Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP IPAQ 314
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP IPAQ 314
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
but I found that it was actually necessary to do a hard reset by pressing the reset button. No doubt we will confirm this point when more users have installed the database.

Are you sure you performed a true hard reset of the device? - doing this will wipe out any software installed to the memory and return it to the "out of the box when new" config.
Probably terminology, but if users actually perform a Hard Reset it can wipe out anything stored - pressing the reset button with a stylus is only a soft reset, and something a PDA user will get quite used to given a few days with any device - Mike
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it was a soft reset, Mike. Best to just do a battery pull. I don't know how you would do a hard reset on this device.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Are you sure you performed a true hard reset of the device? - doing this will wipe out any software installed to the memory and return it to the "out of the box when new" config.

Yes Mike, you are right of course. My sloppy terminology - it was a case of pressing the reset button. The unit restarts after disconnecting the USB lead, but that didn't do the trick. The button did.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal,
Wonder whether a battery pull has the same effect as a soft reset. Do your speed cameras only show only when you have a route set up? Also, do the cameras show in both directions?
I ask because the installed ones only show in one direction only. Go the other way and they don't seem to show.
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to use the reset button, after all that's what it's for. It will certainly be cleaner than pulling the battery which has multiple contacts.

The cameras should all display regardless of a route being set but should only alarm in the direction(s) that the camera is looking, if the direction is properly described in the database. Not all the cameras in the PGPSW database have the directions included yet but they are catching up fast (I submitted 4 yesterday).

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a brief road test with the iPAQ today, with slightly disappointing results as far as speedcams are concerned. To avoid drifting off-topic here I've posted them in the iGO forum.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=68858

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted in that thread also.
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm that the 17th July database is loaded and working in my iPAQ 314.
There are some issues about the way the iPAQ uses the data (discussed in the other thread), but these have nothing to do with the database itself or the way it is loaded, which is very simple.
Perhaps it is time to mention the iPAQ in the list of supported devices?

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONE IT!!!!! Downloaded that update file (1.8Gb) from HP and installed it. Now have 5 Mar 2008 version. Put the PGPSW files in the folder, reset and low and behold, now have a speedcam.spdb of 163Kb!
So it must have been the older version of the operating system that was stopping it.
All that time wasted - not only mine but yours. Thanks to both of you for your time.
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: You know it makes sense! Reply with quote

And what a difference - it's like having a new machine!! Speed cameras appear where they are supposed to be, 3D maps appear where they should be, the date doesn't change format on switching on/off - it's a whole different machine.
So if you are having trouble and your machine has software dated Nov 07, find out the Mar 08 upgrade and get it upgraded.
Doug
Very Happy
DenLongstaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: igo txt file seems ok on ipaq314 Reply with quote

Thanks Sal - I tried my old txt file from my myguide / igo (now stollen) on my ipaq314 (following your suggestions) and can see cameras now (even though this was not the PWPSW txtx file - actually a 'competitor').

Seems to work fine . From what I'm hearing its not worth using the HP download.

Den
DenLongstaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: ipaq314 version? Reply with quote

Doug - how can you tell the version of firmware you have ?
Are you using Settings / system / about ?
And loking at the NAV Version ?

Cheers
Den
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Den
Sorry but passed it on to my daughter and can't remember. Think what you said was right though. If my daughter comes avisiting with the HP, I'll ask her.
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the PGPSW speedcams on the iPaq 314 for several weeks now, and am very pleased with it. There are some limitations with this version of iGO (it isn't iGO 8), but you can work round most of them with a few tweaks. If anyone is interested I will post some notes.

Sal
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please, Sal
The 0mph cameras are the most annoying; I've had to disable traffic light camera warnings, and the variable speed warnings are a nuisance.
Otherwise I'm getting used to the clicks and twittering!
Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: