Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X3 New Motherboard no gouga
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X3 New Motherboard no gouga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim X3 New Motherboard no gouga Reply with quote

Hi,My Dell X3 charges up but will not power up...I have tried resetting it to no avail.

I can obtain a new motherboard for it cheaply but it has no OS or lanuages,what would I have to do to get it working?.

Regards Question siddler
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new motherboard may not fix it - the charger circuitry is partly separate isn't it?

To answer the question (and this is mostly semi intelligent guesswork!) I would expect the motherboard to have sufficient firmware on it to be able to download a version of the operating system (similar to how you upgrade the O/S on these devices where the device is started up in a different mode). However this may only work with proprietary s/w used by the manufacturer. A completely unintelligent motherboard would be a major hassle - removing and replacing the firmware memory chips is not for the home DIYer - these are complex multilayer boards and even the smallest soldering irons will damage something usually.

Maybe it's time to look at getting a new PDA? It's nearly Christmas Very Happy

Have a look at this AXIM site . The forums on there are very useful and there is one devoted to the X3 (and siblings). Membership is free.
siddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Axim X3 Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
A new motherboard may not fix it - the charger circuitry is partly separate isn't it?

To answer the question (and this is mostly semi intelligent guesswork!) I would expect the motherboard to have sufficient firmware on it to be able to download a version of the operating system (similar to how you upgrade the O/S on these devices where the device is started up in a different mode). However this may only work with proprietary s/w used by the manufacturer. A completely unintelligent motherboard would be a major hassle - removing and replacing the firmware memory chips is not for the home DIYer - these are complex multilayer boards and even the smallest soldering irons will damage something usually.

Maybe it's time to look at getting a new PDA? It's nearly Christmas Very Happy

Have a look at this AXIM site . The forums on there are very useful and there is one devoted to the X3 (and siblings). Membership is free.
HI Thanks for the info...I can borrow a working x3 suppose I back it up and restore it to the new motherboard do you thing this is possible?

siddler
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt you would be able to do a simple restore as this usually requires the operating system (which it doesn't have?).

You will get a much better answer from the forum in my previous reply. There will probably even be someone who has done something similar.
siddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I would doubt you would be able to do a simple restore as this usually requires the operating system (which it doesn't have?).

You will get a much better answer from the forum in my previous reply. There will probably even be someone who has done something similar.
Hi thanks will give the site you advise and come back too you.

Thanks again....siddler

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: