Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - car icon off route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

car icon off route
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: car icon off route Reply with quote

tomtom ONE v2 w europe.
maps 7.20
just had a prob today. my car icon showed me well off the road on a route i've used many times without this issue.
seem to remember that gpsquickfix can cause this but i havn't updated that for a couple of weeks??
just in case it is this, could u tell me how to uninstall this please.
thanks
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony, I had exactly the same issue this afternoon on a journey to and from a new location. I got some really weird directions at first and then after going up from 4 satellites to 5, everything seemed to go alright again. I was driving on the A56 towards Warrington, yet my 520 showed me to be on a parallel, residential street for a couple of miles.

I know it was very overcast and had just started to rain, but that normally has no effect.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi richard
mine happened when i had 7 satellites registered!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just soft reset, it'll sort itself out.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren, Quite right, I did that on my return home and so far, all is well.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this issue with the Banbury to Brackley road just past Farthinghoe, i go off route for about quarter of a mile! Tried soft reset but still the same. I believe it's a map error, i've reported it to TT everytime i travel it via mapshare! Our database shows a reported camera also off the road!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
I have this issue with the Banbury to Brackley road just past Farthinghoe,

I used to travel this road very regularly, and it happened every time I used the road. I suspect this instance is likely to be inaccurate map data, rather than a problem with the satellite fix. If you take a look at Google Maps, and use the hybrid option, you can quite clearly see that the road is in the wrong place.

I've also experienced the other, temporary, problem for the entire route of a journey which cured itself the next time I used my TT - these are definitely two distinct issues.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:

I've also experienced the other, temporary, problem for the entire route of a journey which cured itself the next time I used my TT - these are definitely two distinct issues.

Quite agree...

If the map is wrong it will always "show you in a field" at that point.

The other issue is a real weird one, we THINK it might be to do with QuickGPSFix, but there doesn't seem any reason why it should and it's not at all consistent. You just seem to be "shifted" (usually east or West I find) a couple of hundred yards off the road.
I have even seen it where there have been two speed camera icons for mobile sites on a bridge over the road, and my car icon has passed between them, but in a field, with the road itself off to the edge of the screen.

A reset DIDN'T fix it for me, but it always slowly came good over half an hour or so, with the "offset" distance getting smaller and smaller and the car "snapping" back onto the road more and more frequently.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem once with some Navigon software on a PDA as I drove north up the M6 (by Stoke-on-Trent). Everything was working fine until I overtook a police Range Rover which had an unusually large collection of aerials attached to its roof, whereupon the car symbol jumped about a half a mile to the west! As I drove on, the symbol gradually "converged" back on to the road, in the same manner as Andy_P describes - took a good ten miles for it to sort itself out, though!

--

Cheers

Dave
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the issue on the a56, my outbound journey track was exactly on the road, however, the inbound leg some 4 hours later, the icon to the right of the main road, to such an extent that TomTom was instructing me to turn left down a side street to regain the correct track.

After the soft reset, I did a run to Lytham St Annes and then up to Bispham and back home without any problems whatsoever.

I've wondered about the QuickGPS Fix in the past and if it serves any useful function at all. What do others think?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it happen a few years ago when I was running TT Navigator on a PDA - for the last 40 miles of a 200 mile journey my position was shown about 100 yards to the right of the road.
In that case I also had CoPilot in the same PDA. I switched to that and it showed exactly the same effect. Soft resets did nothing. Next day all was well.
It's possible that one of the satellites was sending out duff data and it corrected itself.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By an extraordinary coincidence, having written above that it happened to me about 3 years ago on my PDA, I experienced the same thing today with my TT One as I was driving south towards Carmarthen (or Caerffyrddin if Darren is reading this!). In a few miles I stopped in a layby and a 30 second paperclip reset sorted things out
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I live in Florida and oddly today my icon seemed to be out by 50yds or so. When your travelling along a road its not too bad but every time you get near a side road it tries to get you over on that instead.

It has never done this before and immediately i did the reset and it seems ok now.

Is there something wrong with the satellites providing the fix, surely all these units can't be having the same problems at the same times?

Don't tell me those aliens from "Independance Day - The movie" have finally turned up Very Happy
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've only just noticed this forum and on Tuesday, I was in Nottingham, an area that I have never been to, when it went silly, about 16:00 if I remember. I chose navigate to a couple of times which did nothing. I eventually had to stop and do a reset.
I think someone at CERN must have hit the wrong switch! Twisted Evil

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turned mine on several times today at home, and each time it's shown me to be in different parts of the district, up to a mile away. I've even been able to "Navigate to" my home address, and plan routes varying from 1 to 5 minutes journey time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: