Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - White cross on start up TomTom 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

White cross on start up TomTom 530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: White cross on start up TomTom 530 Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following.

When I attempt to turn-on my TomTom 530, I have a white cross in a red circle. Prior to this problem the device is 2 months old, and I have always updated all software (device and TT home) to latest versions.

First I tried to reset the device by using the reset override (pressing with pin), however this had no effect. I then connected the device to my computer where TomTom Home version 2.4.0.104 automatically ran. TT Home told me new software had been installed, and I had to disconnected the device, start it, then connect again. I tried this but it made no difference.

With the device connected I can’t appear to access any files on it’s internal memory card, if I try and view two (2) removable disks appear in Windows explorer and my machine runs very slow as it tries to access their data, no data can be seen on these two removable drives.

I followed TomTom’s own instructions for solving this, they suggest running TT Home with device connected, and selecting adding new maps. I have done this however TT Home software informs me I have zero (0) MB of space available on the device. I also ran a check for new updates and the device displayed the main TomTom device application in list of upgrades, however again it would not install as it said I had 0 space left. When opening the screen to display items to remove from the device the screen froze.

I’m going to phone TomTom on Monday, but before this can anyone give any advice.

Many thanks
Jason
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Connect the device to the PC and shut the TomTom Home application down, also right click the icon for Home in the tray lower right corner on your PC and select Exit. With Home fully shut down using Windows Explorer can you see either of the drives and most importantly the files/ folders stored on them? - Mike
Boomer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for reply

I have done this and can now access the card - well sort off.

I can't gain access to the folders, and I'm seeing what appears corrupt file names. I tried writing a simple text file in the root folder, and Windows returned with a strange error returning a HEX code - I work in computers and not seen before, access is still very slow to the card and it's slowing whole machine down. I would say the internal memory card is corrupt.

Here is the problem, I don't have a backup of the card, not a manual one at least. I'm not even sure if I did a backup using TTHome My previous TomTom I did them all the time by showing hidden files and copying from the device manually, this however I never got around to.

If I was to format the card, is there any recovery process using TomTom Home?

Thanks
Jason
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a backup in order to recover the device, I would also try connecting the device to the PC with no SD card inserted and does the PC still seem slow when accessing the built in memory?

To see if you did take a backup start Home and go to Tools/ TomTom Home Preferences, click the folder preferences tab and it will show you the location where any backups are stored on your PC, have a look in that location using Windows Explorer.

How old is the device? - if its only a few weeks old returning it to the place you purchesed it for a replacement might be the easy option - Mike
Boomer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help.

Re booting with the card out, the device is a 530, and I'm using it's internal memory, so can't boot without card.

I have checked the backup folder and it would appear I do I have a back-up. Checking the date it appears it was made the first day I received the device, and most likely before any software or map updates were made.

Here's a question? If a TTHome backup has completed correctly is this sufficient to format a card, and attempt to restore?

I would like to format the card, and attempt to restore using TTHome but unsure if this will work.

The device was purchased 8 weeks ago from Handtec.co.uk

Jason
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your device should work without a memory card as the x20 and x30 devices all have internal Flash memory within them. I would try connecting the device to the PC and using Windows Explorer right click the drive letter associated with the TomTom and select Properties, this should tell you how much space is in use/ available on the internal memory.

If it won't boot up and refuses to show contents/ properties etc use Windows Explorer to format the device than re-install the backup using TomTom Home - Mike
Boomer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get to it's internal flash memory, when I click properties on the drive Windows Explorer crashes.

I have tried the same from a command prompt and when going to the drive (my case I: ) it sits there for while, then after over a minute says the drive is corrupt and unreadable.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case give TomTom Support a ring in the morning and explain the internal flash memory has died, the phone number is 0845 161 0009 you shouldn't have to run the device from the SD card although this is a possible option you could consider, I would want the device repaired/ replaced as what is next to fail? - Mike
Boomer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After I posted the last post - I tried to Format the drive from command prompt. After a very long time it completed, but at the very end said the volume was corrupt.

I tried to do a restore from TTHome (I don't have a manual backup where you select hidden files), and TTHome said it could not complete because certain files were missing.

Now I'm a little concerned they try and make out i've messed up the card, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: