Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS recommendation wanted for memory-map 2004 user
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS recommendation wanted for memory-map 2004 user

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonides
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: GPS recommendation wanted for memory-map 2004 user Reply with quote

Hello - I've got a sizeable investment in memory-map 2004 and maps but it's time to get a gps to go with it. I'm a runner and walker. As a walker I want to record my walks, especially waypoints I want to mark during the walk, and then transfer to memory-map for analysis and recording the route and identify the waypoint co-ordinates.

Which GPS should I go for? I was wonderering about etrex h but don't know if it's compatible. All suggestions considered.

Also wondered if worth going for a running gps , eg. the forerunner 305? Would that allow me to transfer routes and waypoints to Memory Map 2004?

Finally, if I bought an upgrade to bring my s/w up to date, can I use all my old maps and aerial photos? Would that open up opportunities of what gps to buy?

thanks, all

regards

Simonides
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would investigate the use of a GPS equipped PDA or even a PDA coupled to a Bluetooth or CF GPS receiver, on this you can run the Memory Map software with excellent quality OS mapping you have invested in. What it will do is show your route and current position, it can even record your heart rate if you want to.
To stop the PDA from being damaged put it in an Otter box.

The Garmin units are OK, but they cannot use your Memory Map software, the Topo mapping they are supplied with is no where near as good, you will be disappointed with what you see. There are some newer units which will accept OS Topo mapping soon, but you will end up purchasing your maps again which is costly.

As for upgrading your Memory Map software, I wouldn't as the maps are locked to specific versions, so if your maps are 2004 or earlier they will not work (i.e. the newer software cannot open them) due to the license agreement between OS and Memory Map. As the version you have will run on a Pocket PC, the newer software won't offer much in way of additional hardware you can use, the newer code will run on the Microsoft Smart Phones, these are phones without a touch screen, but in use I didn't find this too good. Put the software and maps on a PDA and it is very good. - Mike
simonides
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there !

thanks for your detailed and very interesting reply. My reservation about going the PDA route is that I'd be carrying something much larger than I'd intended. What sort of device did you have in mind? Maybe they aren't too big after all? A palm perhaps ? or a windows XP ultraportable?

Also, just to underline that I don't need memory map while I'm out - I just need something to track where I've been with a minimum of fuss and capture waymarks to transfer to the map later. I'd be surprised and disappointed if there are no gps units I can buy that would let me do that.

The memory map software has garmin usb and serial listed as options so I was hoping to be able to pick up a cheap garmin for that purpose. Sounds like you are reasonably sure it won't work - wonder if you know where the problem lies?

regards
Simonides
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the Garmin unit to work very well, but if you don't need the display the PDA offers running the software you already have then consider a simple GPS logging device that will record where you have been and the output can be imported to Memory Map, no display as such, but is this the sort of device you want? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would expect the Garmin unit to work very well, but if you don't need the display the PDA offers running the software you already have then consider a simple GPS logging device that will record where you have been and the output can be imported to Memory Map, no display as such, but is this the sort of device you want? - Mike

I considered suggesting a data-logger but it is not easy to record a specific way-point for future reference though with one of these?

Perhaps just a very basic handheld such as an eTrex or similar?
simonides
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Perhaps just a very basic handheld such as an eTrex or similar?

Yes that would be top choice, but only if I could save the route and waypoints to Memory Map 2004, but Mike thinks that wouldn't work,

regards
Simonides
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said The Garmin units cannot use Memory Map I was refering to the actual maps, any recorded positional data that can be exported from a GPS device will be able to be imported to the Memory Map software although it might require translation by a third party application depending upon what you decide on.

In short, the Garmin trail data will be compatible with the MM software, but you cannot make use of the Ordnance Survey electronic maps while out and about if using the Garmin, for post process it will work fine - Mike
simonides
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
although it might require translation by a third party application depending upon what you decide on.

In short, the Garmin trail data will be compatible with the MM software

ah, now that's sounding much more hopful. If I can buy a garmin, (etrex h? forerunner 205/305/405?) do the walk, select some waymarks and load the route into Memory Map 2004 then I'll be very happy.

BTW, what's the third party conversion software you mentioned?

regards

Simonides
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonides wrote:
BTW, what's the third party conversion software you mentioned?
You probably won't need to convert data, but this will depend upon which device you decide upon, something like GPS Babel will convert between a huge array of data types - see Here - Mike
simonides
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - I think I'm about ready to buy the gps then.

May I ask if you or anyone else has actually tried the etrex h or forerunner series with MM2004? I guess I can take it back if it doesn't interface properly although gpsbabel looks like it could address any problems!

regards
Simonides
HughA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simonides

I recently bought an eTrex-H and can confirm that it works beautifully with MM2004. Routes, tracks and waypoints can be transferred in either direction between my desktop PC and the eTrex and it also works perfectly with my IPAQ Pocket PC if needed. You don't need any additional software but you will need to buy the apprpriate interface cables.

I recommend the eTrex-H as it is very sensitive and can maintain lock in most conditions even when in a pocket. It is also very cheap (£65 from Amazon) and will operate for 12 hours or more on a pair of AA rechargeable cells.

Hugh
simonides
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh and Mike
that's been very helpful - Sounds like the eTrex-H would be a great choice. As a runner, I do wonder about the forerunner 205 etc. though but will probably go for the eTrex-H.

thanks both!

regards

Simonides
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonides wrote:
Hugh and Mike
that's been very helpful - Sounds like the eTrex-H would be a great choice. As a runner, I do wonder about the forerunner 205 etc. though but will probably go for the eTrex-H.

thanks both!

regards

Simonides

Have you looked at the Forerunner 405?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering the eTrex -H what about the Camo that has come up for sale earlier this morning?? see Here - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: