Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 200 lags behind...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 200 lags behind...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snarling_bear
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Nuvi 200 lags behind... Reply with quote

Hello to all,

Firstly I must say how fabulously helpful I’ve found this site, it has become my first port of call for advice and I seem to remember subscribing in record time from first viewing!

I’ve search here and Googled this to death, but don’t seem able to find any conclusive advice. In the last week I’ve noticed my Nuvi 200W has started to “lag” behind the real world by sometimes as much as several seconds. This never used to be a problem before and seems to have stated out of the blue. Whilst it’s not the end of the world, it can make road spotting tricky in built up areas, and POIs don’t seem to appear quite where they should be.

I’ve tried resetting several times to no avail, and read somewhere about waiting until the unit had a satellite lock before driving away could help but the problem remains.

As the unit is still useable I’m not losing any sleep over this, but I am slightly niggled by it.....

Thanks,

Bob
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

They all tend to do that. I've found that zooming out a bit more helps.
snarling_bear
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I had a fiddle around with the zoom and it did improve things a little. Although it's never been absolutely pin point accurate, I'm sure it used to be better than it currently is. As I said, a bit of a niggle but I can live with it.

Cheers

B
Viking9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarling_bear wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I had a fiddle around with the zoom and it did improve things a little. Although it's never been absolutely pin point accurate, I'm sure it used to be better than it currently is. As I said, a bit of a niggle but I can live with it.

Cheers

B

I've never had that problem with my 200W, it always seems very accurate. Perhaps the operating system has got a glitch, it is a computer after all Wink. Try pressing the reset button.

Tom
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've found with the latest firmware it seems to lag quite badly behind to the point where you miss turns as it looks like it is the NEXT left turn as opposed to the one you just passed...

might have to clear it of all user pois and give it a whirl see if it just can't handle 60,000 points!

MaFt
snarling_bear
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i've found with the latest firmware it seems to lag quite badly behind to the point where you miss turns as it looks like it is the NEXT left turn as opposed to the one you just passed...MaFt

Thanks for the reply. Now you mention it this has indeed all started after the last software update.

It wasn't a major problem until coming home from hols the other day when I took the wrong exit off a couple of roundabouts. I'm starting to notice it more and more.....

Is it possible to revert back to previous firmware versions?

Bob
snarling_bear
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update on this if any is interested.....

Had some contact from Garmin and they suggested using the Webupdater service to upgrade the GPS firmware. It appears on the list after it attempts to update the device software and is listed as "GPS Chipset". It appears in the page with all the text language updates, hope that makes sense!

Anyway, I installed it, the Nuvi reports that it is updating it's GPS firmware and starts up as usual. I've taken it for a spin around the block and the lag issue appears reduced Very Happy, will be keeping an eye on it over the coming days / weeks......

Bob
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarling_bear wrote:

Anyway, I installed it, the Nuvi reports that it is updating it's GPS firmware and starts up as usual. I've taken it for a spin around the block and the lag issue appears reduced Very Happy, will be keeping an eye on it over the coming days / weeks......

only reduced? not fixed then ;)

i'll give it a try soon!

MaFt
snarling_bear
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

only reduced? not fixed then ;)

Erm no, not quite. It did seem a little better last night but I've been off on my travels today and so monitored it's performance along the way.

I'm not convinced that the problem is fixed. I found that not only does it still lag behind a little, but occasionally it seems a little ahead of me! If it could work somewhere in the middle I'd be happy!

On my journey back this evening it seemed pretty much ok but I'd be interested to hear if it does work for someone else.

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: