Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MMap - how to start again!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MMap - how to start again!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjcactus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: MMap - how to start again!? Reply with quote

1.How can I easily copy all the stuff I have on MMap..ie Routes, Waypoints and Tracks to elswhere on my pc and be available to be returned if and when required at a future time...so I can then delete all R,W and Tracks..and start with a clean, fast Memory map sheet?

2. And, when that's done, anyone know how I could easily arrange to have Waypoint numbers on a Route, as per say, 01, 02, 03, 04 etc rather than say WP 0201, WP 0202, WP 0203 etc?

Reason need to spring clean...
Because 1. The software seems to be bloated and slowing down with all the Routes, Waypoints and Tracks I have on it, and.
2. Waypoint numbers are into 5 digits now and starting to become intrusive when shown on maps, and
3. Waypoint numbers shown on Routes on MM are somtimes somehow different when on Garmin...

Thanks, John
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1.How can I easily copy all the stuff I have on MMap..ie Routes, Waypoints and Tracks to elswhere on my pc and be available to be returned if and when required at a future time...so I can then delete all R,W and Tracks..and start with a clean, fast Memory map sheet?

Make sure all your routes etc. are visible by doing Overlay -- Show All -- All.
Then do Overlay -- Export Visible to save everything to a .mmo file.

Quote:
2. And, when that's done, anyone know how I could easily arrange to have Waypoint numbers on a Route, as per say, 01, 02, 03, 04 etc rather than say WP 0201, WP 0202, WP 0203 etc?

Tricky - I don't think MM has waypoint options as detailed as that. If I want to make significant mass-changes to a route, I always export it to a file in .rxf format and use a powerful text editor to achieve what I want, then import it back into MM.

An observation/question:- it seems to be common practice for people to have all their routes loaded in MM at the same time. Why?. As you say, with a lot of routes loaded the software really slows down. Every change you make that affects waypoints requires MM to trawl through the entire overlay data making changes to all the points, and there may be a huge number of them.
I spend many hours regularly planning routes and I normally have just the route I'm working on, plus maybe one or two others if I'm studying different route possibilities in a certain area, but no more than that. When I'm finished with that route, I save it to its own file and wipe it from MM, starting with a clean slate for the next route.

One guy complained about his sluggish MM performance and his routes totalled over half a million loaded waypoints!.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what model of GARMIN GPS you are using the but the newer range (Colorado and presumably Oregon) seem to have a neat feature. When I copy routes from MM to my C300 I use the .GPX format. The C300 sees the routes and the route waypoints and plots them etc - but they don't appear in the waypoint list on my C300. At least this allows me to virtually ignore the curious numbering system MM uses. Like GeoffC I regularly archive past routes etc and this means I'm working with a virtually clean MM system for most of the time.
pjcactus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GeoffC]
Make sure all your routes etc. are visible by doing Overlay -- Show All -- All.
Then do Overlay -- Export Visible to save everything to a .mmo file.

Tricky - I don't think MM has waypoint options as detailed as that. If I want to make significant mass-changes to a route, I always export it to a file in .rxf format and use a powerful text editor to achieve what I want, then import it back into MM.[/quote]

TVM Geoff. I expect all stuff will be within that mmo file...and to import back a particular Route all would need be imported?...so the answer is for future do as you do...save each Route etc to a specific mmo file and file it...excellent TVM for that.

And ref renumbering...again thanks for the tip...do you recommend any particular text editor?
Thanks again.
John
pjcactus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
You don't say what model of GARMIN GPS you are using the but the newer range (Colorado and presumably Oregon) seem to have a neat feature. When I copy routes from MM to my C300 I use the .GPX format. The C300 sees the routes and the route waypoints and plots them etc - but they don't appear in the waypoint list on my C300. At least this allows me to virtually ignore the curious numbering system MM uses. Like GeoffC I regularly archive past routes etc and this means I'm working with a virtually clean MM system for most of the time.

Its a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. To transfer from MM to Garmin I right click/Send to GPS. I'm unsure if this uses .GPX format or not?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjcactus wrote:
...do you recommend any particular text editor?

Hi John,

Almost any text editor (even Notepad) will allow you to search and replace, e.g. all the WP0... strings. Alternatively, a spreadsheet such as Excel (there can be problems with Open Office) will allow more specific changes.

You can also export the file from MM in .CSV format; look for CSV in the MM help file to find how the columns are defined.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alan says, Notepad does simple replacements, and .csv format is very useful because you can use both text editors and spreadsheet applications.

I normally use the very powerful UltraEdit myself.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. Rather than Overlay - Show All - All - Export Visible, you can simply do Overlay - Export All.
(I do this regularly as a secondary backup).

As stated, this does export everything to one big file, but it does keep the indexing categories you've set up (Routes Area A, Tracks Area B etc). This may or may not suit you better than exporting everything individually and then regrouping in separate files.

2. Exporting and editing routes does give you full control over your new waypoint names, but it takes a few operations to complete.

If you're happy with waypoints in the form WP01...WP99...WP540 etc then you can simply right click on the route and click Operations - Convert to Track. (Don't worry, your original route is retained). In the Properties of the Track, set the Min Update Distance to zero. Now right click the Track and click Operations - Convert to Route. This new route will have the Waypoints renumbered as stated above.

Dales
pjcactus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
Hi,

2. Exporting and editing routes does give you full control over your new waypoint names, but it takes a few operations to complete.

If you're happy with waypoints in the form WP01...WP99...WP540 etc then you can simply right click on the route and click Operations - Convert to Track. (Don't worry, your original route is retained). In the Properties of the Track, set the Min Update Distance to zero. Now right click the Track and click Operations - Convert to Route. This new route will have the Waypoints renumbered as stated above.

Dales

My Savior!!...after spending frustrating hours getting to grips with exporting, editing and importing Routes using this and that, Notepad etc...finally success... waypoints changed on MM from WP1010 etc to 1,2,3 or WP1, WP2 etc...ah, good...Send to GPS...damn! waypoints shown on the Garmin 60CSx as WP1010, WP1011 etc!!
..but your change Route to Track suggestion - that's fine - I'll settle for that...really wanted 1,2,3 or 01,02,03 etc...but I'm more than happy with WP01,WP02 etc.
Thanks very much Dales.
John
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
Send to GPS...damn! waypoints shown on the Garmin 60CSx as WP1010, WP1011 etc!!

Do you mean it does this after the editing process? (This may show a need for more detailed editing).

Or does it do it after converting Route to Track to Route again?

The latter method works well on my own Garmin Etrex Vista (barring the fact that if WP names are duplicated, the Garmin will add a suffix WP01_1, WP01_2 etc to distinguish them.

In the Properties panel of the Route, you can double-click on, say, WP10 and inspect its Waypoint Properties. The 'Name on GPS' field should be the same as the Waypoint name ie WP10 (...or blank if you haven't transferred to GPS yet). It certainly shouldn't be WP1010. Check that you are looking at the waypoint names of the New route and not the earlier route before modification.

Dales.
pjcactus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
Send to GPS...damn! waypoints shown on the Garmin 60CSx as WP1010, WP1011 etc!!

Do you mean it does this after the editing process? (This may show a need for more detailed editing).

Or does it do it after converting Route to Track to Route again?

Dales.

...I expect its down to my inexperienced editing...changed ok on MM but original WP's shown on Garmin!

No, after Route to Track to Route all is well with both MM and Garmin showing same WP's..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: