Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Offering 20% off a 940 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Offering 20% off a 940 Live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Don't wish to be pessimistic but could TT be in financial trouble in the current climate and are looking to getting lots of sales in quick?
If so they'd do better to get everything working properly first otherwise the adverse publicity will do them more harm than good !

…..Ken (Heywood, U.K.)

If they are in trouble then they could released the HD Traffic receiver that they announced nearly 12 months ago.....

Give it a couple of weeks and the high street retailers will be offering similar discounts, retailers will not be happy if the manufactuers offer discounts at this time of the year.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's TomTom's returns policy? I haven't bought a TT off the internet (including TT) since GO720 number 2 (and I'm up to number 7) - much prefer to be able to go back to a real shop and thump the counter for my money back! Besides which, retailers carry more clout than I do with TT - if Halfords, PC World, Comet et al start grumbling about returns, TT will pay far more attention than they would to my pathetic bleating.

Anyway, they can reduce it all they like - I'm NOT buying one until they work!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
The email seemed to be aimed at the people who had taken out their traffic subscription
Cheers

Carl

Could be right. I do not subscribe to Traffic and did not get an email.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is more targetted than that. I have a traffic subsciption on TT6pda that will run out in a few months and had an offer. My wife has traffic on a Go530 that is a month old and she has not had the offer.
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would be rude to send a customer who had just bought a 730 a offer of a discount on a x40 series. Talk about targetted marketing! Leaves a bit of a bad taste though.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Don't wish to be pessimistic but could TT be in financial trouble in the current climate and are looking to getting lots of sales in quick?
If so they'd do better to get everything working properly first otherwise the adverse publicity will do them more harm than good !

Might make sense to entice people to buy directly from them, since they probably make more profit this way than they do selling to resellers.

I'd be happy if they'd just release the x40 in the US before the new year at full price.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 was £100 cheaper about 3 months after it was released, so this is nothing new, and is why I will never buy a TomTom when it's first released ever again.

I would expect to pay £299 for a 940 especially as HD traffic is no better than GPRS traffic which I currently subscribe to.

There is a credit crunch on after all.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
I would expect to pay £299 for a 940 especially as HD traffic is no better than GPRS traffic which I currently subscribe to.

I find that rather an odd statement as you cannot have used HD traffic on your 720 and experienced it and been able to make a comparison between the two. I use HD and GPRS and the HD is definitely more accurate than the GPRS and shows up on many roads where the GPRS does not.

I also have the TMC but I have found that takes to long to get a signal and often misses out traffic problems - hence buying the GPRS for the 530T.

I could have saved slightly on the TomTom offer which is a little annoying but then again I had a faulty unit which I had replaced and if I had tried to do that through TomTom it would have been a nightmare.

I have also noticed that the HD traffic models automatically update their position to the buddies server whilst on the 530 with 8.3, you have to manually update your position (update now).
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
Might make sense to entice people to buy directly from them, since they probably make more profit this way than they do selling to resellers.

It might, if they have decided that they're in sufficiently dire straits to not care about their resellers. I think combining direct selling with retail while keeping the resellers sweet enough is a very delicate balance.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this email too. Its title is "Exclusive offer for TomTom Traffic subscribers!".
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I just got this email too. Its title is "Exclusive offer for TomTom Traffic subscribers!".

I think I'll complain then as I've not received an email yet, and I subscribe to GPRS Traffic.

I'm getting used to being ignored though, being a TTN6 user Wink
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect the mail might be targeted at Traffic subscribers (mine was renewed at end of October) and users of 'older' TT units. I'm still using a 500.
John_Redman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Tomtom Discount Email Reply with quote

Bought my 940 Last week, I am only subscribed to the safety cameras for my old 920 & have just recieved the 20% Discount Email Voucher

Oh Well
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Maybe it is more targetted than that. I have a traffic subsciption on TT6pda that will run out in a few months and had an offer. My wife has traffic on a Go530 that is a month old and she has not had the offer.

Having had a problem switching profiles when I bought the 720 recently, I used the 'new e-mail' trick.

The address used for my PDA/TT6 combination hasn't ( yet ) got an e-mail, but the new address has!
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that a fair few of the forum posts cast doubt on TomTom's ability to organise a walk in the park, could it be that the offers are not targetted at specific groups, but that they arrive in a haphazard way because that's the best TT can arrange?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: