Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory map problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory map problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrispikepirate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Memory map problems Reply with quote

Hi, I am having problems loading memory map maps on to my handheld garmin etrex. The micro sd card is showing the map but when I go to the map set up page on the unit only the pre installed base map is available.
Any help would be great as i am close to pulling my hair out!
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map maps are in a format that Garmin GPS units cannot recognise. You can't load them onto a Garmin unit. You can load routes and waypoints from Memory Map, but not the maps themselves

Rick
chrispikepirate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickwiggans wrote:
Memory Map maps are in a format that Garmin GPS units cannot recognise. You can't load them onto a Garmin unit. You can load routes and waypoints from Memory Map, but not the maps themselves

Rick
Thanks for your help, i suppose i'll have to buy the garmin mapsource cd!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrispikepirate wrote:

What are you trying to do?

Buying the Mapsource s/w won't allow you to load and MemoryMap mapping. As pointed out you can upload/download Routes Waypoints etc from MemoryMap - but you don't need Mapsource to do this.

The only mapping that will run on your unit will be provided by GARMIN.. Typically this is Topo GB (V2) and I would check theGARMIN website to see if it meets your needs/expectations - it's better than nothing - but nowhere near an OSGB product.
chrispikepirate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks again, I did mean the Topo gb map. Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
chrispikepirate wrote:

What are you trying to do?

Buying the Mapsource s/w won't allow you to load and MemoryMap mapping. As pointed out you can upload/download Routes Waypoints etc from MemoryMap - but you don't need Mapsource to do this.

The only mapping that will run on your unit will be provided by GARMIN.. Typically this is Topo GB (V2) and I would check theGARMIN website to see if it meets your needs/expectations - it's better than nothing - but nowhere near an OSGB product.
andyhum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: days of messing Reply with quote

well after days of messing around i now see the maps won't transfer to Garmin. The next problem is the set up for the pc to actualy see te garmin as a device rather than a storage device and the same for memory map i thought it should be plug and go but NO any ideas what settings to change to make them talk my Garmin is the colorado 300 cheers
chrispikepirate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: days of messing Reply with quote

Iwouldent bother messing about, I just purchased a garmin micro sd card for southern england and wales topo maps for around 58 pounds. Put it in my etrex and it works great- got the link from ebay.
Hope this helps.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: days of messing Reply with quote

andyhum wrote:
well after days of messing around i now see the maps won't transfer to Garmin. The next problem is the set up for the pc to actualy see te garmin as a device rather than a storage device and the same for memory map i thought it should be plug and go but NO any ideas what settings to change to make them talk my Garmin is the colorado 300 cheers

Make sure your C300 is running the latest firmware by using Webupdater from the GARMIN web site. The latest version allows the C300 to implement what GARMIN call Spanner - basically a serial coms port over the USB link. His should connect your C300 to the PC and any s/w.

But it depends on what you want to do! If you want to transfer routes and waypoints I find the simplest way is to save them as .GPX files from MemoryMap and simply copy them to the C300 (in file storage mode) to the appropriate folder (GARMIN/GPX I think - don't have C300 with me at present.) One interesting effect is that waypoint routes (ie those created when planning the route in MemoryMap) don't appear in the C300 waypoint list - which can be a bit confusing - but it does allow you not to worry about MM's annoying habit of duplicating waypoint names sometimes.

You would only need to use the GPS comms (using GARMIN Spanner) if you wanted to plot your position in realtime on the PC/Laptop.

Similarly you can copy the tracklog from the C300, which is stored in GPX format and import this into MemoryMap.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Philpug. Are you saying that the much delayed upgrade to Memory Map (5.2.7 I think) that supports the new Garmin storage device mode is not now necessary and that any reasonably recent version of Memory Map will communicated with these new Garmins ?

Cheers
Neil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

My C300 works with my version of mapsource (not sure of the actual version number) but it was the version out around the beginning of this year.

I regularly up and download information (waypoints, tracks, maps etc) from it to my C300.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: