Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 520 "Clicking" noise after prolonged use. MP3/F
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 520 "Clicking" noise after prolonged use. MP3/F

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: TT 520 "Clicking" noise after prolonged use. MP3/F Reply with quote

Hi,

After using my TT 520 device I've been finding that MP3s seem to almost "click" or "jump" for a very short time (Sub-second) after having used the device for some solid length of time (Eg, 2 hours or so).

The device is set to play MP3's and voice instructions via the FM transmitter.

Is this behaviour expected? Or am I suffering a further problem? It seems to me as though the device is running low on system resources, eg RAM, but I'd have thought being as its only playing an MP3 this shouldn't be the case.

I have noticed this twice now, both when driving for a long-ish period of time (2 hours or more) and have never noticed this when using the device for short periods.

Any info?

Cheers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far past two hours do you get before it starts doing this - try timing it, I often experience this behaviour after three hours (to the point you can almost set your watch by it) - if you can stand it stuttering when it gets very bad eventually the device will re-boot, but turning the unit off then back on clears the fault for me - Mike
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is *very* possible (If not definite) that this happens after 3 hours... I simply hadn't bothered timing it. The first time it happened I never thought about it twice, only on the second time did I consider it might be a problem... I'll give it a go soon and see what happens. I've not got any routes planned (Definitely not around the 3 hour mark) but I suppose just leaving it playing to a house FM receiver will do the same job? None the less, simply knowing that it is not a fault with *my* unit is reassuring.

If in this instance, after 3 hours, I turn the unit off and on again as you mention, will the TT remember the current route or will I have to set these details up again?

Cheers.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LavaChild wrote:
If in this instance, after 3 hours, I turn the unit off and on again as you mention, will the TT remember the current route or will I have to set these details up again?

Cheers.

It will remember it. A destination stays there indefinitely until you clear it.
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. Seems like a simple enough work around Smile

Whilst I remember, another thing which I noticed, though very simple to work around relates to the MP3 and traffic info.

When I get asked if I wish to reroute due to traffic I usually just answer "Yes" or "No" which the device picks up correctly. The device then returns to the mapping screen but the music doesn't return. If I press the Quick Menu button the device begins playing right away and doesn't even require me to go into the Jukebox screen (It simply returns back to the mapping screen with music playing). A very simple fix I know, and nothing worth complaining about... Just wondering if others have noticed the same behaviour?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LavaChild wrote:
When I get asked if I wish to reroute due to traffic I usually just answer "Yes" or "No" which the device picks up correctly. The device then returns to the mapping screen but the music doesn't return. If I press the Quick Menu button the device begins playing right away and doesn't even require me to go into the Jukebox screen (It simply returns back to the mapping screen with music playing).

Yes this is a known bug, I have seen this with the 720 and 930, it is annoying when it does it, but it only seems to do it when asking about re-rooting for traffic delays so it certainly isn't all the time - Mike
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the problem then! Glad to know it is a known bug, thanks for the low-down Very Happy

I tell you what, I'm really splitting hairs even mentioning these minor points... My TomTom 520T really is a superb device and, as I've said before, the PocketGPSWorld database improves it further - As far as satnavs go, for my needs (And budget) the TomTom 520T + £19 PGPSW membership is an untouchable combination... For once, I'm truly happy with a purchase!! And that's not something that happens often Razz Heh.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: