Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on Which Sat Nav Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Which Sat Nav Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Advice on Which Sat Nav Please Reply with quote

Not a newbie as such but I am to the standalone devices. I am looking to buy a car sat nav such as the Tom Tom One XL for UK and Europe...but there is also the Garmin as well as others.

I would like to buy N.America maps some time in the future but thats about it. I've used Tom Tom and Co-Pilot for a number of years but whilst I appreciate some people will be biased...which is the best setup for decent maps to buy around the £150- £180 mark ?

One other thing...I like planning routes..on Google for instance and with Tyre you can import into Tom Tom so not sure if that rules out the Garmin...

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)

Last edited by topgazza on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good search for the Tomom 720 for full Eropean or even the 520 if all you need is UK for now, the American mapping can be added to either device at a later date, and if you look around these x20 devices can be picked up for far less than you budget figure offering much more than the One XL in terms of capability - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about that one Mike. Thanks for the tip.....some really good prices..mid £150s on that one. Not too bothered about FM transmitter or Bluetooth but as they're included anyway........its a shame not to

Only thing I will miss about my Nokia E61 is the simple air vent mount I have...I have never liked the windscreen mounts so would see if the 720 will stick to my plastic dash....in a Passat unless there is another way

Edit: Its Ok...found the Arkon air vent mounts on the Handtec web site as well..

Would it be fair to say that if I really didn't need the BT and FM the XL model would do as well...be it all £10 or so more expensive ?

Fizzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just bought the XL v2 Traffic with the new EasyPort mount. It's very slim and fits in my pocket quit easily and the mount isn't very obstructive either. However, I've mounted it in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen and it's a real PITA to get it to clip in to the mount properly. It's actually easier when I'm out of the car to mount it. I hadn't even considered the 720T at the time and Handtec are offering a refurbished unit for slightly less than I paid for the XL. Like you, I wouldn't use the FM transmitter but the BT I would use. Kind of wishing I'd have bought the 720 now although I'm trying to convice myself the RDS\TMC is better on the XL as it's newer Confused
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got a Nokia bluetooth device built in under my dash.....which I use for my phone anyway which cuts the radio off and uses the car and microphone stereo audio when a call comes in or out...So I don't need another one ...

The XL screen size is a plus for me although the 720 isn't shabby of course. As you say the XL is very slim and I would use an Arkon vent mount for it.....where I currently have my E61 mount. So its not a problem in my case.

To me the new TTs, 930 etc, have have lots of features that I wouldn't really need. I just want a straight forward Sat Nav utility. Even the TMC is not critical to me although I'll probably regret saying that of course.

topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking and have narrowed it down to the two mentioned. The XL Europe 22 and the 720. Would buy either from Handtec....

Both similar prices and the only diffrerence that makes a real difference for me is the 720 has text to speech....nice to have but not essential I suppose. I had it with my CoPilot 5 a while ago and found it useful...didn't have it with TT6 on my Nokia E61 and didn't miss it that much as the clear instructions to "turn left now" were good enough.

I suppose I don't have to pair the BT in the 720 with anything anyway...for now. The FM doen't bother me at all. Both are excellent and I assume both will have the latest maps ? I know the XL will....I only ask becuase none of the sites, including Tom Tom, are very good at supplying every detail.

Oh...I still would like to install my own routes via Tyre...am I right in thinking this is easy on both models ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: