Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS still works, you don't need anything else to navigate but I take your point.
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the standard non HD traffic service using your mobile but you will be subject to data charges for roaming (unless you have a package from your provider)..

One thing I don't understand is why TomTom simply can't transmit the live info through the standard traffic service they have and allow the user to select their own mobile provider. Granted it's a bit extra than it all be integrated, but you usually have your phone with you anyway. Not to mention the benefits it will have to others who won't be buying x40.

I guess it all comes down to the £££££
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Steveee wrote:
I regularly drive between UK, France, Belgium & Netherlands. Would I have to purchase 4 copies of LIVE services to get them working in all 4 countries?

If yes, that makes it a very expensive service.

You cannot use the LIVE services outside of the country in which you purchase your x40. The SIM is internal and will only function in that country, there is no option currently to allow you to use it elsewhere even if you were willing to pay.

... or to put it another way, you wouldn't have to purchase 4 copies of LIVE, you would have to purchase 4 entire units with a separate LIVE for each!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
... or to put it another way, you wouldn't have to purchase 4 copies of LIVE, you would have to purchase 4 entire units with a separate LIVE for each!

Precisely!
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

A question I haven't seen asked, do you know of any testers of the x40 range who have used rerouting to avoid jams, and if so how succesful has it been? I appreciate it will always depend on local roads and conditions, but I would have thought that this could be a major advantage of the new traffic system.

Also, I'm another one who does a substantial amount of continental driving, and I'm sure that if there had been a will, the sim card could have been restricted to Vodafone only companies, and hence made a roaming version possible for a fixed fee.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
A question I haven't seen asked, do you know of any testers of the x40 range who have used rerouting to avoid jams, and if so how succesful has it been? I appreciate it will always depend on local roads and conditions, but I would have thought that this could be a major advantage of the new traffic system.

You'll understand that I can't comment on the experiences of the other testers but on the two occasions I had opted to accept a reroute option the alternative route was one I would have chosen. For one the re-route whilst ten minutes longer than the original route avoided a 20min jam.

Of course you never know if the jam actually existed but I have far more confidence in the HD data than I ever did in TMC. I would never choose to re-route based on TMC data!
Quote:
Also, I'm another one who does a substantial amount of continental driving, and I'm sure that if there had been a will, the sim card could have been restricted to Vodafone only companies, and hence made a roaming version possible for a fixed fee.

I'm not so sure. TomTom are painfully aware that this is an issue and it would appear it is the intransigence of the mobile phone providers at the root of it. We all know who much roaming costs and how reluctant they all are to lower the costs.

The fact that TomTom have managed to negotiate a flat rate deal without contract is notable and we can but hope that in time, a solution that allows travel throughout Europe may come to fruition.

You'd also need to consider that a pan-European solution could result in UK customers buying abroad and using here, that would mean them effectively 'roaming' when at home, something the phone companies would not be keen to encourage or permit.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the betting a 950 with roaming supersedes the 940 within 6 months.

Personally I'm sick of updates to products and extra's that never appear.

I'll stick with my built in sat nav in car 1 and my 730t in car 2.

I think for 9 out of 10 people sat nav upgrades will join the list of products they can no longer afford to junk and replace every year - tomtoms entire growth strategy relies on us to act as lemmings ever 6 months. I for one say NO MORE. Very Happy
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Western & Eastern Europe map on the 740 a new combined map or just the Western Europe and Eastern Europe maps both on the same device?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:

So you're saying manufacturers shouldn't bring out new products?
I don't think they would stay in business for long with a strategy like that!

What you REALLY need to do is define your own needs. If the unit you have does what you want, just don't be tempted by the next model to appear.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Mr P, I think what he is saying is that he is sick of being promised something from one product, not receiving it, then it appearing in the next product maybe 6 months down the line and the product that he bought not being updated as initially promised, just as a guess, it always helps if you read what is going on.

Your needs should also only be defined by what you hear from the people you buy your product from, and not just from the people who think they know, if after all the research in the world you decide to go for a product that promises you HD Traffic (from their own website) you buy that product, they renege on their promise, or they do for the forseeable then you have every right to feel annoyed and to say that they will not be getting anymore of your dosh.

They would stay in business a hell of a lot longer if they made everything work on all their other products and honouring their commitments before producing yet another piece of Hardware that is basically the same but with yet another bell and half a whistle.

Quote:
What you REALLY need to do is define your own needs. If the unit you have does what you want, just don't be tempted by the next model to appear.

So what you are saying is that everyone who buys an x40 will be a new customer, not having used a TT before. Because all of us x10, x20, x30 and all the other ones that have been produced should never have been tempted by up to date Traffic information anyway because we already own one of their products, what a bunch of grapes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
No, Mr P, I think what he is saying is that he is sick of being promised something from one product, not receiving it, then it appearing in the next product maybe 6 months down the line and the product that he bought not being updated as initially promised, just as a guess, it always helps if you read what is going on.

Maybe you're right, but where he says:
Quote:

...the way I read it his main issue is the possibility of 950 appearing, i.e. an it's an update to the product range that he is sick about, and he is ALSO sick of extras that never appear.
Let's see if iancjc can tell us which he meant....

Quote:
Your needs should also only be defined by what you hear from the people you buy your product from, and not just from the people who think they know,

Eh?

Quote:
if after all the research in the world you decide to go for a product that promises you HD Traffic (from their own website) you buy that product, they renege on their promise, or they do for the forseeable then you have every right to feel annoyed and to say that they will not be getting anymore of your dosh.

No-one is disagreeing that TomTom have a history of announcing new extras that never appear, but did they ever actually ever PROMISE the HD traffic receiver?

Quote:

So what you are saying is that everyone who buys an x40 will be a new customer, not having used a TT before. Because all of us x10, x20, x30 and all the other ones that have been produced should never have been tempted by up to date Traffic information anyway because we already own one of their products, what a bunch of grapes

That's not what I said at all.
I was taking issue with people who seem to think they MUST update to the latest model just because it has been released, or who feel cheated because what they bought (which they were perfectly happy with) now doesn't do the things a newer model does.

I'd love a new model with all the bells and whistles, but that doesn't make my existing unit any less capable than it was before.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember they ALREADY make and sell the add on receiver - they just don't want to sell it here becuase they think they can get everyone to rush out and buy a whole new sat nav - i think their new marketing guy needs a wake up call - we're heading into a recession at the moment and people are going to be thinking very had about splashing out on stuff like this - even more so if they have experience with the dubious marketing plays of TomTom.

DinAlt
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify

what I want is the hd traffic add on I've been reading about for the past 6 months for my 730 and that was promised by tomtom on their website months ago. It is I think is available in Holland so why not here - the only reason given is the lack of a carrier - but this is now solved with the x40 range so sell me the add on - not a new unit.

What I'd want (and need) from a 940 (or a £90pa sub for traffic) is europe wide traffic - which may become available at some point on the x40 range but I'm betting it won't and you'll need a new unit offering it at some point. Probably a 950??????

My main point is that tomtom's growth is based on new products and us buying them - 95% of journeys we all make we can do in our sleep - the traffic info (if it works and is accurate - which HD appears to be) is all I mostly need for those 95% of trips I know the way to.

I've had Navigator on pda's (all versions from route planner/city maps to v6) and then a ONE and now a 730t.

No more though - the 730t is a disappointment to be honest, I got it as it represented a good way to buy new maps with extra functions I'd use (BT phone in particular) - the tmc traffic reception is poor with the dongle I got (not a patch on the TMC reception on my landcruiser). The data is crap on both.

With money tight I honestly believe people will look at this and say - " I can't justify the price......"

I drive 40,000 miles a year and honestly on most hold ups - all the alternatives are just as bad as the original delay. If the 730t dies I'd look at a new unit but for now I don't trust tomtom to deliver on their promises.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Your needs should also only be defined by what you hear from the people you buy your product from, and not just from the people who think they know,

Eh?

What I meant was that when you research into buying something like this, you must rely on the information received from the company you are going to buy from, in this case TT have stated in several different places that this receiver would be available to its x20 and x30 purchasers as an add-on at a later date, so lots of people may have gone out and purchased an x20 or x30 on that promise, for them to then change their plans is very wrong.

I think peoples needs have been defined if they are promised something by the company they are buying from and they haven't relied on sites like this (the think they knows), and that actually sounds a little ruder than it should so I apologise for my use of words in the original post.

Cheers

Carl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I think peoples needs have been defined if they are promised something by the company they are buying from and they haven't relied on sites like this (the think they knows), and that actually sounds a little ruder than it should so I apologise for my use of words in the original post.

It does and I'd ask you to moderate your comments a little in future please. AndyP's comment is perfectly valid and 'm not sure what 'think they knows" is meant to suggest either?

The continual moan about new units being launched is wholly invalid. Industry is driven by new products, it is THE life blood of any manufacturer. If they don't continue to release new models then the investors pull out and its game over. No-one forces any of us to update, if the device you have now offers all the functionality you need then don't update.

As far as HD Traffic is concerned. I'd be very surprised if Trading Standards or Citizens Advice entertained any hope of action against TT for their failure to deliver a planned/promised accessory.

TT have not yet officially announced it is to be shelved, it may simply be postponed. Anyone claiming they bought an x30 on the 'promise' of the accessory 6 months down the line has my sympathy but you can't claim it is not fit for purpose without nor is a manufacturer liable if they choose subsequently not to launch it for whatever reason.

It's disappointing IF it is shelved but some of the responses here are getting rather silly and a sense of perspective is in order. We have no idea of the actual reasons behind any delay/cancellation and until we do I think we need to step back and take a deep breath.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: