in completely the wrong place for a front-facing camera, unless there is something ELSE in use. There are a few experimental set-ups with other camera types.
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my girlfriend works at the hospital near there and we think the camera used to face the other way ( south lines ) then they changed the other way round but i don't think it looks like that camera on the pic, when she is back working at the hospital i'll get her to get a good look , hopefully take a pic .
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter was caught by this specific camera a few weeks ago which she is disputing on the belief that she had just pulled out of the roadside parking places just before the camera, so has requested picture this morning which is appparently available, obviously this will take time.
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i went past the camera today and took a pic ,anyway it is a forward facing gatso ,i have a pic but don't know how to insert it into the forum thread

Edit once to add image - Mike Alder
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could send it to an email address and they could upload the image .hope this helps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use my e-mail button below this post and send it to me, I will add it to your post - Mike
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi MaFt
you said you didn't move it much but befor i submitted the camera it was at ( 52.62717 & -1.13269 ) and my reading at ( 52.62698 & -1.132844 ) so i think the camera was quite alot out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: