Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newsletter Video Links Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newsletter Video Links Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Hallo????

Summat's not quite right.

It's your first attempt at it?

Might there be a clue there?

Huh? Who is that aimed at?

Gee-Pee wrote:
Just one problem two of the links in the Newsletter do not work. The one to see the video in WM merely takes me to the Forum index. I don't have Quick time so have not yet seen the Video.

DennisN wrote:
Neither of the links work for me from the Newsletter, Darren. WMV just shows a pgpsw page with a hole where the video should be, containing a small box with a red cross. QT offers to download QT for me, which I refuse, because I've already got it installed on my PC, so it too then shows the page with hole and box with red cross.

Win XP Pro X64 Edition, Version 2003, SP2. Firefox v3.0.5.

Anita wrote:
I have QuickTime installed and Firefox is my default browser.

I've never before had a problem with links in e-mails, including those in PGPSW Newsletters, or had one open a webpage inside Outlook Express.
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to return, been out all day. At the time of Anita's posting, I would have loved the opportunity to add that I have also never had a problem previously. I haven't changed any settings or installed/re-installed for Outlook Express, Quicktime and WMP. As I had already seen the entire video during proofing prior to it being released in the newsletter, the only reason I came to this thread was because Gee-Pee said it didn't work for him, so I tried the same myself. And suffered the same result. I felt it valuable to contribute a fact that he is not alone. I find it hard to believe that only three readers have had this problem. I felt that reminding "you" that....
MikeB wrote:
We have been trialling methods to present a video tutorial, and after many itterations we have arrived at our first effort for TomTom devices.
....might persuade you to wonder if the links actually do work for everybody, or whether some strange bug had crept in.
Darren wrote:
As the actual links work fine I'm not going to spend too much time on this save to suggest you stop using IE or install QuickTime

OK. I'll stop using IE and I'll install Quicktime!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness I'm not alone then Denni's?
.....sorry!

At least the links in MikeB's Video thread work. So no worries. Wink

Graham
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually referring to our first attempt at a video tutorial not our first attempt at a video. We have something like 35 videos that we have published, so we do have a bit of experience...

I have checked the links in the Newsletter and there is no reason that they should have failed. They are exactly the same as some of the previous videos with the exception of the video they are opening. This is not an issue of trying to open a direct video so QT or WMV is not an issue here. Do the other links work OK for you? It may be something to do with Constant Contact's statistics collection, or the possibility that we are embedding a URL as a parameter to the email link.

If the links in this post work for you then there is nothing wrong with the software configuration on your PC, but an incompatibility between Constant Contact and your email application.

The direct links are Click here for a quicktime movie, or click here for a Windows Media video.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those links are perfectly fine, Mike, just as they are fine also in the actual thread. It's only the email links which go wrong, opening a pgpsw page within the email and not working the videos.

Not just my email configuration - I've heard privately from others who have the same problem. Have you done such a link in the newsletter before - I don't recall one.

My concern is that pgpsw have a top reputation and this offering does it no good with several people.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOTH those forum links work fine for me, Mike - the QT one opens but does not run simply because I do not use it and it has been disabled, however if it were there, then the link would work fine.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my two-pennorth.
I use Firefox Browser and Thunderbird email.
WMP link doesn't work - brings up the text page.
Don't use Quicktime and have no intention of doing so.
I also have I.E.7 and Outlook Express installed (only because there is one site I use that insists on using them and not Firefox).
Once again WMP link doesn't work but this time brings up a blank square place-holder instead of the screen.
It would therefore appear to be problems with the email side of things. This is the same whether using the original links or the direct links given in the above post which is even weirder!
WMP is set as the default viewer. No changes made to my system in months and WMP works perfectly with everything else.
Hope it gets sorted eventually as you guys are so good at everything else you do!

.....Ken (Heywood.U.K.)

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem partially solved.
Just noticed that "Active X controls" were turned off in IE7.
Enabling them got WMP to work with both direct/indirect links.
Still can't get it to work with Firefox though.

.....Ken (Heywood. U.K.)

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: