Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go - Which Car Mount? Buy a Brodit? Which one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go - Which Car Mount? Buy a Brodit? Which one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go - Which Car Mount? Buy a Brodit? Which one? Reply with quote

Having decided to install a centre console mount, rather than the supplied window sucker - which is not bad for its kind, can anyone offer their opinion of which option?

I would like a permanent wired installation but want to avoid damaging the interior and/or taking on an installation that requires real fitting skills!

So...I am thinking of installing the prescribed Brodit pro-clip for my car and a passive tilt n swivel mount. This seems to be a small not easy to spot arrangement that will give a sturdy mount but require me to still attach the cigar charger and Traffic leads.

However...would anyone champion the Active Holder instead? - and if so, why? or maybe even another manufacturer's system? I am put off the Active mount only because it appears bulkier and I'm scared off by those who say that future Traffic HD updates will render it obsolete.

Any help and advice much appreciated.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went for the Brodit Active Mount rather than the passive mount simply because it was going to be easier to fix the TT in place whenever I wanted to use it (no fiddly wires to connect). You still get wires trailing around the place (in particular the TMC lead) but it is generally better than the old windscreen mount. I may look at getting it wired in more permanently in the future, but for the moment, I'm very happy with the current set-up.

Are you going to get the HD Traffic option imminently (or as soon as it comes out?). Remember that if you do, you will be able to buy a new mount (when it's available), but won't need to get a new Pro-Clip.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daggers, that's good feedback.

No, I doubt I'll look at the HD until it's been soundly tested - probably from users who report here! I was just wanting to future-proof a little.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model of Go have you got?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for a mount that can also use the USB RDS-TMC receiver then any HD receiver would also work - same plug and data connection - Mike
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 920 T.

As far as I'm aware, the supplied Traffic Lead will work with the Active Mount, won't it? And are you sure the new HD system will use the same connection?

Has anybody installed a passive and wished they'd installed an active or visa versa? How about the other systems on the market, Carrcom (sic), any observations?

All comments appreciated. I'll make my choice today or tomorrow. Thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Carcomm mount fort eh x20/x30's. Brodit have some good solutions and a much wider range but for quality and design the Carcomm option is the one I prefer.

I reviewed the x20/x30 mount back in the summer and it is still the one I use daily.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for a brodit mount I recommend you use it in conjunction with the mini move clip
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
If you go for a brodit mount I recommend you use it in conjunction with the mini move clip

Not a lot of point if you plan on a permanent install/hard wire though? I have to ProClip's in my car, one for the Carcomm which is plumbed in, and the other equipped with a MoveClip so I can chop and change mounts as reviews dictate.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Darren, if I buy the Carrcom - can I fit it easilly to the brodit Pro-clip? (as they do one made for my car model)

Also, what is a mini-move? It sounds great - Is this an accessory option from brodit? Is it easy to fit etc? bulky? stable?

Thanks all.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
So Darren, if I buy the Carrcom - can I fit it easilly to the brodit Pro-clip? (as they do one made for my car model)

Yes, the Carcomm affixes using scres to the ProClip. I'm using a Brodit ProClip with Carcomm cradle.
Quote:
Also, what is a mini-move? It sounds great - Is this an accessory option from brodit? Is it easy to fit etc? bulky? stable?

Then move clip is a two part 3M adhesive backed clip, one piece affixes to the ProClip, the other to the cradle. This removes the need for screws and allows the easy removal of the cradle. Although unnecessary for a permanent install it does make installation easier.

The two parts have a matching wedge/groove which is very secure and simple and the adhesive tape used is more than capable of holding the weight of the cradle/device etc.

Brodit Move Mount

thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get the Brodit Pro-clip, mini-move mount and the carcomm cnm 168.

However, where does one order the Carcomm products from? There is no shop on their website or links to distributors!

Thanks for all your advice.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
I'm going to get the Brodit Pro-clip, mini-move mount and the carcomm cnm 168.

DSLDevelopments for the Brodit parts.
Quote:
However, where does one order the Carcomm products from? There is no shop on their website or links to distributors

And TotalPDA for the Carcomm cradle. I've linked to the CNM-168 which is identical to the 167 but adds Audio pass thru to the mix.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren, all ordered.

It's the first cnm 168 they've sold and they have yet to see any stock - so I'll let you know how I get on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
Cheers Darren, all ordered.

It's the first cnm 168 they've sold and they have yet to see any stock - so I'll let you know how I get on.

Oh! Well if you don't need the Audio Pass-thru, the 167 would suffice if they do have trouble sourcing the 168.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: