Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but turning off computer voices IS NOT an option for me....IMHO the problem is the small RAM available 11-13 MB...I wonder why this navcore use this amount of RAM ????With previous navcore i recall i had like 20-30 MB free and NO problems....
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, only occurred after the 8.3 update. I only have 10.9 RAM left as well.

Also came to notice today that mobile accepts incoming calls and rings, however when I dial out on the TT there is nothing. The other side answer but I can't hear as nothing coming out of gthe TT speaker. All other commands and warnings come through the TT speaker but not the phone.

Not particularly impressed with all this now.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

This is not a memory issue!
I have all the crap trimmed off my 720 and so have over 200mb free.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of 8.3 on the unit and will see how it performs today.

Just a polite request, if you have other issues with 8.3 could you start new threads. I'm trying to see who is suffering the voice issue and what we can do to resolve it, thanks.

If this does turn out to be 8.3 causing the problem, which it does. Is there anyway this forum can report it rather than all of us contacting support individually.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called TT Support (NA) about this issue:

The good news (I suppose) is that TT IS aware of the stuttering issue...

The bad news is that the support person I spoke with has no idea whether a firmware update (which supposedly will addresss this issue) will go out as an emergency patch (meaning 'soon') or the update will be held for release pending other fixes that need incorporating (meaning' who knows when').

So, I guess the 'workarounds' at this point are:
1. Live with it
2. Change the preference as Mike suggests to not read street names (or just select a non-computer voice)
3. Roll back the firmware from 8.3 down to something else (which, I guess, is NOT an option for those with 8.15 maps).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
2. Change the preference as Mike suggests to not read street names (or just select a non-computer voice)

David (and others) doing this only stops the device reading out the road names, you still get the benefit of the TTS system in that road numbers a read out and town/ city names are still used from time to time. What it does do is reduce the length of the spoken command to the point the device can deal with it correctly without the stammer (most of the time).

As others have reported within this thread and elsewhere within the forum I have seen the RDS-TMC can make things worse, also try making your POI files not shown on the map to see if this has a bearing on the issue, reducing the processor overhead seems to reduce the issue with the voice stammer - Mike
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have all the crap trimmed off my 720 and so have over 200mb free

Again... repeating myself from the other thread... you are confusing memory... RAM... 64Mb installed on the X20/30 models... with capacity... flash drive or/and SD card... most contributors have noticed a reduction in free memory after installing Navcore 8.3, in some cases to below 12Mb... and it is possible/probable that the lack of memory after installing this update may be causing the voice problems as well as the stuttering map...

Alan.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
Quote:
I have all the crap trimmed off my 720 and so have over 200mb free

Again... repeating myself from the other thread... you are confusing memory... RAM... 64Mb installed on the X20/30 models... with capacity... flash drive or/and SD card... most contributors have noticed a reduction in free memory after installing Navcore 8.3, in some cases to below 12Mb... and it is possible/probable that the lack of memory after installing this update may be causing the voice problems as well as the stuttering map...

Alan.

Alan thanks for your input, but.....

No i'm not getting confused, my 720 has 200mb of free space, as i have trimmed all the crap such as foriegn voices off my unit. All 720's will have the same RAM, so thats not an issue.

I don't use an SD card, just the internal memory and unless home is lying to me i have 209mb free. So as i said previously its not a memory issue.

DHN,

thanks for your input, at least it confirms TT knows about it. I think i might give them a call so we get more numbers logged.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
No i'm not getting confused, my 720 has 200mb of free space, as i have trimmed all the

You are very confused as the device was only ever built with 64MB of RAM, what you are looking at is the free available memory in the Flash Memory area on the device - this is NOT RAM, removal of redundant voice files and other unwanted material will only increase the storage space on the device within the Flash memory NOT RAM.

Boot the device and tap the sat strength meter then the version box on the lower right of the resultant screen, the third line down should state:

64MB RAM (free:14,9 MB) - it is the figure coresponding to FREE RAM that people are interested in, you device may show a different value to 14,9 but it will be somewhere close to this, it cannot be 200MB - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:

No i'm not getting confused, my 720 has 200mb of free space, as i have trimmed all the crap such as foriegn voices off my unit. All 720's will have the same RAM, so thats not an issue.

That's where we think you are mistaken. it is the actual RAM, not the Flash memory that is at issue, although as other have said, some of the Flash is used as aditional cache memory which muddies the waters somewhat.

Quote:
I don't use an SD card, just the internal memory and unless home is lying to me i have 209mb free. So as i said previously its not a memory issue.

But you are not looking at where it tells you how much free RAM you have at any one time.
If the latest software version uses more memory than an old one or a particular route or set of POI alerts use more processor power then it is your free RAM that will suffer, NOT your spare Flash memory.
davidnewey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: stuttering tomtom voice directions Reply with quote

Yes i have the same problem upgraded my 520 last night to 8.3 and have had the problem all day.
why oh why can,t tomtom test these releases before
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very similar to the problem some nuvi 7x0 users experienced with the recent 4.0 update. In that case the problem was due to insufficient resources to support "unannounced" upgrades for future services. I firmly believe that the x20's will not support 8.3 requirements. They have perhaps added some resource calls necessary for a future traffic upgrade which is stressing the minimal available ram and underpowered processor for the software requirements. Just my opinion of course.

I learned my lesson with the recent nuvi firmware fiasco. I won't be updating my TomTom just yet.

Last edited by gatorguy6996 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try setting it not to read out the road names which is an option within the speech preferences (make sure the bosx isn't ticked) then try it agin when next out on the road, I have found it less prone to this issue with the read aloud road names de-selected, not ideal, but it is easier on the ears - Mike

well I have "street names" enabled and have un-ticked "road numbers" and my voice and maps have been ok all day today with about 80 miles and not 1 mishap give that a try and see what happens
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, that will have a very similar effect as it reduces the burden on the device - I haven't tried that combination of options as yet but will do so in the morning, thanks for the suggestion - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I just posted in a NA forum (hence, the reference to NA maps).

Think it'll work?

A possible (gludgy) workaround?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stuttering is associated with the 8.3 firmware.

My understanding is that if the unit sees the operating system on a sd card inserted, it first boots to the card.

So (and I have NOT tried this so ..... )

If you have a 4-gig sdhc card AND a backed up firmware of version 8.010 AND you do NOT have the 8.15 map version (for which you need firmware 8.3 to operate)

THEN.....

Copy your NA map folder from internal to the sd card. Restore your 8.010 firmware to the sd card. Copy your Loquendo folder to the sd card.

NOW..........

Boot up your unit. It may boot to the sd card with firmware 8.010 and, hopefully, no stuttering as you drive your route!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I do is put the 8,010 application and the v810 map on the card then instal the newer 8,3 app and v815 map to the internal memory.

With the card inserted the device will boot using the application on the card (8,010 without the stammer/stutter) - take the card out and the device will boot to the application stored on the internal flash memory.

The LoquendoTTS folder only needs to be in a single location, it certainly doesn't need copying to the SD card, even when the device boots from the SD it can still see and use the files / folders stored on the internal memory - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49

Jump to: