Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Huh? This Will Cost a Fortune in Fines-As For Points...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Huh? This Will Cost a Fortune in Fines-As For Points...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Huh? This Will Cost a Fortune in Fines-As For Points... Reply with quote

Hello to you all. I celebrate my very first post in the forums with a mixture of a question, a bit of a smile, and a furrowed brow.

Brand new to the world of GPS, and an end to getting lost on my way home from the shops, I was delighted with my new (but old) StreetPilot c510. How impressive was the 30-day speed camera trial subscription. How "p"-ed off I was to learn that Garmin would not accept my debit card, thus preventing any renewal.

And then I found pocketgpsworld. One - it was user-friendly and - two - it was much cheaper per annum with much more than a mere speed camera database.

I confess it took me longer than many others to read all about the Garmin POI Loader, and I hunted high and low to learn how to update points of interest and upload them with the camera db. But I got there, and I was polishing my fingernails with a huff of breath and rubbing them on my lapel.

Then, I was struck by what I can only assume was either a bit of a joke by the script writers, a genuine typo error, or councils across Southern England that wished to add to the boast about income from "safety cameras" trebling up into the millions of pounds in the past five years. (I forget where I read that story, sorry.)

The area at the traffic lights near my home in Norwich, almost the whole A4 main road through Hungerford, Berks, and other places that I cannot recall now, all of these places had "Speed Alerts" of two, that's right, 2 miles per hour. The traffic lights were not so bad when the lights were at red, but when they turned green, and driving through Hungerford...

Well, any pedestrian that could hear my words outside of my vehicle would wish to seek absolution just for overhearing the things I had to say about that flaming Garmin "boing"!

Well, there it goes and here it comes - my question. Was I the only one to experience this? If so, what do you think I might have done wrong? And finally, does anybody have a loaded pistol so that I can shoot that smug female inside my unit who dares to tell me where to go after such an interlude!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Can i ask a couple of questions. When you unzipped the database did you put the files into any folders or rename the folder? If so can you tell me the name of that folder.

What database did you download? Consolidated, Single File or Speed Zoned?

Do you know the Camera Numbers of the Camera involved? All cameras have an ID such as GATSO:12345@30 or REDLIGHT:33333@40
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I downloaded the single file as I wasn't sure if my unit would have taken any other, and the guidelines tended to point that way. The file was extracted with Extract Now and and the name remained unchanged.

I created a folder called POI in which I added the folders containing d/loaded points of interest and the self-created folder containing the camera db. The whole was upped into the unit with Garmin POI Loader.

I know of no camera that covers the traffic lights at the junction of Dereham Road and Old Palace Road and Heigham Road at coordinates N53º38'00.94" x E1º16'43.30". As for Hungerford, Berkshire, the speed alert began at N51º25'08.39" x E1º30'35.65", and ended at about N51º25'06.76" x E1º30'53.19".

At the traffic lights it would be fair to say that there is a radar traffic flow device. To the best of my knowledge, these only register traffic in order to affect the timings of the light operations. There is always a warning tone on my radar/laser detector at this point. As for Hungerford, the distance from start to finish just doesn't sit with the idea of any known device, apart from conjuring up images of a plump and jolly village bobby, pedalling swiftly behind me with a hand-held in an effort to up his monthly ticketing allowance.

So, in brief, I uploaded two folders within one folder. Each contained the files unadulterated in any way. Maybe I should have placed the camera file physically inside the POI file, rather than lump two to form one.

Thanks for the swift reply, by the way Very Happy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark507 wrote:
I know of no camera that covers the traffic lights at the junction of Dereham Road and Old Palace Road and Heigham Road at coordinates N53º38'00.94" x E1º16'43.30". As for Hungerford, Berkshire, the speed alert began at N51º25'08.39" x E1º30'35.65", and ended at about N51º25'06.76" x E1º30'53.19".
As far as the Norwich traffic lights are concerned, there is no camera listed in the PGPSW Database. The nearest camera to that is either the Redspeed on Grapes Hill, or the Mobile on Drayton Road. Both some half a mile away.

There are only 3 cameras anywhere near Hungerford. 2 are @60 either side on the A4. 1 is about 1 mile West and the other is 2 miles East. The 3rd is an @30, just North of the A4 on the A338.

By the way, Hungerford is West of Greenwich. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you spotted my deliberate mistake, then? Confused

What is most strange is that the Norwich incidence only started to occur after I fitted my radar/laser device. Although switching it off made no difference. It was an annoyance for me, as that is my main way to anywhere from where I live, just one tenth of a mile away, as Miss Garmin likes to remind me.

I have tried to place the camera db physically inside the POI db in this latest update, rather than put the two wholes together to make one. On a "test" drive, the 2mph speed alert is not apparent.

I would like to thank you for your response, and taking me seriously. That 2mph speed alert was extremely frustrating, although blatantly in error. I was pleased to presume that I had not made any torturous errors in transferring the files, though.

Now I must go and put Hungerford back where I found it Laughing
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark507 wrote:
I created a folder called POI in which I added the folders containing d/loaded points of interest and the self-created folder containing the camera db. The whole was upped into the unit with Garmin POI Loader.

It's a long time since I used my i3, so my memory may well be at fault, but I thought you needed to add the files, not folders, to the device via POILoader.
Samsung Galaxy S21
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the only area where I think I might have blundered. I have to say, though, that having uploaded the present updates that way, all seems okay. The POI are all being read, and a "drive-through" past that offending junction is clear, whilst the fixed camera sites all display correctly.

I uploaded in a folder merely in time-cutting mode. It would take days to upload 23 thousand-odd different files. But please point me in the right direction if I am mucking things up (something I am quite good at, I might add). Shocked
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
23 thousand-odd different files

OK. There's definitely some confusion going on here. Where do you get 23 thousand odd files from??

You can load POIs in sub folders and it'll create sub-folders under the Custom POIs folder. However you must be careful not to use certain words or any numbers as this can produce funny results.

The best way to manage and load you POIs is to put all the CSV and BMP files in a single folder and upload them all from there.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
You can load POIs in sub folders and it'll create sub-folders under the Custom POIs folder. However you must be careful not to use certain words or any numbers as this can produce funny results.

Like giving alerts at 2mph if the folder name contains the number 2?
Samsung Galaxy S21
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like giving alerts at 2mph if the folder name contains the number 2?

Yes....... or alert if it contains a magic word such as Gatso, Redlight, Mobile etc etc
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my use of language confuses.

I see each "point of interest" created as a "file", and a number of points of interest files lumped together in a "folder".

Therefore, My most recent update, with my choices of pois and the camera db (I assume each camera is loaded as a single "file" into a "folder", which, when complete, is called a "file") contained more than 23 thousand different pois.

Perhaps I am being pedantic...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe my use of language confuses.

I think so... I'm getting confused by your use of the words File and Folder..

You can open some of the smaller CSV files with Notepad to see the contents. Each line is the Longitude, Latitude and Name of a single POI (Point Of Interest). A Collection of POIs are held in a POI File. So the POI file for, say, Sainsburys, would contain all the locations for Sainsburys stores and might be called Sainsburys.CSV.

You can collect many POI files together in a folder.

When you run POILoader it reads through all the POI files in the folder and collates it into one big file called POI.GPI and sends it to your Sat Nav.

Having said that you've done everything right .... Wink
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rose by any other name... Very Happy

I tried to create my own list of places in Norwich(I blame Alan Partridge for so many places in Norwich being omitted. Why, our University hospital has no A&E depatment, according to my present list Laughing ), but failed miserably.

I will keep on trying, though, you'll see.

No, I was getting frustrated that I kept getting errors, so I played dumb and just clicked the unzipped folders as they were. That worked, so I will stick to that now I have your confirmation that I did it right. Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: