Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Transmitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Transmitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Has anyone else had the problem that FM transmission on a 720 stops working (including the Jukebox) after installing the 8.204 application? When reverting back to 8.300 it works fine again, but then you get other problems that have been heavily discussed in various forum threads...

/Ulf

I tried 8.204 on my 920 and same problem with FM transmission for Jukebox & audio books. Everything other than FM worked great but I decided to go back to 8.010 and wait for the bug fix in 8.030

Last edited by garcor on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garcor wrote:

I tried 8.204 on my 920 and same problem with FM transmission for Jukebox & audio books. Everything other that FM worked great but I decided to go back to 8.010 and wait for the bug fix in 8.030

Ok, then I know that it wasn't only my device that showed this behaviour.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone else has picked this up.

I was so surprised by TomTom's insistence that it was EU law that caused them to switch off the FM instructions that I contacted my MEP. It took some time but he has confirmed that there is no (repeat no) EU law banning these transmissions. I have drawn this to TomTom's attention and received the following response:

Quote ...Thank you for your feedback , and the quoted email. I took this and spoke with my manager asking what we can or are doing about this. I was told that our legal department had been working on how to make this function work. Apparently the standard quoted to you is one that each country can choose to impose or not. As i am not a legal expert i am not exactly sure how this works. The response i was given is that they need to alter the software so that when the FM transmitter is in use it is a continuous broadcasting device. Once this has been rectified in a sw update in the very near future. I was not able to get a date of the release just that it should be soon. .....Unquote

It seems all we have to do now is wait and we will get our devices back the way we thought they should work. In the meantime I will not hold my breath.
Satsync 1.525
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inquiry LostMike. Let's hope that TT puts this feature back via a firmware update soon!

Ulf
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has picked this up.
Have a look at the end of the post Andy_P made Here it contains a couple of links to something you might like to ask the MEP to comment on, in particular the parts about a transmitter not sending out silence for more than 60 seconds - don't expect a reply though as I doubt he will understand the question - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote
Quote:
you might like to ask the MEP to comment on, in particular the parts about a transmitter not sending out silence for more than 60 seconds - don't expect a reply though as I doubt he will understand the question

His point was that this is not EU law but a trade standard so I don't think he would have any views about silence! However if TomTom can sort things out to their satisfaction and let me hear the instructions again soon. Then I will be content.
Satsync 1.525
Crossbovv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
matthewj wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
apparently it is due to some obscure EU rule about *not* having intermittant FM transmissions.

How does that fit with FM being in the new 940? Or is that different in some way?

But it doesn't transmit instructions AFAIK.

Correct

In germany the 940 transmit music and instructions to the radio:
"Über den FM-Transmitter kann Musik über den integrierten MP3-Player und Navigationsanweisungen durch die Auto-Stereoanlage wiedergegeben werden"
But it is also blocket..

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand what i wrote..
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a user is using the MP3 player as well, then the Tomtom is transmitting all the time. The voice prompts should be reactivated if you use the MP3 player this way.

All Tomtom really need to do it transmit SOMETHING every 30 seconds. Even if the something is a very quiet hum or the Tomtom drums etc. If the Tomtom is also sending out the MP3 signal then the 'ambient' sound could be automatically disabled.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin, similar to what you describe is what I would like the unit to do, if there is an mp3 playing give the user the option to route the nav instructions via FM as well, if no mp3 is playing then disable the FM Tx, This allows TomTom to comply with the regulations and the users would be happy as there would be the option to play a silent mp3 track Wink - it works on the Garmin units - Mike
Crossbovv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Is also important to know, from this thread:

mikealder wrote:
You cannot use Navcore 8,010 with the v825.2157 maps that are employed for the x20 and x30 devices, it simply doesn't work - you wouldn't get the IQ-2 Routes feature for a start - Mke

That is true, but 825.2159; 825.2144; 825.2158; 825.2167; 825.2118 and 825.2158 maps are working great with go720 navcore 8.010.9369.

Table removed following discussion with Admin/ Moderators, the general feeling is this advertises/ assists with map piracy and as such is not something we allow - Mike Alder
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point that is important to note, where and how are you getting these maps from?

If you use the official route of purchase through TomTom Home with the device connected you will only get specific maps that are the correct ones for your device. If you are using the correct download/ activation then you would never get anything other than v825.2157 with the x20/ x30 products - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: