Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion MDPNA100 storage card access problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion MDPNA100 storage card access problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Medion MDPNA100 storage card access problem Reply with quote

I have a friend's Medion PDA [MDPNA100] he say's he cannot access the storage card.

Anyway I have had a look...and neither can I.

I have tried a soft reset, and a hard reset - still no luck. I have checked the card through my laptop and card reader and it appears to be OK and all files are intact. But when I run 'file explorer' on the medion I do NOT see the storage card listed.

I have even put the storage card (256mb MMC) in my PDA (a Mio P350) and I can see all files no problem.

Has anyone any ideas how I can view the storage card via file explorer on the Medion? It seems as though the medion simply cannot access the storage card slot.

Many thanks
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to copy the files from the card to your main pc.

Then format the card, put it in the Medion and then use ActiveSync to put the files back on it.

Before you do the above, just to check it works. Connect the Medion via ActiveSync, then try copying a file from your pc to the storage card. If that works then you could try my above idea.

MAKE A FULL BACKUP FIRST OF THE CARD ON YOUR MAIN PC

This usually happens when the card is not in a format that the Medion likes. I know it should be, but the Medion's can do this for some reason Crying or Very sad
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already done this and still no joy.

I copied the files from the MMC card (using a card reader) to my laptop. I then re-formatted the card to FAT32. I then copied the files back to the card, again using the card reader.

I did try to copy the files from my laptop to the PDA using activesync, but the storage card is not visible.

The card is OK as I can read it in my PDA. The problem appears to be that the medion PDA simply cannot see the storage card. It is not listed in file explorer\my device, nor can I see it when exploring via activesync.

In the medion file explorer there is an icon for 'storage card' but when I click it it just lists something called 'my flash disk'.

Thanks
PsychoJock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the PNA210T,(I know it's different type of device), but I have found I need to insert the SD Card and then reset the device to get it to recognise it.

Hope this helps

Regards
PsychoJock
Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using an MMC or SD type card? - if its an MMC card can you try an SD type instead, it could be the device cannot access the type of card you have inserted - Mike
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a soft and a hard reset; with card in and card out. The PDA will still not recognise the card.

I have also put my SD card(s) from my PDA into the medion. Still no joy.

Maybe the storage card drive is simply broken...
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I now have further evidence that the storage card drive is broken or otherwise out of service.

I have loaded MEDION-Navigator directly on to the PDA. When I run the program and after switching on the GPSr, I get a 'satellite' icon that turns green and indicates the number '4'. I presume this is the number of satellite signals I am receiving.

However, if I then go to 'show map' or 'select map' I do NOT see any choices as the maps are actually on the MMC card. Therefore, the PDA cannot access the storage card slot/drive (I think).
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that one of the contacts in the card slot is bent down. You could try using a needle to lift them up one at a time to see if that works.

ONLY NEEDS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF PRESURE TO MOVE THEM (NEEDS A VERY STEADY HAND).

There is also a tab on the back of the card reader, can only be accessed by removing the case. This tab tells the unit that a card has been inserted, could be that.

MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE UNIT OFF FIRST - WITH THE MAIN SWITCH
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit is not mine, so I'm reluctant to disassemble it. As advised, I have had a look inside the storage card slot, and as far as I can tell the contacts all look to be OK. Not sure about the tab though.

Is there not a diagnostic application I can download and run to check out the storage card slot?
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all, especially 'pocketgps' - this issue is now closed.

As 'pocketgps' suspected it was indeed poor contacts.

After going cross-eyed and drawing blood using my wife's darning needles. I had a brain wave. I 'painted' each of the 7 brass contact strips of the MMC card with black marker pen. I then inserted the card - BINGO - contacts 1 and 3 remained untouched.

So I CAREFULLY pried these contacts until I had contact. I can now see 'storage card' in file explorer and Medion-navigator accesses the maps on the card.

THANK YOU - AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done - it makes a change these days for someone to fix a unit rather than binning it and getting another one, plus you get the self satisfaction knowing you have resolved the problem
That was a clever way to work out which contacts needed adjusting, simple when explained, but simple fixes like this are often very effective - one to remember for the future without a doubt - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us all know that its fixed Clap

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Merry Xmas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: