Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 530 few questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

530 few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: 530 few questions Reply with quote

when you first start the tomtom you get a option of whtch way your tomtom will be i.e left or right how do i change this?

also car preferances is shaded why? can i change this

and after useing the 30 day free map update i.e 815 is it worth updating other maps or sticking to mapshare?

is it also normal to use the reset regular as i have only had it a week and donw a reset today

also the the SD windscreen mount for the 530 does the 520 windscreen mount the same one? it does look the same

version 8.300

map 800.1727
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the handed operation of the device go to Change Preferences/ Operate left (or) right handed (page 5 of 8).

Car Preferences is something that has been greyed out from day one, so that is quite normal.

I would update maps when you notice roads are missing/ incorrect, although the newly introduced option to purchase the next 12 months of map updates for a single fee is a good idea, and it works out considerably cheaper than purchasing a new map every three months.

If you have managed a week without using the reset button then you have done well, get used to it - it doesn't do the device any harm and you don't lose any settings, often this simple action of a reset can cure all sorts of strange behaviour.

The x20 and x30 mounts are the same, although I have one that is darker than the other, perhaps they fade slightly over time - Mike
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To change the handed operation of the device go to Change Preferences/ Operate left (or) right handed (page 5 of 8).

Car Preferences is something that has been greyed out from day one, so that is quite normal.

I would update maps when you notice roads are missing/ incorrect, although the newly introduced option to purchase the next 12 months of map updates for a single fee is a good idea, and it works out considerably cheaper than purchasing a new map every three months.

If you have managed a week without using the reset button then you have done well, get used to it - it doesn't do the device any harm and you don't lose any settings, often this simple action of a reset can cure all sorts of strange behaviour.

The x20 and x30 mounts are the same, although I have one that is darker than the other, perhaps they fade slightly over time - Mike

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

Laughing Out Loud i thought the was placing device left or right ok no worries .

yea i went to deeside today (flintshire) and the new underpass was not on BUT not tryed it with 815 yet .. the good test is leeds and liverpool the road updates there are a joke ..

yea that reset was odd first my TMC RDS did not work you no the fast updating one Very Happy and then the tomtom would not connect to the computer i did a reset and all was fine..

thought that mount was the same i have just seen a very good deal for that mount and car charger for 3.44 new be good for secound car.
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000K9KRH2/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

also looking at this or should i go 8gb . but 8gb just seems a bit big . the biggests maps are 2gb ..

i have also seen maps with sd cards i.e example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maps-Western-Europe-SD-Card/dp/B0019HUT4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227302649&sr=1-2

there alot cheaper than on tomtom are these very old versions? even if said 2008
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends upon which maps you are planning to put on the device, I don't like using above 4GB for read/ write folders such as maps, for read only data such as mp3 and pictures etc then 32GB is the maximum - if you can find one, I use a Peak 8GB SDHC Class 6 card in my units, works fine for the music - I have a couple of 4GB cards that I use from time to time when running alternate maps on the devices.

As for the Map SD cards from your link, I wouldn't bother at all - why buy old maps? someone will but there is no point at all, chances are those maps are older than the one that was supplied installed on your device! and they won't contain the IQ Routes data or support reality view/ lane assist - Mike
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It all depends upon which maps you are planning to put on the device, I don't like using above 4GB for read/ write folders such as maps, for read only data such as mp3 and pictures etc then 32GB is the maximum - if you can find one, I use a Peak 8GB SDHC Class 6 card in my units, works fine for the music - I have a couple of 4GB cards that I use from time to time when running alternate maps on the devices.

As for the Map SD cards from your link, I wouldn't bother at all - why buy old maps? someone will but there is no point at all, chances are those maps are older than the one that was supplied installed on your device! and they won't contain the IQ Routes data or support reality view/ lane assist - Mike

yea thats what i thought 4gb the only map i would put on over the uk/ireland would be the full blow western/europe one and that is 2gb.
i will go for the 4gb Very Happy from amazon cheapest i have seen + you get a free straght banana if i order this weekend .. Smile

32gb
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=32GB+sd+card&x=11&y=13

i thought that with them being cheap but amazon never have give out good specs or info .. i have no need for old maps at all .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: