Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Swapping iPAQ2210 between 2 cars
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Swapping iPAQ2210 between 2 cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Swapping iPAQ2210 between 2 cars Reply with quote

Hi guys........

I have recently purchased a 2210/TTN3/Wired with the TT car kit from TotalPDA (which are a good suplier to deal with) and so far, everything is going well. I stayed away from BT after reading various moans on these forums and thought id stick with wired even though I have every intention of using the system in 2 cars...........

The kit is currently set up in a Toyota Hilux using the TomTom windscreen suction cup (this is the newer kit with no gooseneck nor vent mounting option). I have it set up on the right of the steering wheel as easier to tap while driving (really close to the wheel but still safe). The supplied coiled 12V lead goes behind a trim panel and into a 12v extension which goes along the underside of the dash trim and is terminated in the back of the fag lighter socket (have a snopper s4 out the front of it). The supplied wired GPS is just under/infront of the suction mount, the cable for this been tied up and cable-tied to the underside of the mount.

I want to use the PDA/GPS in a Vauxhall Zafira but will only be used 3 or 4 times a month in that. So I am looking for a second active holder and GPS wired receiver and charger similar to the TomTom supplied setup, ie GPS and power go into the cradle, all I have to do is drop the PDA into the cradle and drive off.

Any suggestions on what other kit I can use? On the Zafira I think the windscreen is too slopped for me to use a suction cup as the PDA would be too far away to use. Again looking to have it installed on the right of the wheel (but not essential, only ideal) What GPS recievers can I buy that will just plug straight into a mount (with no splitter cables etc) and dont require any setup changes in TomTom.

Thanks in advance

Steve

PS, have emailed updated BP POI's but not yet appeard on the site, if anyone wants them then let me know.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a ProClip and Brodit mount in my Zafira. I'd recommend it.

David
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the the mount attatch to the dash? Center or to the right of steering wheel?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you goto www.brodit.com and enter your vehicle details you will see the mounting location options for your vehicle.
minesapint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here,
www.cellustar.co.uk
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Brodit and cellstar links.

Will probably get a Brodit clip even though they dont do one for right hand of wheel, will just get the center dash one.

The Brodit mount is not an active mount though so would need one of them cable splitter things which I wanted to avoid, prefer a cradle that the GPS/power plugs into and then you just drop the iPAQ into (similar to tomtom) If i bought a second tomtom cradle for the HP 2210 then how would this attach to the pro-clip?

What 2nd GPS mouse can I buy that would need the same settings as the TomTom supplied one so I dont have to change the settings within TomTom?

Thanks

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 'Y' cable; that connects the TomTom Wired GPS and cigarette lighter power to the cradle but you need this cradle for this to work as it has a pass-thru connector built in.

At the rear of the cradle is a swivel mount, this attatches to the ProClip with 4x screws.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You can get a 'Y' cable; that connects the TomTom Wired GPS and cigarette lighter power to the cradle but you need this cradle for this to work as it has a pass-thru connector built in.

At the rear of the cradle is a swivel mount, this attatches to the ProClip with 4x screws.

But this is a non active mount........

Have now bought a 2nd tomtom kit (older style with vent mount etc options) and have on order 2 proclips (2 diff types, one will be for mobile phone) and a 2nd wired TomTom GPS unit. How can I mount the tomtom cradle on the mount so that it is angled toward the driver?

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a non-active mount, the power would be supplied via the GPS which has a 12v cigarette lighter power lead?

As for your query, a good question the answer to which I'll be honest I don't know not having ever had a TomTom car kit! Brodit's cradles come with the swivel mount, they have 4 holes, 1 at each corner which I assume are a standard spacing but I'm not sure if the TomTom cradle has holes to which these could attach? I don't see them as a stand alone accessory option at Brodit's site either.

My best advice would be to approach a car phone installer or car audio dealer who may have a solution or swivel mount that would suit?
anl95
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Darren, can you tell me where I can buy this lead please??

I am struggling to source one and I have just bought a Brodit "pass thru" mount.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handnav stock them, see here.
anl95
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren!!! Thumbs Up

Bit steep innit??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do most things but control market forces and set retail prices is beyond me, sorry Wink
anl95
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let you off then!!!! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: