Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help required ???????????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help required ???????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: help required ??????????? Reply with quote

Today after updating TomTom Home to 2.4 is it.I noticed map share facility wasnt on my screen anymore so restored my device from my computer. Now ever since(dont know if the things are connected but worked fine before) my GO720 stops at the start up picture i have tried several times the reset button to no affect. Aslo I cant switch it off so have to use the reset button and the computer no longer recognise it when I connect it. can anyone help?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect it to the PC and switch it on, can you see the drive letters using Windows Explorer that corespond to the TomTom? You might have to shut TomTom Home down on the PC though first if it starts up on its own - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Connect it to the PC and switch it on, can you see the drive letters using Windows Explorer that corespond to the TomTom? You might have to shut TomTom Home down on the PC though first if it starts up on its own - Mike

yes can see in my case h for the go720 and i can see all the folders/files

thanks for this
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, if you open the drive letter associated with your TomTom it will list the folders and loose files that are contained within the root directory of the device.

Make a full Windows Explorer Back up of the device as it currently is, this is just in case but a wise move. If you are unsure how to do this please have a read of the FAQ page #1 covers this topic, the FAQ page can be found by clicking Here

Then, Delete all the loose files

DO NOT TOUCH ANY FOLDERS AT ALL OR ANY FILES WITHIN FOLDERS.

Connect the device to the PC, start TomTom Home and let it update the device, this should re-install a full set of software required to get the unit up and running again - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currenty making space on an external drive to copy all under - in my case - TomTom (H): folder, lock stock and barrel to it.

Then the folder go from Art to Zip i leave these alone and delete files i.e. autorun , bootloader to Userpatch.dat once i have backed up.is that right
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you have the right idea - the backup is only needed just in case, but it is a wise precaution to take - if you don't have one already this step is vital!
Also consider burning a new backup to DVD when you get the device fully sorted out.

If you get stuck or are unsure at any point post back for further details - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all done, lost all fav's but no big deal and now on start up get white sheet no start up image but suppose just need to download another from somewhere, So on first look all ok now thanks alot Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your backup file on the PC will be the files needed to get around this minor problem. (This is why I told you to take a backup, just in case).

For the POI settings/ Favourites etc go to the back up on the PC and locate the map folder it will be named something like "Western Europe" or possibly "Western and Central Europe" open this and find the file "Map Settings.cfg" copy this file to the map folder on your device.

For the start up screens (and shutdown/ battery warning screens) these will be located in the root of the backup folder on the PC (the loose files), copy the following to the root directory of your device:

antitheftw.bmp
lowbatteryw.bmp
splashw.bmp

Once you have the device running correctly with all your warnings set up and the splash screen operating correctly make another backup and then burn that to DVD for safe keeping.

Glad to hear the unit is now working though, only a few more steps as detailed above and it will be back to "as before" - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all done with the exception of the antitheftw.bmp couldnt find it even the search function couldnt but thanks very much once again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your e-mail, I have sent the missing file although it isn't too important - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that all was very good of you thank you,i have just bought a second 720 for the wife, but without you that would have to been the one i use,pushing my luck with your help once more, and as they are both mine (bought and paid for) can't I use the new map on the new one to update the old?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly you need to fully backup the new 720 this is the most important part about TomTom ownership, it can consume vast quantity of storage space on a PC's hard drive, for example the TomTom folder on my PC is currently running at 101GB Shocked

You cannot use your new map on the new device, maps are locked to the hardware and are not interchangeable. Your new 720 will have come with a Map Guarantee card, when you use this you will get the very latest map for free.

1/ Backup the device. (Using Windows Explorer)
2/ Create a New account with TT Home, this MUST be using a different e-mail address to your first account (Stupid I know, but I didn't make the rules).
3/ Update the software (probably to 7,481 then 8,010) using TT Home
4/ Use latest Map Guarantee for new Map Using TT Home

Your new device will now be at the same map and software release as your other unit - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot use your new map on the new device, maps are locked to the hardware and are not interchangeable. Your new 720 will have come with a Map Guarantee card, when you use this you will get the very latest map for free.

1/ Backup the device. (Using Windows Explorer)
2/ Create a New account with TT Home, this MUST be using a different e-mail address to your first account (Stupid I know, but I didn't make the rules).
3/ Update the software (probably to 7,481 then 8,010) using TT Home
4/ Use latest Map Guarantee for new Map Using TT Home

Your new device will now be at the same map and software release as your other unit - Mike[/quote]

ok think i got it, still awaiting delivery, so cant right now, but your saying login with new go720 and update same as did with orginal when first got it, and then when i connect my old 720 with its old maps ,those maps will be updated as well.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new unit will get its update for free once, after that you have to pay for any map updates. Your old device will only be updated if/ when you pay for the updates for that device.
The units are treated as totally separate devices by TomTom and any update to a device is locked to that specific device, an update to Machine A has no bearing on Machine B.

I had wrongly assumed you had recently updated your original 720, if this isn't the case you will need to update that to get the new maps on it, when you see what the new maps and software offers you will want this on your device (Or give the wife the old unit and you keep the New 720) - Mike
Icelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again yes we were mis-understanding each other for mo,all clear now

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: