Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Time for a change - what TMC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for a change - what TMC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Time for a change - what TMC? Reply with quote

Its been a long time since I posted on here, I've been reasonably happy using Navigon 6.2 on a PDA with a Navigon bluetooth GPS mouse with built in TMC receiver and a splitter from the car aerial.

Performance of the PDA is now reflecting its age and everything is a bit slow, TMC still works fairly well though.

I'd like to replicate the set up but would prefer an all in one unit, what I've not figured out yet is whether the splitter can be used direct to a new GPS unit or do they all use an external TMC device?

Any recommendations on an all in one unit?
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've had a look round the forum and I can see that the TomTom TMC receiver doesn't take an external aerial without some DIY. Do any of the other makers have the option of using an aerial splitter?

Whilst the info I get through Navigon is'nt always the best I'd rather have it than not so I'm happy to get the same feed into another unit if anyone can advise on the question above?

If not I guess I'll be updating my PDA!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dio wrote:
OK, I've had a look round the forum and I can see that the TomTom TMC receiver doesn't take an external aerial without some DIY. Do any of the other makers have the option of using an aerial splitter?

One of Garmin's devices does, discussed here, but the GTM21 that came with my 765T does not.
Quote:
Whilst the info I get through Navigon is'nt always the best I'd rather have it than not so I'm happy to get the same feed into another unit if anyone can advise on the question above?

I'm not sure who Navigon use for TMC data, I 'think' it's iTIS. in the UK there are two providers of RDS-TMC/FM data, iTIS and RAC-TrafficMaster. Garmin use the latter.
Quote:
If not I guess I'll be updating my PDA!
Where is the TMC receiver in your PDA Setup? Is it a combined GPS/TMC Mouse?
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is the TMC receiver in your PDA Setup? Is it a combined GPS/TMC Mouse?

Yes, it's the combined unit that originally came with Navigon 4! I've got the unit sat in a little cubby hole in the dash with the aerial splitter and external gps cables feeding into the back. Ideally I wanted to get a tidy set up that was also as effective on the TMC.

Not adverse to a bit of DIY if TomTom is the best way to go (no pun intended!). I was considering TomTom One V4 or Navman S80 (not sure what the set up is on this though)
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted a Garmin Nuvi 300T in Tesco yesterday for £99, I know this is an old model know but do you think its worth a go at that price? I'll try attaching the GTM12 to my splitter

Last edited by dio on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dio wrote:
Spotted a Garmin Nuvi 300T in Tesco yesterday fro £99, know this is an old model know but do you think its worth a go at that price? I'll try attaching the GTM12 to my splitter

It's still a good capable device and at that price I don't think you'd be disappointed. Does the TMC receiver it is supplied with definitely have an external antenna input?
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it does but I'm sure there must be a way of attaching it to the splitter? I'll have a go at it and post back how I get on!
eyesnears
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Navigon TNC Reply with quote

I have Navigon 6.0 on PDA and am interested to see you get TMC. I have integrated GPS ( Fujitsu Loox 520N) but of course not a peep out of TMC in UK because it is not a free service.
Please excuse my ignorance - but how do you manage to get traffic info?
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon TNC Reply with quote

eyesnears wrote:
I have Navigon 6.0 on PDA and am interested to see you get TMC. I have integrated GPS ( Fujitsu Loox 520N) but of course not a peep out of TMC in UK because it is not a free service.
Please excuse my ignorance - but how do you manage to get traffic info?

I first purchased Navigon 4 back in 2004 with a Pocket Loox 420 and TMC was ok but patchy, it kept losing alll the messages every time it locked onto a non TMC radio channel (well, the other transmissions that Navigon doesn't recognise)

Anyway, to keep this short, I complained to Navigon for months (possibly a couple of years) and they sent me a fresh copy of Navigon 6 with the TMC enabled, all free of charge!

Its worked pretty well ever since, but only after I installed the aerial spltter
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
dio wrote:
Spotted a Garmin Nuvi 300T in Tesco yesterday fro £99, know this is an old model know but do you think its worth a go at that price? I'll try attaching the GTM12 to my splitter

It's still a good capable device and at that price I don't think you'd be disappointed. Does the TMC receiver it is supplied with definitely have an external antenna input?

I've bought this unit now, at 89 in Tesco it seems ok. Just looking over the unit in the house it is picking up a good sat signal and TMC from the living room but I'll see how I get on in the car once I get it set up. I'll try the GTM 12 on its own first, if not I'll hook it up to my splitter somehow
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dio wrote:
Darren wrote:
dio wrote:

I've bought this unit now, at 89 in Tesco it seems ok. Just looking over the unit in the house it is picking up a good sat signal and TMC from the living room but I'll see how I get on in the car once I get it set up. I'll try the GTM 12 on its own first, if not I'll hook it up to my splitter somehow

Hooked this up with the GTM12 going up the rhs of the windscreen, drove 10 mile return trip and it picked up 50+ messages....I'll try it on a bigger run soon but so far it looks ok! I've still got the splitter to fall back on if I need it.

Can anyone tell me if the traffic info coming through the Nuvi is from the same source as my old navigon unit (tried them side by side and there were less alerts in the Nuvi but I put that down to the signal strength)
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARMIN use the RAC Traffic-master system and Navigon (like TomTom) use the iTis system - so there will be different sets of info as well as different coverage areas (i.e. different transmitters).
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been using the unit for about a week now and the TMC is coming through on every journey so far, although I've not done any major trips yet. I've still not rigged the aerial to the splitter yet as it doesn't look like it's going to need it.

I regularly get 80+ updates per trip and this morning I had a low severity warning for slow traffic on the M5 for 4 miles which turned out to be 60mph for a couple of miles but it was a reasonable warning that I chose to ignore. It's a shame you have to go through two screens on the Garmin to show the full details of the warning.

I guess that predominantly using in the Midlands area is giving me better coverage than those elsewhere.

Thanks for all you help

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: