Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zumo Sound problem with Autocom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zumo Sound problem with Autocom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gee2wt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Zumo Sound problem with Autocom Reply with quote

Does anyone have any problems with the low sound on the Zumo when connected to an Autocom using the Zumo lead supplied by Autocom.
I have been trying to sort this problem out for 6 months and have now sent the Zumo back and got a 2820 as a replacement. Autocom say that Garmin have reduced the volume on the Zumo by 50% compared to the 2820. I can't hear a conversation on the bluetooth phone above 30mph. Garimin are passing the buck back to Autocom saying it's Autocoms problem. Meanwhile I am stuck in the middle as a paying customer getting no where fast.
Directions and MP3 volume is also quiet at speeds above 30mph.
Any feed back on your volume issues will be greatly appreciated.
RedStormV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

See my recent post here :

Click Here

I've also got issues with sound levels.

Any ideas if the alleged 50% volume reductio is supposed to be between the 500 & 550?

Mate has a Zumo500 when he's finished shifts this weekend will see if we can do direct comparison.

RSV
RedStormV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

May have found solution ....

http://www.zumoforums.com

In their 'How To Guides' theres a sub heading of:

How to Modify TTS Voices to Make them Louder

I registered before I found it, just waiting for confirmation of registration mail.

You can't view the subjects without being registered. Wink

RSV
RedStormV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Now a member of the above forum too.

Lots of damn good info for Zumo's

Get joined up. Wink
Treksec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is to avoid the Autocom 'special' lead (part 13XX depending on your system) and use a straightforward three pole stereo screened lead with 3.5mm jacks (just like the one in the box the Autocom came in).

If you get any ground loop interference (GLI) - you hear a hum or buzz - get a simple isolator for about a fiver off ebay - plug and play. No reduction in volume and cheaper too.

My mate proved to himself the Autocom lead was the problem by hooking up with an 'ordinary' lead alongside for swapsies - he couldn't believe the amount of volume the Autocom lead sucked out by comparison.

The Autocom part is a straightforward stereo lead with their own ground loop interference isolator built in for £28. Nice idea and works as far as GLI is concerned but screws down the output volume too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a long standing customer of Autocom and their stuff is great, but they need to sort this one out and quick! Rolling Eyes
riledave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi also suffering the low noise issue.
Has anyone been in touch with Autocom and do they intend doing anything about it?

I noticed someone mentioned updated maps! the 2008 update is out for about £60 - i've bought it and there are 2 places within a mile of where i live that the roads have been down for 5 years and they still do not appear on the update. On my travels there are other areas not up tp date. This also goes for the speed camera update that i subscribe to in one trip from hastings to gloucester there were 5 instances of incorrect notifications so if your thinking of keeping up to date with Garmin - don't bother.
Don't get me wrong - great unit if you want to be sent down cra* lanes instead of good roads, be sent on routes that are not the fastest, even though thats the preference selected. I wish I had stuck to Tom Tom.

BigD
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Noise levels Reply with quote

I use a Zumo 500 and an Autocom with bluetooth connection, I have heard the unit tell me of a turnoff at 120mph+ with no problem, in fact I turned it down. I also use ear plugs which dont give a problem. It does help to ensure that the speakers are in just the right place, using a multitec helmet this isn't an issue
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Zumo and an autocom. I used to use the isolator lead but, as others have found, it does attenuate the sound.

My solution was to find an isolator for the power going into ALL the units (bike-bike radio, autocom and GPS). That way, no others are needed.

Then, I connected a normal 3.5mm lead to the autocom and sound is great.

Alan
nwinton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
I have the Zumo and an autocom. I used to use the isolator lead but, as others have found, it does attenuate the sound.

My solution was to find an isolator for the power going into ALL the units (bike-bike radio, autocom and GPS). That way, no others are needed.

Then, I connected a normal 3.5mm lead to the autocom and sound is great.

Alan

Do you have more information about the isolator you used and what you mean by "an isolator for the power going into ALL the units" as I don't understand where you have fitted it.

Any advice greatfully received as the current volume when I'm on the phone through my Zumo is useless.

Thanks
Nick
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

It's a BOSS automotive noise filter. You can buy it off ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSS-AUDIO-POWER-NOISE-INTERFERENCE-FILTER-SUPPRESSOR_W0QQitemZ380037791298QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380037791298&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I installed it across the switched power and earth. I then connected my Autocom, bike powered radio and Zumo to the live output from the BOSS system and all earths to the battery earth. No more hummmmmmms

Alan
sanqhar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 550 and Autocom Super Pro Avi. They are both wired to the bike via a Centech fuse box. I do not use a ground loop isolator and do not get any feedback. I think this is because both the Zumo and the Autocom share a common live feed and earth to the bike.

My Zumo volume is low.

I have now set the "Bluetooth Headset Audio" on the Zumo to "Phone Only", even though I do not have a phone in the system, just in case the other choice "Navigation, MP3, Phone" somehow splits any output signal.

If that doesn't work I'll raise the Autocom driver's volume a bit and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

tom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: