Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my appologies to everyone.

Its the way people were refering to free memory thats thrown me.

So as i said i do have over 200mb of internal memory but it seems i only have 7.1mb of free RAM

So i have less than what the others stated, so my question is what has access to the RAM that can bring it so low?

I don't have a lot on my unit as i only use it as a GPS, no phone stuff or music.
I do have some custom POI's but none set to show on the map!
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there is no need to apologise Mr Freeze... we are all just trying to take advantage of additional software features That Tom Tom seem to be introducing, for hardware that is not really suitable...

I posted in another thread, that it is becoming a little like folks trying to run Win XP on a Pentium 2 PC with 64Mb of RAM... Very Happy ... not quite so bad, but perhaps the Go 520/30 hardware had reached the limits of it's capabilities before ALG and intelligent routing was introduced with the ver. 8 maps... and the slightly more rescourse hungry Nav 8.3 is the straw to break the camels back... not saying that some of the clever guys on here may find workarounds, but it just shows perhaps that their is not so much room left for future innovations with this generation of devices.

I wonder how much memory the X40 devices are shipped with ?

Alan.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
All I do is put the 8,010 application and the v810 map on the card then instal the newer 8,3 app and v815 map to the internal memory.

When you say 'put the 8,010 app', which folders and/or root files need to go on the card, please?

Regards

norm
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firmware files are all the loose files in the root of the unit. No folders.
tomtomdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep same here with a 520 with all the latest, 18.5meg free, seems more like the CPU cant handle all the tasks it has to do in a limited time, but who knows...
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also notted when it stutters the display brightness changes a bit...

HummerUK
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is what i've done now.

Last night i totalled wiped everything off the 720, then re-installed a v8.01 backup. I then updated from Home to v8.300 again.

This is the weird part.

I immediately checked the free mem and it was 15.5mb
I then quickly did a route check and then cleared it. The free mem had then dropped to 13.3mb !!!

So this morning i let Kate direct me on my commute to work. Over an hours drive. She performed flawless all the way. Then on arriving i deleted the route and now i have only 10.1mb free mem.

So i will use it the rest of today and see what happens.

My question is, does the unit retain useless info like previous routes etc which eat away at the free mem?
Has anyone ever defragged a TT, i'm guessing its just another drive so in theory you can. Would it help?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a pin reset and see what the free memory is, please.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFreeze, the Garmin 4.0 update resulted in pretty much the same issues we're seeing now on the TT. To help correct it, Garmin has added an automatic defrag routine to free up memory. I would think TT will likely need to do the same. The only complaint with this is some functions may need be be simplified and boot times may sometimes be longer while defragging takes place. Not a perfect solution, but at least it works.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Andy, that will have a very similar effect as it reduces the burden on the device - I haven't tried that combination of options as yet but will do so in the morning, thanks for the suggestion - Mike

oh well so much for that as it conked out this morning after i left the house Embarassed ,ended up disabling both and now seems ok
Yeah i sort of knew it was a burden Very Happy was putting my 2 cents worth in last night ..which turned out to be useless

hopefully they will bring a fix out asap
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit at present has 13.6 MB free...

I also see the value on that page updates in real time.

HummerUK
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got the same issue on my 920. I have turned off the road numbers and street names but coming home from work today I got

"cross the rounda-b-------ou-------t s-----e---------con-------------d e-------x---------it'

if you catch my drift. From that point on constant stuttering.

As the x20s and x30s are identical hardware (same ID underneath I seem to remember from when the x30s were launched) then if this issue is only affecting x20 users my money is on the Loquendo TTS version - the x20s run 6.9 and the x30s run 7.x - hence why the x40 software seems to run fine on a x30 but messess up the TTS on the x20s.

Also, as a side note (not trying to hijack the thread) I powered off the unit in the car with the RDS-TMC still connected. Came in the house and powered back on and the TT is still trying to get a traffic lock. I got the green circle for a few minutes and then it decided that the GPRS traffic service was unavailable! Not bad, as it wasn't even connected to my phone as I had turned bluetooth off on the phone when I got to work this morning, and I don't have a traffic subscription.

Andy
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder how much memory the X40 devices are shipped with ?

Alan

Well... I had a look for myself...

Go 920... 400Mhz CPU - 64Mb RAM

Go 940... 400Mhz CPU - 64Mb Ram... Rolling Eyes

Alan.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point Andy makes about the TTS files - are people with X30s having the same problem with stuttering ? (indeed do they have the same reduced amount of free memory after the last update?)

If there is a difference in the TTS files is there a way for X20s users to put them on their units ? (assuming it has a positive effect on performance)

DinAlt
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also made the mistake of "upgrading" to 8.3. on my 520 and even worse buying the 8.15 UK map.

I thought my tomtom had developed a loose connection on its speaker but after restoring from a backup I find that the new software is at fault.

I don't understand how TomTom allowed this software to escape into the wild. It was clearly never tested on a 520 unit.

Tomtom are refusing a refund even though the new firmware is almost unusable and I find that the new map (8.15) will not work with earlier versions of the firmware. After contacting 2nd line support they did admit to a problem but still no refund.

I did try removing all the fancy features but although better I still experience stuttering if Kate has more than a few words to say. I also notice more delay and jerkiness in the display.

THINK I WILL BUY A GARMIN!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 3 of 49

Jump to: