Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce Online Route Planner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce Online Route Planner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom Announce Online Route Planner Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom have today announced the launch of an On-Line Route Planner service. This free web based service allows you to pre-plan a route and obtain detailed travel instructions and view live traffic conditions before you set-off.

The launch today is in BETA with testing taking place for a select number of testers. If you want to be involved visit the Route Planner web-site and register at routes.tomtom.com.

The Route Planner offes door to door planning with IQ Route data and HD Traffic information (Netherlands,
France, Germany, Switzerland and the UK). Routes based on this data will allow you to pre-plan your journeys and see precisely how your route looks.

Currently available in six languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian and Spanish) TomTom plan to roll out the service to its world-wide customer base following a successful trial.

The Planner in full

HD Traffic in action

Close-Up of a Traffic Pop-Up

Journey Planner

Right-Click for pop-up options

I've been 'playing' with this for a few hours now and I have to say it looks and works great, lots of nice little touches, zoom with a scroll wheel mouse, right-click on the map to set your HOME location and start/destination addresses etc and a 'Send to TomTom' feature to import locations into your device via HOME.

I'll post back once I've had more time with this.

Last edited by Darren on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how to install the speed camera database onto it? Very Happy
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the address and it told me I was already registered and to "Watch my inbox in the coming weeks". Looks like it could be a useful feature as I hate having to plan a route on the small Go screen.

Lets hope the integrate the map overlay with traffic info in the 'Show Traffic' of HOME, as it still only directs you to the 'About' type page for HD traffic.

Could there be an issue for those with conflicting map versions here though? The Tomtom Route planner having the most up-to-date releases and the end user having varying versions. This would obviously cause a problem when importing routes etc would it not?

Could anyone see them making this as part of the Live services when this moves out of BETA? Especially if it contains the HD traffic info.

Interesting comment part way through the video where Mark Gretton comments on how every time someone make a call on there vodafone SIM they can then put that info on the map and determine the speed etc.

Can TT only extract the traffic info from the sim when a call/data packet is in use?

Also interesting how the Holland HD traffic overview was showing all the information like roadworks etc which is missing on the UK HD Traffic.

The route planner does look like a good concept so far however.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Could there be an issue for those with conflicting map versions here though? The Tomtom Route planner having the most up-to-date releases and the end user having varying versions. This would obviously cause a problem when importing routes etc would it not?

The planner does not export routes so that's not an issue, it's a planner only. You can export start/end points only.
Quote:
Could anyone see them making this as part of the Live services when this moves out of BETA? Especially if it contains the HD traffic info.

Why, it's going to be a free service for all.
Quote:
Interesting comment part way through the video where Mark Gretton comments on how every time someone make a call on there vodafone SIM they can then put that info on the map and determine the speed etc.

Can TT only extract the traffic info from the sim when a call/data packet is in use?

The data supplied by the networks is not call dependent, I haven't watched the video but if Mark said that then it's a mistake or he was simplifying for the benefit if the viewers.
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to have to be good to compete with Google Maps. This application is just brilliant.

If you haven't tried it lately, then the ability to plan a route, then grab a point and drag it to a new location as a via is great. It gives dynamic feedback on route length and time whilst you're doing it.

As for POI, Google's full of user generated POI, has pictures and links to Wikipedia. What more could you want. Rolling Eyes
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ka wrote:
It's going to have to be good to compete with Google Maps. This application is just brilliant.

If you haven't tried it lately, then the ability to plan a route, then grab a point and drag it to a new location as a via is great. It gives dynamic feedback on route length and time whilst you're doing it.

As for POI, Google's full of user generated POI, has pictures and links to Wikipedia. What more could you want. Rolling Eyes

They've started showing trffic for the UK too recently. Not sure what adat it's based on - likely to be inferior to the TomTom HD stuff
Tanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just registered looking forward to this when i get my chance.
Western Europe v865.3245
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme2812 Surely the HD traffic relies on a permanent data connection from your mobile phone to update your go about traffic problems. They will use this to get a fix on where you are.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
graeme2812 Surely the HD traffic relies on a permanent data connection from your mobile phone to update your go about traffic problems. They will use this to get a fix on where you are.

No it doesn't. HD Traffic uses data collected from every Vodafone handset. It is used to compile movement data and this is extrapolated to calculate traffic patterns, hold-ups etc.
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
They've started showing trffic for the UK too recently. Not sure what adat it's based on - likely to be inferior to the TomTom HD stuff

I believe that it's data from the Highways Agency and only covers motorways. From my experience, it'll be better than TomToms. I recall hitting a 4 hour tail back on the M6 and TT never even mentioned it Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ka wrote:
I believe that it's data from the Highways Agency and only covers motorways. From my experience, it'll be better than TomToms. I recall hitting a 4 hour tail back on the M6 and TT never even mentioned it Crying or Very sad
TomTom's RDS-TMC service used iTIS TMC data. TomTom's HD Traffic service is radically different and a lot more reliable and accurate using real-time data.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
....HD Traffic uses data collected from every Vodafone handset.

How much of this data to TomTom actually use though?
Not as much as they'll have us believe I don't think.

1ka wrote:
I recall hitting a 4 hour tail back on the M6 and TT never even mentioned it Crying or Very sad

I've seen me sitting in traffic and not had a single mention of it on my 540 either. Hence why why I think the above.

There still missing out information like closed roads that my 730 is reporting. (Several closed roads due to snow reported on the 730 but not the 540.) This leads me to believe there not tracking every Vodafone sim or passing on the same levels of info as SD like they'll have us believe.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope TomTom liven up that video on the website, I nearly went into a coma.
For me although in theory I like the idea of live updates and traffic etc together with the planning of your route, in reality though as many drivers will know when you are stuff in traffic and even if you know the area you are in you could be stuck in that traffic for ages whether you have these bells and whistles or not.
Driving from A to B needs to be simple and TomTom are just making it more complicated. What I like about the TomTom and all sat nav's is the simplicity of it, turn it on punch in a post code and off you go, why complicate it?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my email.

Planned a route from Hertfordshire to the East End of London leaving at 16:00, 17:00 and 18:00 tonight. All routes say journey time around 1 hour, with traffic box and minimise delays checked, which I find unbelievable having done the route many many times over the years.

I think I'll be sticking to the tube. It's only £7.70 return on an Oyster card anyway Smile

I'll keep looking and trying. If anyone wants any info give me a shout and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom make me laugh (or cry). At the bottom left of the screen it says, Are your maps up to date? No, but neither are theirs, well at least the one they're using for the planning.

If you don't like that planner, here's another.
http://bbc.transportdirect.info/web2/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: