Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
It's called TomTom screwups! Does anyone know how this firm manages to stay in business?
Hello Garmin - are you any better?

I would go for Garmin but they don't seem to be doing much like IQ routes and HD traffic. Not that those features are perfect by any means but it would be nice to see them keep up the pace with Tomtom, they always have done in the past.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hailstorm wrote:
dougproctor wrote:
It's called TomTom screwups! Does anyone know how this firm manages to stay in business?
Hello Garmin - are you any better?

I would go for Garmin but they don't seem to be doing much like IQ routes and HD traffic. Not that those features are perfect by any means but it would be nice to see them keep up the pace with Tomtom, they always have done in the past.

Feature for feature, TomTom are in the front..and perhaps releasing features before they are really ready for public consumption. I guess the only thing that some others are doing that TomTom isn't are 3D building/landscape maps.
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated my Tomtom One V1 map under the yearly map update service.
Details below in Signature.

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
Tanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i upgraded to the new version, i have noticed that their is a bit of a lag on tomtom of about 3/4 seconds.

Didn't notice this before. Anyone else having this problem.
LB-Greg
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Tom Tom release and more problems! You don't get NINE pages of discussion so quickly if there are no problems. I've also noticed the lag. Also noticed it was lagging with 8.30 & 8.10 maps. as Dennis N mentioned I think I'll be going back - £60 wasted on map updates Rolling Eyes

Also got the 815 maps to work by deleting the mapconfig file - thanks to those who mentioned it.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just hope that tomtom read this forum like they have been known to in the past!

Also, not just the lag, which is annoying in itself, but on my go 520 the screen goes dim once you have done a map correction then goes back to normal brightness!

Don't tomtom beta test things like new updated navcores?

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Quote:
carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I have seen 64mb free recently
The specification says 64mb RAM, so this looks rather unlikely.

It's the bit where it says "64 MB RAM (free: 64.0 MB)", just down below

Try looking at in Reality View (to quote a topical "with it" phrase!) - that is on the device, not in virtual mode in Home!

hailstorm wrote:
IQ routes leaves me cold. I now have to go learn how to use Garmin Mobile XT on my Advantage (got it for next to nothing in Carphone Warehouse). It looks like a drawing from the Beano, only shows me my speed and ETA, no indication of distance or anything, told me this morning twice that I had crossed the international boundary into and out of Bristol. Laughing BUT it allegedly comes with free for life traffic via my smartphone's GPRS connection (I have unlimited), so if I can configure it to display sensible and useful stuff, I'll give it a serious try. Plus I still haven't actually got rid of my McGuider.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom map pricing Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
What's with this pricing? I am offered maps at £9.95 a quarter, a total of £37.80 a year yet when I look at downloading it, it costs over £59!! There is another £19 come from somewhere.
If you look closely, somewhere you will find it saying "Existing map x quarters old, Upgrade to latest map = £19", then "year of updates at £9.95 a quarter, £37.80", and "total £59" (using your figures as approximations). The charge for upgrading to "Latest Map" depends on how old (quarters) your existing map is. Most people found that the total price, (upgrade and 4 quarters maps), astoundingly came out at less than the price of the latest map bought on its own without upgrades. Effectively, buy one, get three or four free! That's what I found. Mine was "Latest map, discounted to £38.85, plus a year £51.80, total £90.65". The latest map bought on its own without further year's upgrades was £99.95 at the time. We all thought it was a no brainer. The fact that I now regret it is a bit misleading - I still got the then latest map (which I'm satisfied with) for £10 cheaper than list price.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom map pricing Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
dougproctor wrote:
What's with this pricing? I am offered maps at £9.95 a quarter, a total of £37.80 a year yet when I look at downloading it, it costs over £59!! There is another £19 come from somewhere.
If you look closely, somewhere you will find it saying "Existing map x quarters old, Upgrade to latest map = £19", then "year of updates at £9.95 a quarter, £37.80", and "total £59" (using your figures as approximations). The charge for upgrading to "Latest Map" depends on how old (quarters) your existing map is. Most people found that the total price, (upgrade and 4 quarters maps), astoundingly came out at less than the price of the latest map bought on its own without upgrades. Effectively, buy one, get three or four free! That's what I found. Mine was "Latest map, discounted to £38.85, plus a year £51.80, total £90.65". The latest map bought on its own without further year's upgrades was £99.95 at the time. We all thought it was a no brainer. The fact that I now regret it is a bit misleading - I still got the then latest map (which I'm satisfied with) for £10 cheaper than list price.

As Dennis says, you have to have the latest map installed before you can purchase the annual upgrade. I had to pay £9.95 for new map (one quarter old) and, as you have found out you cannot purchase the latest map (at the reduced price) without subscribing to the annual upgrade. It no longer makes sense to purchase the latest map unless your existing map is very old. Darren published a table of the new map discounts when annual upgrades were first introduced but I have not been able to find it.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dennis and Alan, all is now clear! Dennis, you have put me off getting the new map anyway! Is it the combination of new map and new software that causes problems with stuttttttteeeerring voices or just one or the other?
Wonder why I can't just download the two lots of £9.95 quarters I am missing to bring my map up to date without having to buy the further map updates after that? Take either one away and they both disappear!!
I hate TT!!
Doug Crying or Very sad
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try looking at in Reality View (to quote a topical "with it" phrase!) - that is on the device, not in virtual mode in Home!

I did try, but obviously I am gracious for the advice.

Quote:
I now have to go learn how to use Garmin Mobile XT on my Advantage

Well the TT forums loss will obviously be the Garmin's one gain.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanny wrote:
Since i upgraded to the new version, i have noticed that their is a bit of a lag on tomtom of about 3/4 seconds.

Didn't notice this before. Anyone else having this problem.

Yes, I've got a display lag on my 520. Going round a series of bends in Liverpool last night it showed me half way round the previous one. Doesn't make navigation easy if your lost & trying to work out where to turn next. I never noticed this before but it's very obvious on the new map/OS combination. Maybe switching the voice off will help but either way I'm not impressed. Maybe TomTom are just banging out new maps as quick as possible to keep up!!
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I update to the latest map (my config is below) and aware that it seems outstanding value (my own is one quarter old therefore £49.95 for 4-maps over 12 months)

Question - What will the latest Map add in terms of corrections and/or visual enhancements?

My 'old' map has 18,000 + corrections - I always select the 'reported by some' option (although how many TomTom mean by 'some' is not made clear) as it seems unlikely that 'some' would all report a bogus correction!
Therefore, if I update will I lose these corrections and/or GAIN ANYTHING MORE? Is it worth waiting?
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8.15 maps are certainly going to cause some issues around where I drive especially on the school runs! The maps show paths inside my sons school as through roads as well as other footpaths and park access roads in the area.

Some of the naming near the school has gone haywire as well, some bright spark has looked on an Ordnance Survey map and seen the street Watling Street (a Roman road) and named it as "Roman Road". They have named another part of Watling Street as "Mann Egerton".
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be one of the few who post here that have had NO Problems (touching a huge tree) after upgrading my 520 to App 8.30 and UK&ROI Map v815.2003!

I did loose my Favourites, but a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file resolved that. I have all my phone settings, TTS voice alerts work fine and some of the MapShare changes (all bar one) that I have made are incorporated in the current map.

One new thing I have found is that when you do a Map Correction, you are asked if it is a Permenant or Temporary (e.g. Road works) change and the first time I made a correction since the update, it asked what sort of vehicle I drive - Car, HGV or motorcycle (I think) I hit the Car button before I read everything! There's also now a slider bar under Preferences to say which Map Corrections you want to download when connected to HOME.

OK I have the Speed Camera large icon issue, but I can still see the larger flashing one in the corner, so it's no big deal.

Am I the only one who is in this position, or do the satisfied users not post?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: