Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Tom Tom One Regional v30 - Avoid
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tom Tom One Regional v30 - Avoid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deejaydee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: New Tom Tom One Regional v30 - Avoid Reply with quote

Having used the first and second versions of the TT One as no frills sat navs I had no hesitation in replacing my old failing v1 with the new TT One Regional (Version 30).

It is a total failure in many areas compared with the previous models:
- The lack of memory expansion precludes update to a western european map if ever required. This lack of expansion is a serious failing and limits the future useability. To supply a paltry 512mb internal memory in these days of increasingly cheap memory is inexcusable.
- Planning software is incredibly poor compared with the earlier versions. Planning the route takes considerably longer and then it returns a route selection that is so obviously the least effective that it beggers belief! This has failed me on every route I have planned since buying the device 2 weeks ago. Even using the "find alternative route " command
doesn't return an acceptable route only an increasingly bizarre selection. The previous versions planned the most effective route first time and considerably quicker.
- Useful menu options have been removed. It is no longer possible to browse the selected route which is a very useful feature. All the more necessary now to check that a half decent route has been selected by the new software. Surprisingly this menu option is still there but hidden from view - it can be found by selecting "Avoid part of the route"!!!
- Response time is pitifully slow compared with the old model. I have taken numerous wrong exits alreadty because the device is 50m late!
- It's not possible to turn off those very annoying Tom Tom tips as was possible on earlier models.

All in all I am considering selling this on e-bay and either buying and earlier version TT One with expansion slot of changing to a Garmin. I would recommend anybody considering the purchase of one of these to avoid it.

Hope somebody finds this useful feedback.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Tom Tom One Regional v30 - Avoid Reply with quote

deejaydee wrote:
All the more necessary now to check that a half decent route has been selected by the new software. Surprisingly this menu option is still there but hidden from view - it can be found by selecting "Avoid part of the route"!!!

The easy way to get to this menu screen is to tap the sat strength meter (lower right) then press "Details" you do need to have a route planned for this to work, it also offers the "Find Alternative" button on the same summary screen - Mike
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new device and I get the general impression from the various Forums that this latest offering from Tom Tom is vastly inferior to its predecessors.

Have I got this wrong, currently tempted by a Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: