Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying advice and some questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying advice and some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danowat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Buying advice and some questions Reply with quote

Hi,

After getting horribly lost in the Netherlands this week I have finally deciede to shell out for a GPS system.

After a look around I have narrowed my choice down to 2 units

The Garmin streetpilot 2610 or the Magellen RoadMate 700.

I have found the Magellen to be more expensive, the cheapest I have found one for is £934 inc VAT and delivery, but I have found a place where I can buy a Garmin 2610 for £769 inc VAT and delivery, so on price the Garmin unit wins hands down.

Basically I need to know which unit would suit me best, I drive a lot in Europe, so a good european coverage is important, is the mapping software the same between these units?, or is one better than the other?

I also understand that because I have a heated front screen I am going to need an external aerial, would this have any bearing on my choice?.

The main difference between the 2 as I see it, is the Magellen unit has a HDD, so can store all the mapping info at once, where as the Garmin unit has a 256mb flash card, just how much info can be stored on a single 256mb card?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and any advice would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Dan.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you decided that you want a standalone system - or are you amenable to considering PDA based systems as well, which can offer extra features (such as traffic jam awareness and speed camera warning) and can work out a bit cheaper as well, even if you buy a professional looking mount.

If you're wanting to be standalone, you could also consider the Navman iCN630, or the TomTom GO which will soon be released. There's also the Garmin 2650, though I can't remember what that adds over the 2610.

However, if you've narrowed your choice to those two units, I can't offer any advice, as I've no experience of either.

If you do go for the unit with a hard disk, be careful to keep it away from magnets. If it uses one of those very small hard disks, they can be damaged by a magnet.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: