Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One v4: Itinerary Planning and POI management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One v4: Itinerary Planning and POI management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom One v4: Itinerary Planning and POI management Reply with quote

We've just bought a v4 to replace our TomTom ONE v1.

At first sight it looks very good, but we have quickly noticed that there is no menu option for Itinerary Planning.

Does this mean that itinerary planning is not possible on this machine? I suppose one could create a set of Favourites for the places one wants to visit, then as one reaches each one navigate to the next. Is there a better way?

Also, there seem to be no menu options or for Adding or Managing POIs. However, Darren's review suggests it's possible to install POIs via a PC.

Does this mean that it is possible to add one's own POI sets via a PC, but that there is no way to add, edit or delete them?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated!

Hugh
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add POI files via the PC to the device and still use the Navigate to POI, what you cannot do is add POI Categories or actual locations to the POI files on the device.
You can use POIEdit software to append new locations to your existing files on the PC but this is far from ideal.

The "dumbing down" of the capability the newer devices in the One range is not a good move in my opinion, this is made worse when someone upgrades from an earlier One device to the newer products and finds certain functionality missing from what they are used to.

Sadly with the newer devices even running a custom menu on them isn't a viable option to restoring the missing capability, all you can do is complain to TomTom, if sufficient people make a noise about this then they might sit up and listen - Mike
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything else that's been dumbed down? Is there anywhere a table which clearly shows the differences between the different versions?

Luckily, I know how to create new POIs (using POIEdit, or similar). Does the new version provide any means by which I can identify the long/lat of a place so that I can record it as a new POI?

Thanks for your very prompt help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too sure if anything else is "missing" as I don't have the hardware to mess around with!

To find the lat/ long you should still be able to go to "Browse Map" then tap the options button and make sure Show Coordinates is selected, the Lat/ Lng will then be displayed as you browse the map on the device.

As a good starter for ten though I would load up the free Custom POI files from this site which are considerably more accurate that any that came with the device - Mike
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this, the lack of a facility to create new POIs is a huge disadvantage for us ... each year we probably add to our POI sets several hundred locations which are of interest to us. To have to transcribe the lat/long data manually from TomTom's screen to the PC willl be very tedious!

Is there a feature table somewhere which shows which models do have proper POI facilities (and itinerary planning)?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy Beagle wrote:
Is there a feature table somewhere which shows which models do have proper POI facilities (and itinerary planning)?

AFAIK no one as yet has asked for such a look up table, but I am sure it could be produced - If the POI Fuctionality is such a big issue then you could consider returning the unit and shopping around for a new Go-720 which does have the functions you require and will probably cost very little extra - Mike
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried installing v7 Navcore on to the One v4? Will it work and could you then get back these lost features thru a custom menu?
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions, Mike.
markdj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary is still there but in a different form - I've just discovered it !

If you do a route giving start and final destination then go to Alternative route you can add a stop point.

Sorted.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If the POI Fuctionality is such a big issue then you could consider returning the unit and shopping around for a new Go-720 which does have the functions you require and will probably cost very little extra - Mike

Buffy - If you bought on line, under the distance selling regs you have 7 days to return most items.
I got a 720 at Argos yesterday for £180 - limited stock and no home delivery, but there might be one in a store near you. Try to order on line (for collection) and it will tell you which stores have availability.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very kind and helpful suggestion Alan, but we needed a gps promptly. I had just broken our old one and our newer one with bells and whistles was needed by my husband in the camper, but our daughter was setting off to a gig with our car that evening .... (you will note I am here without wheels!!) I had hoped to get a £99 One, but the local shops had sold out .. so we got this v4 just thinking it would have pretty much the same features and I liked the way it folded up. We just didn't have time to research it all properly or buy on line ... and I know the local shops don't let you return it once it is opened, and anyhow, it was needed this weekend.

I don't regret what we did, but it's a bit annoying to find it is quite so downgraded. Thanks Mark for the information on the stop point .... as the machine is away at the moment we can't play with it but that sounds useful.

Buffy :0)
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For itineraries check my recent post where there are several ways pointed out to me for how to create them on PC. Having previously tried on TT300 I can says its MUCH easier to create new itineraries on PC and download to TT.
andyjdhurley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like my One 3rd edition (often, wrongly labelled v3, without the folding mount) also running navcore8 it is possible to bring back the POI Edit menu using a custom menu. It is just the itinerary planning that fails when you try this.

Only thing with doing this is you can't get the Mapshare and Help menus from a custom menu (unless anyone knows better).

Editing POIs is far more useful to me than mapshare so it's a no-brainer but you may feel differently. It's easy enough to turn the custom menus on and off though (provided you are near a PC).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: