Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your reference to dennis mean me?

I tried to follow your recommendation and find free speed cameras on Google. Now, I'm afraid I'm no guru, so all I did was type "Speed cameras" in the Google search box and press GO. That's what you said, isn't it?
Quote:
well it's really easy all you have to do is google

Quote:
''as an exercise there are free databases that cover the uk with no such restrictions and are imo as up to date as the pgpsw one''

So I've gone through the first fifteen pages (and taken so long you've all had time to add loads more to this topic) and have not found one single offering of a free camera database to download for a SatNav. Now, as an old man with little time left for this earth, I reckon searching 15 pages is a good enough effort to test your "It's really easy, all you have to do is google".

I emphasise, unlike many other people here, I'm no guru. This is the only website I frequent. My Google searches are infrequent and sometimes succeed, sometimes don't and I don't know how to do clever stuff like you seem able to. But I reckon "really easy" should be within my ham-fisted amateur capability and it didn't work!

So come on, put up or shut up! Give me a link or links where I can get the two other free databases you've been comparing with the pgpsw one. It won't surprise you to learn I actually do have three TomTom devices to use for comparing three databases alongside each other, because I have mentioned it several times on this forum. I have seen no indication that you drive around with three devices running. Give me the link/s in a PM if you're concerned about not publishing them in an open forum.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
gps fan i refer you back to my original post that offered a solution to another poster who wanted totry a new device without infringing the copyright of this sites database

Silly me, why would I possibly think you meant anything else when you clearly stated:
Quote:
This site has a lot of cameras that are not in your data base

...how foolish of me to take your comment at face value - of course, you were making no comparison in your comment, were you?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so whilst I was one fingering the above, you posted about POIPlaza, so I've spent half an hour looking at it and figuring out how to get at the information.
Do you honestly expect us to believe you are serious with that? Where's my local one at Binegar? What about the biggest earning camera in the whole of Avon and Somerset Police at Saltford? Have POIPlaza even heard of Bristol or Avon and Somerset? You've seriously been comparing this rubbish with pgpsw? In your opinion it's as good as and as up to date as pgpsw? You'd recommend it to people? What would you recommend for me to take as a preventative measure against Alzheimers? Do you know of a good Elixir of Life?

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine that they took their data from PGPSW - in my town there have been 10 Gatsos for years, and PGPSW have always reported the lot. POIPlaza only have 2 of them.

Still, they've got some nice icons - I might "borrow" some of them to associate with my PGPSW POI files!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
which is why I do not like it being suggested that I promote pirated information

You have yet to provide a link to any site that has reliable data that is not of questionable origin. Your post suggested users look on Google for alternatives. Apart from the commercial competition I know of no FREE service that offers data that is as accurate as ours by any margin.
Quote:
because i offered a solution to a problem for a poster, nor that by refusing to post links to other sites, thus not reducing subscription nor advertising those other sites here, in some way makes me a liar, and that I am not able to substantiate the claim that there are databases available on the net to try out the device.

My concern had nothing to do with lost income and once again, I'll repeat (and read back if you wish), at no point have I ever accused you of being a liar. I simply asked you to post the links to these sites that you claimed were FREE and better than ours. I don't doubt that your links are real but I do doubt any genuine legitimate FREE site is anywhere near as good as ours let alone better which is what you initially posted.

As it transpires what you have effectively done is recommended a two bit-Hungarian web-site that happily uses the work of others and offers no verification as a worthwhile alternative to ours.

Thankfully the data belonging to us and used by POIPlaza is old and incomplete but that doesn't change the facts nor does it reinforce your claim that the data was better than ours. Any data they have that we do not is there because theirs is inaccurate not because it is more complete.
Quote:
the reference to the ordenance survey was to their maps containing camera references

OS maps do not contain speed camera data so I have no idea what you are referring to.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
I can't imagine that they took their data from PGPSW - in my town there have been 10 Gatsos for years, and PGPSW have always reported the lot. POIPlaza only have 2 of them.

They have but it is very old and incomplete. When challenged they claim that the data is supplied by users and they offer no verification or error checking, they simply accept on face value.

We have been in discussion with a Hungarian Law firm.
Quote:
Still, they've got some nice icons - I might "borrow" some of them to associate with my PGPSW POI files!

Nicer than our GerryC ones?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:

Quote:
Nicer than our GerryC ones?

I was thinking more of the general POI icons, rather than the speed camera ones. As far as the camera icons are concerned, I think they look more professional, but probably aren't as practical because they are too similar to one another. (I tend to use the consolidated database, so speed limits aren't a concern to me).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the UK fixed database has about a half a dozen fixed cameras missing from the database within a few miles of my house. Some have been around for at least 2 years. It also shows the A3 and A217 almost devoid of any fixed camera!!!!!

Don't think i'll be jumping ship just yet.....
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
OK, so whilst I was one fingering the above, you posted about POIPlaza

Maybe we need a new emoticon Smile
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:

Voila - The left and right single digit technique.

Edit image address

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Last edited by mostdom on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
SpikeyMikey wrote:

Voila - The left and right single digit technique.

Sorry? you've lost me there! That's too subtle for me.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Ok! But there is always the single digit entry method! Always a favorite!

Edit 2

Last edited by mostdom on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Ok! But there is always the single digit entry method! Always a favorite!

Err? Do you think you could do "in your face unsubtle" please? - I'm still having cognition problems with this. I'm thinking "Little old bloke poking one finger at a time at a keyboard" sort of smileycon.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Err? Do you think you could do "in your face unsubtle" please? - I'm still having cognition problems with this. I'm thinking "Little old bloke poking one finger at a time at a keyboard" sort of smileycon.

You asked me for a "Laboriously typing with one finger" smileycon. That is what the first smily icon was. Ok, it is not really old looking, and you can't quite make out the specific fingers used but what do you expect from a 20x20 gif. I do have a lot of the other types of single digit smilyicons but I don't think Darren would think them appropriate for a family forum like this! Very Happy

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis,

the allemoticons.com logo that displays is likely to be to stop people linking directly to the images! chances are that mostdom can see the icons as they are in his cache from visiting the site, however we can't...!

MaFt

mostdom. this is all we're seeing:

anyway, i believe this has gone off topic enough for now...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: