Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Garmin Voice File Structure?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin Voice File Structure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: New Garmin Voice File Structure? Reply with quote

Did Garmin change the voice command list for some new models? I made a voice of my own several months ago, using Ash's utility, for my NUVI 200 (116 commands, including bleeps), which I still use. It works great. I wanted to share it with a friend of mine, who has a Garmin 880. He says it doesn't work right on his unit. He can only hear two commands, "Arriving at Destination" (#s 16, 17 and 28 in the NUVI American English list), and "Drive" (#29).

Is it possible there is a different voice list for the newer Garmins?

Thanks.

Ryan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget it ONLY works with NON TTS voices. The 2xx are all non-TTS I believe. The 8xx will have a mix of both types - but most users will be using TTS voices as this gives much more flexibility (street names, reading SMS text messages etc)

TTS voices are s/w generated 'on-the-fly' by the unit and as such cannot be modified externally.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition the newer Garmin models are Linux-based, so that changes that work perfectly on some of the 200 or 600's might require a bit of tweaking for the 2x5's or 8x0's.
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Don't forget it ONLY works with NON TTS voices. The 2xx are all non-TTS I believe. The 8xx will have a mix of both types - but most users will be using TTS voices as this gives much more flexibility (street names, reading SMS text messages etc)

TTS voices are s/w generated 'on-the-fly' by the unit and as such cannot be modified externally.

Thanks Phil! I've never used a TTS unit. So are you saying that with the 8xx, there are 2 "modes," a TTS mode and a non-TTS modes? Or are you saying that the programming is such that it blends both TTS and pre-recorded commands together? My friend said he DID hear some of my voice, but it was only for two commands (a total of 4 or 6 words I think). I suppose there isn't any way to tweak the list with Ash's utility so that all the commands I changed show up?

Thanks!

Ryan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

Don't know the 860 but my 660 has two types of voice (non-TTS and TTS) just selecting the voice is all it takes to switch. I would expect the 860 to be similar to this. If your friend wants to 'play' with his TTS voices then he may want to look at this topic here . Not tried it myself (yet) but looks rather fun!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't know the 860 but my 660 has two types of voice (non-TTS and TTS) just selecting the voice is all it takes to switch.

Both the 7xx and 8xx series operate in the same manner. You have to have the TTS capability in the firmware / hardware and the voice files. You just switch between a TTS and non-TTS voice to turn TTS on or off....
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Both the 7xx and 8xx series operate in the same manner. You have to have the TTS capability in the firmware / hardware and the voice files. You just switch between a TTS and non-TTS voice to turn TTS on or off....

Thanks Paul,

So do you know if, for instance, the same voice file that works on a NUVI 200 SHOULD also work on the 8xx when it was in "non-TTS" mode?

Thanks.

Ryan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - non-TTS voices can be used on any nuvi. Just do a WebUpdater and at the end of the process you will be given a list of optional downloads. Most of these are voices. If your unit is non-TTS you will only get offered these but with a TTS system you will be offered a mix of TTS and non-TTS voices.
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Yep - non-TTS voices can be used on any nuvi. Just do a WebUpdater and at the end of the process you will be given a list of optional downloads. Most of these are voices. If your unit is non-TTS you will only get offered these but with a TTS system you will be offered a mix of TTS and non-TTS voices.

Great! Thanks Phil. So do you think I can rule out the rumor that some new Garmin file-structure is what is causing it to be incompatible on my friend's 880?

Ryan
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the newer voice files. I haven't listened to them all yet, but the new .vpm of American English I got from the Garmin site had over 130 files as opposed to the 116 I have been using with the 2xx.

The new voice still worked in my 200, but I suspect I'm only going to hear the commands from the earlier list of 116. What I DON'T know is if one of the 116-command .vpm files would/should work on an 8xx unit. It didn't work on my friend's, but I'm not sure about the "why."

I'll post what the list of commands is if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Ryan
3jeKmPHy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanT wrote:
Just an update on the newer voice files. I haven't listened to them all yet, but the new .vpm of American English I got from the Garmin site had over 130 files as opposed to the 116 I have been using with the 2xx.

The new voice still worked in my 200, but I suspect I'm only going to hear the commands from the earlier list of 116. What I DON'T know is if one of the 116-command .vpm files would/should work on an 8xx unit. It didn't work on my friend's, but I'm not sure about the "why."

I'll post what the list of commands is if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Ryan

Could you please list the commands? I have a nuvi 205 that has over 130 files.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you please list the commands? I have a nuvi 205 that has over 130 files.

Please post any responses to this question in this thread

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: