Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One V3 Destroying my car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One V3 Destroying my car
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in St Martin's. Work in St Peter Port.

Have you see Darren's review of the ARKON Mounts ?
saikee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think a brand new car has anything to do with a suction pad from a sat nav unit but if it matters I did fit a spare suction pad to the wife new Golf GTI Edition 30.

I suppose different users can have different experience with TomTom. I post here because it didn't "destroy" my cars.

Until more speak up we wouldn't know who is in the majority. For all we know the forum may be dominated by TomTom competitors.
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello saikee.
According to TT your not supposed to leave the suction unit on the windscreen yet pulling it on and off weakens it's suction. And no don't think any competitors only disgruntled owners.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP rx5935 travel companion running TomTom uses a cup mount and this DOES have a lever. It is very strong though I do use a grill mount it has to be said.
MattNZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomtom windscreen mounts as discussed above have a clear design fault that TomTom will not help out about or admit too.They will all eventually fall off!, Look on the internet about the 1000's of complaints about them! People who offer suggestions to lick them, push them harder,use soap, god knows what else! are wrong and also stupid. The suction mount needs a lever, and TomTom should recall all these units, they know its wrong, thats why you can't get through to them to complain! I am amazed that even this website has complained to them and they still do nothing! People have had accidents due to the units falling off! I hope someone one day has the money etc to take tomtom to court, they are breaking the fair trading act and they know it! I am selling mine!Why should we have to buy new mounts!!!!!!
Never buy a TomTom!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattNZ wrote:
People who offer suggestions to lick them, push them harder,use soap, god knows what else! are wrong and also stupid.

An interesting idea this one.......

So because I know how to attach my 720, 930 and 940 mounts to a windscreen and they don't fall off, but because I share advice on how this works I am classed in your eyes as stupid - grow up.
fishingdobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a PDA - mobile vent mount for my go 530, no problem at all, I gave up with the suction mount the second time it fell off, bounced off the dash and on to the floor of the car.
MattNZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: While I'm growing up.... Reply with quote

While I am growing up Mike, could you Please be kind enough to repeat to the 1000's of others and myself how your amazing way of keeping these suction caps stuck to the window %100 of the time is achieved, which obviously can't involve licking pushing harder,alcohol etc, and @ the same time being able to remove/replace it all the time with ease too. Whats your magic trick, we would all love to know!?? you know there isn't one! so why be a smart arse to me in return.
I'm 35 and an Electronics Technician,Moderators usually reply with more maturity.Kind Regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very clean screen (alcohol is quite handy to clean the glass and the suction mount) - apply the mount using firm pressure and once attached don't remove it, I have a couple of units that have only been taken out from time to time to swap between cars and don't have any issues at all even with the original 720 mount that is now some 18+ months old.

Avoid areas of high curvature on the windscreen as these can cause issues, I don't like being referred to as stupid for offering such advice hence the terse earlier response - Mike
jezbod
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Another "Stupid" user Reply with quote

Have you tried tieing your device to your rear view mirror with a cord?
Even if it does become detached, it should just swing about and not fall onto the dash or the floor.
This is why I use a vent mount - does not obstruct view out of the windscreen and less likly to commit suicide just when you need it the most.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own car I use a vent mount, but when using my wife's Saxo I use the suction mount. Part of the windscreen has high curvature and it won't stay put if I try and mount it there. But if I go up a few inches it is much flatter and if I moisten it with a little saliva it stays in place without any problems (I always clean the screen when I remove it to clean away the tell tale rings)
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a bit of Velcro. If you're quick you might some cheap before Woolworths all close down. Attach a little bit to your PDA and to somewhere on the dashboard. Easy.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you can get one for a TomTom but my wife uses a bean-bag mount for her nuvi 310. It's really wonderful - stays rock-solid on the dash and means it can be used in any vehicle.

I have always used BRODIT mounts for devices in my cars (PDA/phone/Sat-nav) as I don't like things obstructing the windscreen - the car manufacturer's build in too many blind spots as it is Laughing
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Loss of cup suction - resolved! Reply with quote

Digging out an old post here but at least it shows I have tried to search an answer before bothering people!

OK - suction mount for my Go920 has started to fall off after a few seconds. Been OK since I bought it ( ages ago ). Tried cleaning screen and cup etc with different things but no good.

Eventually sussed that with time the grey plastic 'cup' that covers the rubber bit has, with time, flattened to the degree whereby when pressed in the centre there is not enough movement to create the required suction as it flexes back on itself. A bit of time spent bending / manipulating the splines back into a convex shape to start with appears to have solved the problem.

Sharing this as it seems many people have had similar problems and resorted to buying a new mount.
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn - is this in the right place? Apologies if not!! I am sure somebody will move it. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: