Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2610 or 2620? For 3 countries in Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2610 or 2620? For 3 countries in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Garmin 2610 or 2620? For 3 countries in Europe Reply with quote

Hello,

I live in the UK where I travel and go sometimes to Switzerland and France.

I have already a 256 CF card.

Cf previous email, I am considering buying a Garmin 2610 and upgrade CF card when 2GB cards are much cheaper than today.

1. With 2 * 256 CF cards, is it possible and easy to install UK on first 256 CF card and Switzerland + France on second 256 CF card for ex.?

2. In my case, is the price difference of at least $300 justified? Is 2620 quicker (large CF) and more stable (no dependency on PC install and switch CF cards)

Thanks in advance,
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I don't know how much help this might be, but here goes. I think the 2620 comes with a 2Gb microdrive with all the European maps on it. This means that if the microdrive goes Pete Tong then your maps are lost, as I don't think you get any data CDs with it. Whilst I'm sure that Garmin would sort it out for you eventually, there remains the prospect of having to send away the whole unit.

With the 2610, you get Garmin CityNavigator on CDs, so if your CF card goes wrong, you either reformat it and reload or buy another and reload from your own pc/laptop.

Personally, I'd choose the 2610, as you'd also have the opportunity to buy other maps (USA, Australia, S. Africa for instance) and save them onto your CF card(s).

As to the size, I don't know the difference between CitySelect (which I have) and CityNavigator (which comes with the 2610) but you would certainly get the whole of the UK onto one CF256 card using CitySelect, although France and Switzerland together come in at around 270Mb. CitySelect offers the choice of including or excluding automatic re-routing data. The figures I have quoted *include* that data.

Again, and it's only personal, I'd choose to buy a single high speed 512Mb Compact Flash card, onto which I could load the UK, France, Switzerland and more besides.

Oh, and that £693 is an extremely good price. Do you know how much shipping to the UK would be?
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

Shipping is EUR30 (~£20) for the UK.

As for warranty, see my separate post. Garmin warranty is valid in Europe within 2 years.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't worried about the warranty regarding the 2620, merely the fact that if I had to send the unit to Garmin, I wouldn't have use of it.
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARMIN 2610 = EUR 880 before tax & delivery

http://www.aspidshop.com/export/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_7_8&products_id=18

EUR 880 (GARMIN 2610)
+ EUR 30 (Delivery)
= EUR 1,082.90
= GBP 715.52 (10 June 2004 exchange rates)
+ GBP 14.31 (2% commission which is max. with credit card payment in Europe with my bank)
= GBP 730 (not too bad considering cheapest price in UK is £890)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: