Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP314 Is it compatible with Memory Map - Linesman?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP314 Is it compatible with Memory Map - Linesman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DodgyAnkle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: HP314 Is it compatible with Memory Map - Linesman? Reply with quote

Hi, I have registered to see if anyone can help answer the above question. I am considering buying the HP314 to use with the WW1/2 trench map system by Memory Maps called Linesman. They recommend Mio 360 but it is too pricey for me and all the facilities would not be used. Thank you Wink
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The 314 only has Windows CE, whereas Memory Map requires Windows Mobile, so it's unlikely to be installable "out of the box". I'm not saying that it's impossible (maybe someone else can help) but it's unlikely to be any easier than installing on a really cheap Win CE navigator like the Navigo (£50+).

Consider a proper WM5/6 PPC such as, e.g. an HP114 with external Bluetooth GPS recever, or personally I like the look of the Asus A696 at less than £200 (but I have no experience with it).

However, when the Memory Map Technical Forum was working, I seem to remember that the Trench Maps involve a very large amount of "overlay" data, which can be problematic on any PPC.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
adambone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got MM5 running on my 314 and it works just fine..... until you use the built in navigation system which somehow eradicates the map license so it becomes useless until you can reconnect to the PC again. This DRIVES ME MAD as you can well imagine as you can't use the 314 to drive to where you want to walk. MM support are being singularly unhelpful as it is not 'their' machine. I am now trying Quo instead but so far that doesn't install at all onto the 314 so I am currently somewhat peeved.
Memory-Map_Support
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adambone wrote:
I have got MM5 running on my 314 and it works just fine..... until you use the built in navigation system which somehow eradicates the map license so it becomes useless until you can reconnect to the PC again. This DRIVES ME MAD as you can well imagine as you can't use the 314 to drive to where you want to walk. MM support are being singularly unhelpful as it is not 'their' machine. I am now trying Quo instead but so far that doesn't install at all onto the 314 so I am currently somewhat peeved.

Adam,

The reason we are unable to help is not because as you so eloquently phrased 'it is not 'their' machine'.
It is because the iPAQ 314 is not a supported device. The only devices we support are devices that run Windows Mobile 2003 or later and the Road Angel Adventurer 7000.

Kindest Regards
adambone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I am so peeved is that I rang your technical support before buying the device and your agent said yes it would work. I bought it on that premise and when it didn't I contacted you with the time and date of the call and I have been, in my opinion, fobbed off since.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

Which version on MM are you using because they changed the method of licence activation between v5.1.3 and v5.2.7 (I believe both are still available to download from the MM site), or are you using one of the the Road Angel (CE) versions?

But, as I said above (and MM Tech Support should have told you), MM does not officially support any Windows CE devices except the Road Angel. This was all discussed on MM's Technical Forum, but that has regrettably been unavailable for several months now. Crying or Very sad

Cheers, Alan.
adambone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do indeed have 5.1.3 and had patched it up to the latest version so I will try again without the patch. I got sufficiently frustrated that I bought a 2nd hand 2210 on ebay (£27.50 - a bargain) so i do have it working but my GPS antenna is not the best so I would rather use the 314. Thank you for your time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the 2210, my fave PDA of all time! I still use mine with a CF SiRFIII GPS receiver and it works superbly. Only downside is the old issue of it losing it's settings if the battery is allowed to die.
adambone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last one died in my pocket which filled with water whilst circling Wast water in July, it was an old friend. This is what started this whole thing off. I wish I'd just got another one there and then.

Hurrah for the retrospectoscope.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adambone wrote:
... eradicates the map license so it becomes useless until you can reconnect to the PC again.

Hi Adam,

For MM versions up to v5.1.3 there was a PPC utility called PKN_Cleanup which purported to allow you to enter the license key manually, but there was considerable disagreement on the MM forum concerning which PPCs it actually works for.

However v5.2.7 has a manual license key entry option built-in, although I can't remember how to activate it. So in principle, you can save the key in a text file (e.g. via Pocket Notepad) and paste it in "on site", if required.

Alternatively, you might be able to install a (registry) backup/restore utility like Sprite Backup (not freeware unfortunately).

Cheers, Alan.
adambone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have another play. I have re-installed the original MM5 disc onto this computer without upgrading it and I'll see what I can do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: