Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has Navcore 8.300 wrecked your TomTom???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Navcore 8.300 wrecked your TomTom???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Navcore 8.300 messed up your TomTom - stuttering voices and slow map refresh??
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 118 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 165

pepperamihot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just switched Kate on and she almost immediately started stuttering on navcore 8.3 and map 705.1480 and Kate 693 Sad

I'm also suffering from the FM transmission stoppng after about 30 seconds which is a real .

Back to the bad ol' days when I had my Dell PDA and dreaded updates Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worries me a bit that the problem is usually being described just as "stuttering". I hope TT aren't just working on fixing that alone.

To me, the stuttering is just one symptom of a general slowing down everywhere.

1. Screen refresh is slower, often only just noticeable, maybe two a second rather then nearly three, but poor on roundabouts, sometimes freezes for a second or more when a long voice instruction is playing.

2. Car position is lagging. As you pass side streets, camera POIs etc. the display is aprox. 25-50 yards behind.

3. TTS voices stutter, but also "normal" voices are affected ("After eighty.....yards, take the exit then turn....right")

4. Menu screens are noticeably more sluggish to react to a selection.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - I was beginning to doubt my sanity because I've been getting all of them, particularly 4, and thinking nobody else was. I have not updated my 720, so it's only on the 920 and with them side by side I notice this every time I plan, so it's not my imagination - I can definitely plan a route quicker with 8.010/810 than with 8.300/815. It's not the end of the world - we're talking fractions of seconds here, but after I've practiced Fastest Finger First, it's incredibly annoying to have to wait.

The voice stutter is now rare since I copied a 730 Loquendo folder across, but not completely cured - I still get it occasionally when Kate's under stress with instructions coming in quick succession.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you using a computer (TTS) voice or a standard one?

Andy

I'm using Kate (TTS) with no problems. I'm using the internal memory, could this be relevant?

Mike
sdclark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I change my vote? Sad

My 720 running Navcore 8.30, map WE8.15 has been perfect, until today. Grrrr

Now it is stuttering, map updates seem ok. have trouble connecting to phone via BT for traffic but after a while gets through.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had GO920T since June. Worked fine for 3-4 months, but then started to lock up. Impossible to fix when you are in the middle of France and PC is in the UK Censored

After persuading PC World to replace the GO twice (1st replacement only lasted 48 hours). I then upgraded to Navcore 8.30, map WE8.15. I backed up complete device and after using LMG transferred US map to PC to increase free memory.

Also using voice Kate 693, BT handsfree, TMC and occaisionally FM transmitter.

Yes, I occaisionally get stuttering, map refresh can be slower than desired, but it works better than it has done for a long time. Also BT handsfree seems more reliable. Confused

On a long trip to Brussels next week. Hopefully TT will have released the voice and slow map fix, but I will take my back-up device in case old problems return, i.e. iPaq and Navman sleeve running TT V5. Rolling Eyes
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
SatMonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'me too' with the stuttering - not impressed!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the stuttering voices when the voice readout is long.

I also have to reset my Blutooth connection with my phone regularly and have not found a sensible reason or technique to do this. Sometimes a reset of the TT does it. Sometimes a restart of the phone does it. Sometimes it doesn't work then half way up the country it stops giving me the dreaded red screen connection warning.

One error not mentioned (rightly so as it's a new feature so isn't broken as such) is what happens after ALG disappears off the screen. I always seem to be in the middle of a field off to one side for a few seconds while it decides I'm past the junction and still en route. Not too much of an issue but looks naff and distracting especially if there's another command soon after.
Holux GPSslim
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another stuttering 520 here. I was going away for a couple of days at the end of last week, and foolishly updated my TT on Wednesday night. It started stuttering when I was about 10 miles from home, and continued for the rest of the journey - VERY irritating! As others have said, it only seems to happen when the sentence is longer than 5 or 6 words.

I reset the unit when I arrived at my destination, and that seemed to improve matters with only relatively rare stuttering subsequently. It's definitely not fixed though.
oszim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Go 720 with 'Kate' stuttering Reply with quote

Navcore App. 8.300 upgrade has resulted broken/stuttering voice and occasionally I've noticed slower map refresh. To overcome this problem have loaded non-computerised TT English 'Jayne' voice that doesn't seem to be so affected at the expense of lost additional warnings. I'm really hoping TT debug this glitch and issue revised update as they must surely be fully aware of the problem
Sandisk 8Gb SDHC
TMC/RDS 2V00.06
TT Antenna v.4V00.OB
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a depressing thing (at least to me....)

A NA forum poster reports that Support told him the remedy for the stuttering was to run the Clear Flash tool. While he reports it seems to have worked, I'm depressed because:

1. I'm sure the remedy will turn out to be temporary
2. More importantly, if this is as close as TT is to a solution for the problem, I fear a true firmware 'fix' is not going to be imminent as clearly TT has no clue as yet as to what is really causing the stuttering. Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cheer up David, it won't last!! I'm sure all the normal TT fixes have already been well and truly tried and tested (and failed) - Clear Flash, delete and reinstall, download latest version of Home (!!!!??!!), send them a photocopy of your purchase invoice, then later send them details of your application version, later send details of your map version, then later send them details of your device serial number. I presume you've already told them the names of your first three (future) grandchildren, but you should also be prepared to tell them the names of the future grandchildren's spouses. Don't forget that each grandchild and grandchildspouse must have a unique email address.

Spot on - they haven't a clue what's wrong - it's just another new bug before they've cured any of the older bugs. At least it's making a lot of us forget the Bluetooth handsfree bug, isn't it? And the Latest Map Guarantee bug - what's happened to that?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TuppyTrucker
Lifetime Member

Location: Mandeville en Bessin, 5km from OMAHA beach, Nomandie, France

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 started to stutter 4 days after upgrade to navcore 8.30. BUT the blutooth handsfree phone connection now works, which stopped 2 weeks after I bought it. AND it doesnt stall when entering addresses or searching the database for street names. AND what have they done to the compass? I used to have it set to pointing to destination with crows flight distance, but now all I get is an arrow pointing north and a degree heading in the status bar. Very useful, not.
So I'm 70% happy with it.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oszim wrote
Quote:
To overcome this problem have loaded non-computerised TT English 'Jayne' voice that doesn't seem to be so affected at the expense of lost additional warnings
After selecting Jane you should get an option to select a computer voice for warnings. You won't get street names read out but I don't like that anyway. You will get the warnings and verbal weather reports etc though.
rikwebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine worked fine after the update, but today I upgraded Home to the new version, and updated the GPS and mapshare. Set off for a trip and Sttttttutttteeeerrrring has started - PAIN
Thought I was lucky and got away without having problems!

Rik

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: